Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Excuses

(137 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 12:44:02

The excuses on here for going out are increasing again. No hair dressers this time, but exercise and dogs.

What is WRONG with people?

phoenix Sun 05-Apr-20 12:50:27

I live in a village, can walk without meeting anyone else, or touching anything. Moderate exercise is recommended for my COPD.

GagaJo are you saying that I should stay indoors under these circumstances?

(Genuine question, not being passive aggressive!)

notanan2 Sun 05-Apr-20 12:55:07

But that IS within the rules. Being outside isnt wrong so long as youre not mixing with non household members and not taking unecessary car journeys.

Working breed dogs need a lot of exercise or behaviour problems develop. We do not need our paramedics/police dealing with an increase of dog attacks right now!

notanan2 Sun 05-Apr-20 12:55:55

We do need to stay HEALTHY to fight the virus.

GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 12:59:26

Exercise indoors is totally possible. It's an excuse to say it isn't. The longer people are out, the longer we're in this mess.

It seems EVERYONE has a reason they're an exception. Which means we're going to be in this mess for getting on for a year. Unlike in places where people are in. Properly.

notanan2 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:01:55

GagaJo exercise outside IS allowed. So doing it isnt being an "exception"

And there are types of exercise, like what people with peripheral vascular disease have to do, which cannot be easily replicated at home without treatmills

The nation needs to stay apart AND healthy

Eglantine21 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:05:51

That’s what they were hoping for. That people could be sensible and realise the restrictions were there to keep them healthy. Away from the virus.

But what do you do if they won’t be sensible?

notanan2 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:09:46

Angled shots of beaches making people look closer than they are, whilst implying that people drove there when in fact the beach is surrounded by homes and the parking facilities are closed, are only serving to turn people against each other. There is nothing wrong with people who live literally ON the beach, going out there with their household only.

Nobody should swim as it puts pressure on rescue services

But its as valid a walk as a country lane if thats what you happen to have on your doorstep

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:10:16

Fine them, hit them in their purse. That will soon stop people behaving idiotically. So daily exercise on your own yes, keeping away from others yes. A parent with child should also be acceptable.

Charleygirl5 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:10:27

I would not think for a moment phoenix is sunbathing in the village. She is staying well within the rules we have been given. I choose not to go out- again that is not wrong- it is what suits me.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:12:16

Exercise indoors is totally possible. It's an excuse to say it isn't.

GagaJo why is it an "excuse". The rules say that we can, in fact, unless we are in the shielded category, I would say we have been encouraged to take an exercise in the fresh air for up to an hour. I can't quite see what your issue is with that.

notanan2 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:12:19

If phoenix lived in a block of flats that opened onto a beach, would the GN Kangaroo court still approve of her going for a walk?

Witzend Sun 05-Apr-20 13:13:37

Around here it’s perfectly possible, and always has been, to go for a walk without going anywhere near anyone else at all - and this is outer SW London.

Gagajo, if you choose to exercise indoors, fine. But please stop trying to tell those of us who are exercising perfectly safely in the fresh air, what to do.

TBH I’m beginning to think that you must have absorbed some totalitarian tendencies during your time in China .

Oopsminty Sun 05-Apr-20 13:14:04

We are still allowed to exercise daily.

Outside.

You can even drive your car to reach a more secluded destination as long as the journey is approximately 5 minutes.

Not sure what this thread is about really.

Misinformation

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:15:30

My DH passed a house yesterday whilst out with the dog, where a party and barbecue was taking place in the garden.

Loads of people all mingling happily together.

How on Earth do you control that on private property?

notanan2 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:25:19

If the HMO at the end of my road wanna have a bbq to make the most of being stuck in close quarters of each other, crack on!

Are people cross referencing the census before judging whether households can have a garden party?

Eglantine21 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:27:05

Oh well, you can see why we’re not going to get on top of this.....

notanan2 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:28:32

Oh well, you can see why we’re not going to get on top of this.....

We were never going to get on top of it in a few short weeks anyway. And its not because 'er next door went for a walk...

vampirequeen Sun 05-Apr-20 13:34:59

A doctor was on TV this morning encouraging us to take our daily exercise for the good of our physical and mental health. We went for a bike ride this morning. Didn't see a soul for most of it. Even when we did he was well over 10m away. Social distancing is not the same as total isolation.

rosenoir Sun 05-Apr-20 13:35:56

There seems to be a lot of "reasons" to break the rules or not follow the advice we have been given.

One person driving to a beauty spot to walk a dog, helping parents look after grandchildren, shopping daily ,going for a drive because of mental health or meeting relatives in a park seems fine to those doing it but what if everybody did it?

Nobody is special but there will always be the selfish and ignorant.

Eglantine21 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:36:15

You prove my point admirably....

notanan2 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:47:26

Rose this isnt about people breaking the rules.

Its about people who are following them being villified.

Walking and cycling and dog walking and partying with your household and turning over your car engine: all allowed!

eazybee Sun 05-Apr-20 13:47:40

I think this glorious weather has a lot to do with it; if it was pouring with rain, grey and bitterly cold, then far fewer people would 'need' to go out, apart of course, for the dog walkers.
(I do know some people who do go out for a walk every single day)

Oopsminty Sun 05-Apr-20 13:53:01

Not sure what people are taking about

We are 'allowed out' to exercise!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:04:21

notanan you misunderstand. 50 people at a barbecue is not a household