Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Florence Nightingale

(4 Posts)
varian Fri 03-Apr-20 15:55:55

It is very fitting that the new Covid19 pandemic emergency hospital opened today in London has been named after Florence Nightingale, who was born 200 years ago. Although she is known as a nurse, her major contribution to the advancement of health was in the field of epidemiology and medical statistics.

"Florence Nightingale exhibited a gift for mathematics from an early age and excelled in the subject under the tutelage of her father. Later, Nightingale became a pioneer in the visual presentation of information and statistical graphics.[60] She used methods such as the pie chart, which had first been developed by William Playfair in 1801. While taken for granted now, it was at the time a relatively novel method of presenting data.

Indeed, Nightingale is described as "a true pioneer in the graphical representation of statistics", and is credited with developing a form of the pie chart now known as the polar area diagram, or occasionally the Nightingale rose diagram, equivalent to a modern circular histogram, to illustrate seasonal sources of patient mortality in the military field hospital she managed. Nightingale called a compilation of such diagrams a "coxcomb", but later that term would frequently be used for the individual diagrams.[62] She made extensive use of coxcombs to present reports on the nature and magnitude of the conditions of medical care in the Crimean War to Members of Parliament and civil servants who would have been unlikely to read or understand traditional statistical reports. In 1859, Nightingale was elected the first female member of the Royal Statistical Society."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Nightingale

Urmstongran Fri 03-Apr-20 16:13:09

She hit on the idea of washing hands between seeing patients didn’t she?

Well done that woman.
?

Urmstongran Fri 03-Apr-20 16:34:13

Sorry varian, ignore me. This was about data & presentation of statistics. Obviously above my pay grade!
?

SueDonim Fri 03-Apr-20 19:06:08

I think that was Ignaz Semmelweis, who cut mortality rates at a maternity hospital in the 1840’s. Sadly, his theories were mocked and ignored and didn’t become mainstream until decades later. He eventually had a nervous breakdown and died. Such a sad life. sad