Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

New Nightingale Hospital costing NHS millions every month!

(16 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:25:49

Read this new article a few hours ago and still fuming about it.

Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company (Adnec), the owners of the conference centre, are charging the health service between £2million to £3million a month, according to The Sunday Times.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:45:50

I think you will find that this is fake news woodmouse49 the owners/company have come out and said that they are not charging the NHS.

PamelaJ1 Sun 05-Apr-20 15:06:19

Grannygravey?? Was going to say the same thing.

lemongrove Sun 05-Apr-20 15:09:22

Well.....the company have now said they are not going to charge the NHS, but I think, from what was said this morning
By Matt Hancock on Andrew Marr, that they were being charged, but at less than a commercial rate.So, a good thing that they changed their minds.

MawB Sun 05-Apr-20 15:11:04

Chief executive of the centre Jeremy Rees, who formerly ran the Earls Court & Olympia Group, said they had decided to 'join the national effort to combat coronavirus immediately and worked in close partnership with the NHS

The ExCel London facility is fully available to the NHS and we are here to support all their needs and requirements during this crisis,' he said

Easy enough to check one’s facts.

Smileless2012 Sun 05-Apr-20 15:15:16

Yes Matt Hancock did say the NHS was being charged lemongrove. It is a good thing they've changed their mind; if it were up to me and they hadn't, I just wouldn't have paid them.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 05-Apr-20 17:30:36

GrannyGravy13 As someone said Matt Hancock reported they were being charge.

Granted - Adnec have come good now.

silversurf Thu 23-Apr-20 17:47:31

Only a very few patients, last thing I heard was 19, as they don’t have enough critical care nurses. Shouldn’t this have been arranged first?
What a waste of money!

Eglantine21 Thu 23-Apr-20 18:39:59

You wouldn’t have thought it a waste of money if all the usual hospital beds were full and it was you that needed the Nightingale.

Some people just have to moan and moan and moan........

Eglantine21 Thu 23-Apr-20 18:40:59

Last I heard ......

Wonder where?

Eglantine21 Thu 23-Apr-20 18:46:37

They prepared for the worst case scenario silversurf.

Do you think that was wrong.

Should they have saved money and not bothered?

That seems to be what you’re saying.

Sussexborn Thu 23-Apr-20 19:35:11

I wondered how long it would take for the armchair critics to sally forth! The whole point of the lockdown was to flatten the curve and hopefully it is working.

There seems to be talk of using these hospitals to catch up with some of the other surgeries and treatments that had to be delayed. I dare say some will find something to gripe about.

Perhaps one of the persistent moaners has a magic wand that will conjure up the qualified staff out of nowhere. Now that would be an amazing achievement.

silversurf Thu 23-Apr-20 22:02:37

SB That was my point. Qualified nurses can’t be magicked up. Wish they could. But it’s no good having a hospital if there’s no one to staff it.
Most other hospitals treating the virus are run off their feet and can’t spare their own nurses.
Perhaps the Nightingale could be used for treating or operating on people whose operations have been cancelled, like the 2 year old who may go blind if not treated soon, but his operation has been cancelled, his despairing grandma posted on here a few days ago; or the cancer patients who are having to wait for treatment.
I do appreciate that virus sufferers are vitaly important but so are all the other people with illnesses.

Callistemon Thu 23-Apr-20 22:33:15

It has not been set up with all the facilities of a normal hospital.

How could they perform operations?

[sigh]

growstuff Thu 23-Apr-20 22:38:16

Exactly Callistemon. They don't have operating theatres or the facilities for anything other than Covid-19 patients. Hospitals sending patients to the Nightingale hospitals have to provide their own staff.

Callistemon Fri 24-Apr-20 10:18:02

most other hospitals treating the virus are run off their feet

Did you hear that in the MSM, silversurf?

I have family members working in hospitals in three different areas of the country and the rest of the hospitals are fairly quiet because operations have been put on hold, outpatient appointments have been postponed, people are not rushing into A&E with something they can in fact deal with themselves.
No-one wants to be in hospital at the moment unless they absolutely need to be.

Some qualified staff from other departments are being trained to use ICU equipment.