Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Difference of opinions about the 'rules'

(42 Posts)
ExD Sat 04-Apr-20 18:37:44

My friend's daughter has been on holiday in Scotland. She's due home on Sunday (tomorrow).
Will she be allowed to drive home 200+ miles or will she have to stay where she is?
They tell us not to leave the house except for the 4 specific reasons. Is this a permitted journey? I don't want to be a kill joy but I rather think she'll be expected to stay in the hotel. This will cost her of course.

MissAdventure Sat 04-Apr-20 18:40:47

I would have thought she should stay.
What do people do who can't afford it, though?

notanan2 Sat 04-Apr-20 18:47:44

People are allowed to return to their usual residence, in fact many have been ordered to. GPs cannot cope with temporary registrations at the moment

MamaCaz Sat 04-Apr-20 18:48:13

Surely she is as entitled to return home as someone is from, say, Spain?

Very selfish and stupid of her to go in the first place though!

notanan2 Sat 04-Apr-20 18:48:41

Youre not supposed to stay in your own second home and people have been ordered to return to the addresses where they are registered to vote

MissAdventure Sat 04-Apr-20 18:49:51

Ah, of course, that makes sense notanan.

Curlywhirly Sat 04-Apr-20 18:54:23

Hm, well a question on TV was: could a child who was at Uni, return home, and the answer was yes, as long as the child and his parents (he was returning to them) self isolated. Granted, the question was asked a couple of weeks ago. But also think of those today who have just been rescued from a cruise abandoned in Florida, upon landing in the UK, they are being allowed to go home and self isolate.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 19:28:28

Yes I’m sure she’ll be allowed home - she’ll be one less drain on local resources if she falls ill. Why on Earth did she go in the first place?

Grammaretto Sat 04-Apr-20 19:38:17

Yes she should go home but take food and drink with her because the services will likely be shut.

EllanVannin Sat 04-Apr-20 19:50:25

As long as she self isolates like the rest of us I see no problem.

Missfoodlove Sat 04-Apr-20 23:14:32

I am amazed she is still on holiday in an hotel.
We are 12 days in to lockdown, my first thought would be to curtail the holiday and get home.

Namsnanny Sat 04-Apr-20 23:27:19

That's what I thought Missfoodlove!!

sodapop Sun 05-Apr-20 09:06:27

Exactly right Missfoodlove & Namsnanny I thought the hotel would be closing anyway. Time to go home and listen to all the advice/instruction from the Government and Health Service.

ExD Sun 05-Apr-20 10:04:18

I don't have any more information about why this girl went to Scotland for a holiday, or how long this holiday was supposed to last, or whether she is alone or not - I imagine she has a companion or is in a group. I haven't questioned my friend further as she gets upset, and I don't have and advice to offer, I just listen on the other end of the phone as its all I can do.
If she'd been my daughter I'd have wanted her home sooner.
I'd been pondering on this for a few days, and thinking apart from the shopping nightmare I was reasonably happy here where I live and comparing my fortunate situation with that of other people.
That took me to wondering what this girl can do as the B&B she is in want her OUT, and who can blame them. She really should have gone straight home last week IMO, but she didn't, and there lies the problem.
It seems to me she has no other option than to drive home. Now!

Fiachna50 Sun 05-Apr-20 10:12:10

I think she would need to drive home if she has nowhere else to go. I would have thought she would have left earlier. I don't know all the circumstances though. Might have a bit explaining to do if the police stop her, all she can do is tell them the situation she is in.

Paul2706 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:20:29

Every likelihood if using M6 in Lancashire she will get stopped police have been accused of being over zealous here I'm afraid but on the other side of the coin I was shopping for essentials yesterday in FW and even though floor was clearly marked one way round and 2 metres apart people were ignoring it all and why was I out because I cannot get a delivery slot with anyone for love or money. May get help from support group as from nxt week so that will help stay safe everyone ?

GoldenAge Sun 05-Apr-20 11:29:30

She should, and is allowed to and being asked to return to her home, the place where she is registered to vote and where there are resources for her. Local councils/boroughs are funded on the basis of numbers of residents. If she stays at her holiday destination she is effectively stealing resources from the locals. I wonder why she went on holiday in the first place as we've had instructions not to do this for weeks now. I also wonder why the hotel in Scotland remains open because those in England have closed as I thought or opened up as care homes.

Beanie654321 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:40:01

She can return home, but as been as we have been isolating now for some weeks what in earth possessed her to go away in first place. Very unfair on others.

Aepgirl Sun 05-Apr-20 11:41:31

Why did she go away?

polnan Sun 05-Apr-20 11:51:33

another selfish person, though I do understand why..

however.
what about the abused people, who we are told are forced to remain in the abusive situation? why can`t they get out then?

nannypiano Sun 05-Apr-20 11:52:31

I am wondering about the cruise people returning yesterday who are asked to self isolate. They will need food supplies and obviously mix with others when they have been in close contact with infected people. So surely this will spread the disease greatly.

Nonnie Sun 05-Apr-20 11:56:17

polnan there has been quite a lot on the radio about abuse and apparently extra resources are available to them. If they can't talk on their phones they just have to tap them and get help from the person on the other end. Not quite sure how it works but it did sound effective.

CherryCezzy Sun 05-Apr-20 12:18:33

She should definitely return home and she should abide by the minimum 14 days quarantine. Many B&B's are still open (unlike most other types of hotel) as there are many long term occupants who are living in them. Many are being used as temporary accommodation for people, often with families, who would otherwise be homeless.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-Apr-20 12:26:34

An interesting discussion, but it seems to me that you are all commenting on the basis of how you understand the official guidelines.

it would be more helpful surely to post a link to the official guidelines?

4allweknow Sun 05-Apr-20 12:52:51

Well the Chief Medical Officer for Scotland drove 40 miles to check on her 2nd home this week taking her family with her. Had an outing to the beach, stayed overnight then drove 40 miles back to Edinburgh. Surely the girl will be allowed to drive home as long as when she gets there and there and if others in the home they all self isolate for the given period to make sure she hasn't introduced the virus. May need to think about comfort breaks on her journey, will enough places be open and not crowded. Sure she will make it, the Medical chief did!