Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I don't think I had any idea

(52 Posts)
Greymar Fri 03-Apr-20 21:13:01

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRM5yyaDkMc&fbclid=IwAR1yc7q55fgHJ4lzaQMNMkvtIs3t3OjShjm8nKUMtr2XpukZLdooU7J4uFs

Namsnanny Fri 03-Apr-20 22:04:38

Before I take time out to watch this, could you give a brief synopsis Greymar?

Lucca Fri 03-Apr-20 22:31:44

Watch it. It’s worth it.

Elegran Fri 03-Apr-20 23:30:54

Yes, watch it. There isn't really any synopsis to give.

Como2020 Fri 03-Apr-20 23:32:55

Watch it.

BradfordLass73 Sat 04-Apr-20 01:06:27

It annoys me when someone puts just a URL without explanation because for some of us, what we get is "Video not available in your area"

So I agree with Namsnanny a brief synopsis would be polite as well as sensible.

rosecarmel Sat 04-Apr-20 01:40:57

Below is a summary from the video:

Published on Apr 2, 2020
Sky News' Special Correspondent Stuart Ramsay travels to the heart of Europe's coronavirus pandemic. In the city of Bergamo in Northern Italy he meets doctors fighting the illness that's changing the entire world and witnesses the impact Covid-19 is having on people, infrastructure and the economy.

growstuff Sat 04-Apr-20 01:57:05

I've just watched and I'd say that's accurate. The team goes inside a modern, well equipped hospital in Milan, where the resources are totally overwhelmed.

growstuff Sat 04-Apr-20 01:59:01

Sorry! Bergamo (the epicentre of the virus in Italy) not Milan.

Lucca Sat 04-Apr-20 05:36:19

It’s very good, no scaremongering or overdramatising, just factual. Apologies when I said it watch it that’s what I meant !

Greymar Sat 04-Apr-20 07:36:37

You are right I should have provided a synopsis. Perhaps I shouldn't have shared this. I was in some distress at the time.

Lucca Sat 04-Apr-20 07:39:21

Understandable Greymar.

Greymar Sat 04-Apr-20 07:42:13

pm you Lucca

Como2020 Sat 04-Apr-20 08:19:41

I am pleased you shared it Greymar. It was a good thing to do, with or without a synopsis.

Urmstongran Sat 04-Apr-20 08:48:35

Thank you for the synopsis rosecarmel. Now I know what it’s about I can swerve it. Why on earth would I want to watch something distressful when I’m already scared? What good would that do for my mental health.

I realise there are shocking realities out there and much of it will be coming to a place near ourselves. I can’t help them breathe by watching poorly people on ventilators. I can’t magic up supplies for the stressed out medical professionals.

Nope, looking the other way is best for me at the moment. Anything else seems like voyeurism - like slowing down at the scene of a car crash to rubberneck.

Greymar Sat 04-Apr-20 08:55:00

I came accross it on my local fb group. It was posted as a response to people continueing to meet up. The person posted it as a plea . I watched about 5 minutes and stopped.

We are not quite in our right minds at the moment and inclined to make bad choices.

I am so sick of being crapped on, on this site.

Como2020 Sat 04-Apr-20 09:08:41

It is a distressing and tough watch, yet I didn’t feel it was in any way rubbernecking.
Reality can be grim. It has come close to home for me, which is why I would urge people to watch it.

I am still astonished that many people in the UK still don’t wear masks, or some kind of face covering, when mixing with others ... such as key workers, out shopping, walking etc. Without testing, one cannot know whether one is infectious (but without symptoms) or not. Masks are important for others as well as for ourselves.

merlotgran Sat 04-Apr-20 09:16:56

I watched it late last night and wondered about posting something like, 'Don't watch this just before going to bed.'

Not scaremongering but shocking all the same.

I think Urmstongran is right about not watching anything distressing if you think it's going to be upsetting. Protecting your mental health is more important.

Elegran Sat 04-Apr-20 09:25:42

I felt it was a good account of what is actually happening in a city a few weeks ahead of us, but as with all the government and medical advice and the repeated media reminders, it is those who don't need to learn from it who will watch it. The ones who don't stay a good distance from other people, who don't cover their mouths when they cough or wash their hands often enough, or who think "I'm fit and healthy, I won't catch it" will think it is scaremongering. By that, I don't mean those who are doing all the right things but would prefer not to see the inside of an intensive care ward.

suziewoozie Sat 04-Apr-20 09:35:35

I haven’t watched it but for ages I’ve seen scenes on C4 news from Italy and Spain showing terribly overcrowded hospitals. Sadly even if the idiots who go out tomorrow did watch scenes like this, they’d dismiss them as ‘fake news’ or part of a conspiracy theory. I hope the police stay safe tomorrow whilst helping to protect us from those that think the rules don’t apply to them.

Lucca Sat 04-Apr-20 09:37:09

Totally unfair to call it rubbernecking and especially if you haven’t watched it. Fair enough don’t watch it but don’t be unkind to the OP.

It was not voyeuristic either, extremely calm and factual.

Bathsheba Sat 04-Apr-20 10:16:37

I started watching this, but I'm sorry to say I couldn't continue. I managed about 9 minutes, but seriously didn't want to follow the team into the hospital and see the reality.

I am scared enough as it is, and I am doing everything I can to protect myself, and though I know this virus is the most deadly killer ever on this planet, I am trying to keep sane. Trying to maintain some hope that we will all emerge one day into a safer world, where we can see our loved ones again and hug them. If that's naive of me, then so be it. I shall hold onto my dreams for as long as I possibly can.

Maybelater2020 Sat 04-Apr-20 10:43:13

Agreed Urmstongran the synopsis helped me to decide not to watch it. Not sticking my head in the sand but know when to protect myself. I am more than aware of what is happening in these hospitals. Maybe not everyone is and may find it useful to watch but not for me.

JackyB Sat 04-Apr-20 11:27:55

I just kept shouting at him for going there. Couldn't they have used seine footage to show the empty streets? Did the reporter HAVE to fly to Italy and hire a car and bother those people while they were working? Sorry, I did make the mistake of watching it before going to bed and only watched the first 10 minutes.

Welshwife Sat 04-Apr-20 12:18:39

Once I started watching it I found it compelling viewing. So very well done and factual. If this virus really takes hold in those countries with poor hospital coverage etc they just will not be able to cope.