Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Will you be wearing a mask?

(344 Posts)
millymouge Sun 19-Apr-20 17:41:23

When we are eventually allowed outside will you be wearing a mask? Some countries have made it mandatory but the WHO were saying the other day that it dosn’t necessarily protect you. If you were infectious but didn’t know it might stop you infecting others if you coughed on them. But would it make you feel safer by wearing one and what sort would you wear?
I think I might, I just don’t know.

SueDonim Sun 19-Apr-20 17:43:41

I don’t have any masks and nowhere seems to have them in stock.

BlueBelle Sun 19-Apr-20 17:45:12

If we re told we need to, I will, but personally I don’t think they are much of a help so wouldn’t wear one if it’s left to us to decide
I wouldn’t be going out if I had a cough anyway

Hithere Sun 19-Apr-20 17:47:12

Sure, how can it hurt?

Niobe Sun 19-Apr-20 17:47:15

Plenty of videos about making masks on YouTube but how many of us have a suitable fabric available?

Hithere Sun 19-Apr-20 17:55:17

I am using old cotton bed sheets

MerylStreep Sun 19-Apr-20 17:57:35

I wouldn't choose to but if the powers that be decide I have to I will make a glamorous one with big red sequinned ?

Missfoodlove Sun 19-Apr-20 18:08:35

I have was wearing a mask for two weeks before lockdown.
They do protect.

curvygran Sun 19-Apr-20 18:14:08

I would if I could get hold of a proper medical grade one , but I’m not going out anywhere so it hasn’t been an issue so far .

eazybee Sun 19-Apr-20 18:15:24

If I am told to, but no idea how to obtain one.
Consultant at leading London hospital told me they do not protect you; they protect other people if you are infectious.
She should know; she has had corona virus and is now recovering.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 19-Apr-20 18:18:50

Please be careful about purchasing masks on line, there is a plethora of fake/useless masks out there (I am not scaremongering part of our business is safety clothing / masks)

craftyone Sun 19-Apr-20 18:21:14

a virus is smaller than a photon, masks are useless unless they are the special ones needed on the frontline. Home made masks are worse than useless and I will not be wearing one

tanith Sun 19-Apr-20 18:35:08

I have one my GS gave me with a filter I’ve not used it and won’t unless I’m told to.

aljocookie Sun 19-Apr-20 18:37:50

No.

EllanVannin Sun 19-Apr-20 18:39:25

No.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 19-Apr-20 18:52:25

I started wearing one just before lock down, I am use to it as I often wore one in SE Asia where its quite common as protection against pollution. I made a few myself, then managed to buy some and now I have managed to get one that is more like the medical one from the internet. I feel safer wearing it and also I have hay fever bad and its good to have on if I have a sneezing fit. Also wear gloves as it stops me touching my face.

Grannynannywanny Sun 19-Apr-20 18:54:09

Caution required when wearing them according to experts. We are advised to avoid putting hands near face when outdoors and masks increase likelihood hands will be tempted to touch and adjust them when shopping etc. Thus contaminating face area with virus. Also careful removal of masks required by touching only ear loops as surface might be contaminated. Used carelessly the risks could outweigh any possible benefits

SuzannahM Sun 19-Apr-20 19:08:10

My hay fever has got worse and I am sniffling and sneezing a lot. I will probably wear one until I can get it under control, if only to stop the nasty looks.

I saw a video today about making them from super market bags for life, made from woven polypropylene, which is apparently very close to the material the medical ones are made from. I'm going to have a go at making one from an old Sainsbury bag, Shame it's bright orange but never mind. They look easy to make though

GrannyLaine Sun 19-Apr-20 19:19:03

If reliable evidence becomes available that they confer real benefit AND Public Health England advise the use of a mask then I would. But until then, no I definitely won't.

PamelaJ1 Sun 19-Apr-20 19:42:48

I have some because I wear them at work occasionally if I feel I may have a cold coming on.
I think they are more for the protection of others. If I thought that I was likely to sneeze or cough over anyone I wouldn’t go out.
I may wear one but I haven’t been out , apart from the daily walk, so I know I’m not CV positive therefore absolutely no one would be any safer if I put one on.

giulia Sun 19-Apr-20 19:48:58

Here in Italy we must cover our nose and mouth to enter a shop and also wear disposable gloves.

The test to tell if a mask (even a homemade one) is effective is to try to blow out a candle when wearing one. If you succeed then the mask is no good, Simple.

bikergran Sun 19-Apr-20 19:51:35

I have lots of people coming through my checkout wearing all manner of different masks..

The trouble is when they are talking "they" know what they are saying..but.... I don't. all it is. is a muffled voice.

I chap kept asking me for something I hadn't a clue..I had to ask him three times...in the end he had to point to the Big bags we have.

Strange thing is , when the ladies come through with the burkas/veils on I can hear them quite clearly.

The masks that look like they are some kind of building masks with vent holes in, then I just don't stand a chance hearing them.

M0nica Sun 19-Apr-20 19:56:20

I have made myself some very pretty masks from flowered fabric in my stash. I have trimmed them with lace and ribbon.

When I shop I wear mask and gloves. I wear the mask to protect other shoppers from me! I sneeze a lot and those are contained within the mask. If I sneezed into my arm, next time I reached up for something from a high shelf, I would probably wipe the sleeve against the other shelves and their contents.

Contrary to GNW assertion, I actually touch my face a lot less when I am wearing the mask. The presence of the mask and gloves makes me very conscious about both if I am inclined to touch, so I stop. Having handmade masks means I do not have elestic loops that go round the ears, but two lengths of elastic that go right round my head and sit, one above my ear and one below, They hold the mask close to my face and do not need constant adjustment.

BlueSky Sun 19-Apr-20 21:14:31

I've got some on line earlier on, they are plain black cotton and I have worn them already when I've had to queue outside the chemist. I know we are told they don't help but I've always thought they say that as they haven't got enough to go round. If they became compulsory the government would have to supply them free of charge like they are doing in Italy. I'm planning to wear them when we are finally let out.

Iam64 Sun 19-Apr-20 21:35:59

yes