Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Chief medical officer

(43 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 05-Apr-20 16:51:19

Is Scotland's Chief medical officer post tenable after receiving a police warning for visiting her second home twice in direct contravention of her own advice?

Calendargirl Sun 05-Apr-20 16:53:41

What does Nicola have to say about this?

MissAdventure Sun 05-Apr-20 16:57:37

Nope.

ttgran Sun 05-Apr-20 17:04:08

She should resign no excuse what so ever a personal visit from the police advising her of the rules!! when she made them no fine like anyone else
Nicola Sturgeon supporting her outrageous this is one rule for rich and powerful one for the minions.
A week ago a woman was arrested for failing to say where she was going and not divulging her name she was arrested put in a cell for two days she was never charged but found guilty by a magistrate fined £660 despite her not attending court no doctors report no solicitor.British Transport Police have since apologised and the case was quashed. Yet the Scotlands Chief Medical officer gets a personal visit and back from Nicola Sturgeon and keeps her job.
I rarely post on here but so annoyed at the injustice.

ttgran Sun 05-Apr-20 17:05:20

She should resign no excuse what so ever a personal visit from the police advising her of the rules!! when she made them no fine like anyone else
Nicola Sturgeon supporting her outrageous this is one rule for rich and powerful one for the minions.
A week ago a woman was arrested for failing to say where she was going and not divulging her name she was arrested put in a cell for two days she was never charged but found guilty by a magistrate fined £660 despite her not attending court no doctors report no solicitor.British Transport Police have since apologised and the case was quashed. Yet the Scotlands Chief Medical officer gets a personal visit and back from Nicola Sturgeon and keeps her job.
I rarely post on here but so annoyed at the injustice.

gillybob Sun 05-Apr-20 17:05:45

Oh apparently it was “a mistake and a human error “ ( her words ) . Yeah that she got caught out maybe !

Daisymae Sun 05-Apr-20 17:06:05

Sturgeon is supporting her. Which seems incredible.

ttgran Sun 05-Apr-20 17:06:13

oops so annoyed sent it twice

Oopsminty Sun 05-Apr-20 17:07:57

I think she'll resign

gillybob Sun 05-Apr-20 17:10:03

It’s not incredible Daisymae it’s typical !

One rule for you and I and another rule for them what knows better .

MissAdventure Sun 05-Apr-20 17:11:27

I suppose it's an easy mistake.

Advise people not to travel, then the next thing you know, it slips your mind and you find yourself taking the family to your holiday home.

paddyanne Sun 05-Apr-20 17:11:54

Nicola ISN;T supporting her she said what CC did was wrong but that she is good at her job and will continue in it for the time being.Nicola DOESN'T have the power to sack her.You know that old saying power devolved is power retained? Well CC is employed by the Scottish office that Alister Jack and Lesley Evans and only they can sack her .The Scottish office (Scottish government) is very different from the Government at Hloyrood .
I am in no way excusing her actions what CC did was sheer stupidity but and it is a big but ..if she is good at her job then dumping her at this stage of a pandemic is probably not the ebst thing to do .I would imagine she'll move on after its over

Namsnanny Sun 05-Apr-20 17:15:17

Twice!! You say she's done this twice?
She calls it a mistake.
Mistake my eye!!

Doesn't look as if she will resign.

Daisymae Sun 05-Apr-20 17:17:08

How can she be good at her job when she lacks credibility/integrity with the general public, the very people that she needs to influence at this time? The public are told time and time again that their actions will decide how things pan out. I would be surprised if she was able to continue in post without the support of Sturgeon.

gillybob Sun 05-Apr-20 17:17:16

I agree with you in a way paddyann but she ( in particular) should be sticking to the rules . What hope of enforcing them on others?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Apr-20 17:19:14

She will no, longer front press conferences???

Namsnanny Sun 05-Apr-20 17:41:30

Well what does good at her job actually mean in this case?

If she cant use good judgement in a situation where she has all the facts, it doesn't bode well for other aspects of her job, IMV.
She has shown disregard for the rules that others abide by.
Consequently, it has led her into making a very poor decision.
Could easily happen in other areas of her job.

No she should pay the costs of her 'intentional' behaviour.

eazybee Sun 05-Apr-20 17:42:38

She delivers the instructions but breaks them twice; clearly not very good at her job.
But apparently she is very good at her job, so she stays.
Here's a suggestion:
She works behind the scenes, so she does the work but isn't seen, so nobody knows she is there, therefore she doesn't receive a salary.
Said Alice.

brook2704 Sun 05-Apr-20 17:46:49

I think once might have been forgivable at a push but twice ?. Definitely not, she should resign. If she’d not been caught out this weekend she would probably have carried on going ...

Jane10 Sun 05-Apr-20 18:06:20

It's too late for her to resign with any dignity. She'll hide in one or other of her houses and 'work from home'. She can kiss farewell to her OBE when this is over along with any credibility she ever had.

Smileless2012 Sun 05-Apr-20 18:11:13

She should resign, you don't make the same 'mistake' 2 weekends running do you. She's in no position to tell others what they should and should not be doing.

She's a disgrace.

Brunette10 Sun 05-Apr-20 18:17:04

I am very disappointed in the action she took not only once but twice. She has a very responsible position and appears on tv regularly to inform us all what we should be doing and for the most we are all adhering to the request. I cannot believe she honestly thought she had the right to leave her home and travel over 50 miles to her holiday home and didn’t think anything of it, it’s just appalling. What’s more is that although she will be working behind the scenes now her actions warrant much more than just being kept out of the public eye. Nicola Sturgeon has a lot to answer to us all. Personally, I think on her first visit to her holiday home someone has witnessed her being there and The Sun have been informed and awaiting her return. angry

Septimia Sun 05-Apr-20 18:22:29

She shouldn't still be in post, but it does really depend on whether there is anyone anywhere near as suitable/experienced to take her place. If not, then as people have already said, she should keep a very low profile.

Jane10 Sun 05-Apr-20 18:24:15

Lots of well qualified medics around. She's an obstetrician. Not particularly relevant I'd say.

Alexa Sun 05-Apr-20 18:32:52

The more highly paid someone is to accept responsibility the more they have a moral duty to act responsibly.

One does not have to like someone for them to be a good employee despite their lack of moral responsibility. For this reason the medical officer should not get the sack.