Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

A rather different Jane Godley video.

(24 Posts)
Elegran Mon 01-Jun-20 12:00:22

Jane Godley has a short video depicting a middle-aged woman talking of her husband and coronavirus.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuv4BHwnimI

(She does those "wee Scottish stairheid wumman" voiceovers to Nicola Sturgeon's briefings)

Elegran Mon 01-Jun-20 12:20:17

Nobody interested? All those poster accounts of husbands who ignore social distancing but no-one wants to watch this?

Granny23 Mon 01-Jun-20 12:40:18

Very poignant - I've never seen Jame Godley in non comic mode before this. This is so true to life, I know many women (and husbands) just like this. All the joy sucked out of them, only a dog or cat for comfort.

gransal Mon 01-Jun-20 12:43:11

Just watched this Elegran. A very different Janey Godley. I think we all know someone like Jim, the rules simply do not apply to them.

Kate1949 Mon 01-Jun-20 12:45:57

I saw it yesterday. It's very good.

May7 Mon 01-Jun-20 12:51:45

Excellent caricature. Thought provoking

felice Mon 01-Jun-20 12:55:23

DD showed me it yesterday, she is a big fan. I did not know I needed to post that I had seen it, sorry.

lemsip Mon 01-Jun-20 13:46:37

yes I've seen it too, didn't think it was a requirement to check in!

Elegran Mon 01-Jun-20 13:49:38

Felice Of course you don't need to post that you have seen it - but I was a bit disappointed after searching for the Youtube link (which can be seen by more people than a Facebook one) and then no-one seemed to have noticed it.

The Guardian reviewed one of her shows last year, and mentioned a few things about her life - very interesting. www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/aug/19/janey-godley

paddyanne Mon 01-Jun-20 14:52:36

I've seen her acting on several things and she's very good,I love her take off of Nicola they are brilliant and I'm sure Nicola would love to be abale to say what Janey says on her behalf,
She had a tough start in life and isn't ashamed to tell people how bad it was ,thats something I admire ,I cant abide people who hide their roots and make up a life they didn't live..like my OH's cousin who talks about people "not being out of the top drawer" in her fake morningside accent that certainly wasn't aquired in the North Lanarkshire miners row where she grew up .We were lucky to hear her speak and meet her at the Rally in George Square in November ,the first Indpendence Rally Nicola actually spoke to ,I stood next to Martin Compson at that .Janey was honest that she hadn't been an Indy supporter until fairly recently ,but now she is she makes sure people know why she changed her mind.My kind of gal .

paddyanne Mon 01-Jun-20 14:54:14

Meant to say I thought this was heartbreaking.

Marilla Mon 01-Jun-20 15:01:47

Thank you for bringing this short video to my attention. I would have missed it otherwise.
I love Janey’s daily updates on the Coronavirus.
This video was very poignant and showed the other side of Janey. Everyone has their heartaches.

Furret Mon 01-Jun-20 15:16:15

Thank you Elegran that was another side of her. I love her takes of NS, but this was something special.

I will share that with certain friends.

merlotgran Mon 01-Jun-20 15:18:22

Thanks, Elegran To my knowledge I don't think I've seen Jane Godley before. This certainly stirs the emotions.

I'll now browse YouTube for her Nicola Sturgeon stuff.

Furret Mon 01-Jun-20 15:32:57

You’re in for a treat merlotgran IMO

Ilovecheese Mon 01-Jun-20 17:43:32

Have I got this right, is the husband dead in another room?

Elegran Mon 01-Jun-20 17:52:38

You make your own theories, Ilovecheese, but mine is that she is recounting her life with her controlling husband, his non-adherence to anyone else's rules and eventually how he got CoVid and died (I don't think he is still in the next room! but she doesn't specificaly say he is dead) and she now has freedom to do all the things that he had stopped her doing - but she still sighs as though she is sad to lose him.

May7 Mon 01-Jun-20 18:17:57

This is exactly why I love Gransnet. You get to see stuff that you wouldnt normally encounter. I had never heard of her but I'll definitely utube her now.
Ps I thought he was dead in the bed next to her and the dog was sitting on him hmmmm must watch it again .

Elegran Mon 01-Jun-20 19:10:16

I must watch it again too, paying particular attention to the bed. The dog is just lovely!

Elegran Mon 01-Jun-20 19:13:43

May7 Do you think he is under the pink duvet or the tartan rug?

Elegran Mon 01-Jun-20 19:16:35

Pause it at 3.35, when she leans over to her right. SOMETHING is under that tartan rug!

paddyanne Mon 01-Jun-20 20:51:12

I think he's still in the sons room,she says she'll tell the authorities when this is all over I saw her recently in something where she was Martin Compson's lawyer a murder series set in Dundee ,for the life of me I cant remmebr the name

Elegran Mon 01-Jun-20 21:17:58

Maybe she is socially distancing from him, as per the rules. When she gets back from visiting her son and his friend, she will assess the situation and tell the authorities!

May7 Mon 01-Jun-20 21:31:58

I've watched it again its heartbreaking really isnt it . Shes so clever. I think I'm wrong he is in Stephen's room maybe wishful thinking that she was sitting on his feet. The dog is gorgeous though and she mauls him to death