Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Was coronavirus manufactured in the lab?

(17 Posts)
25Avalon Thu 04-Jun-20 09:06:41

An exhead of M16 says he has seen a report that the virus was manufactured in a Chinese lab and then accidentally escaped. I am inclined to believe this but find it incredibly scary. When we start messing around with this kind of thing the whole world reaps the whirlwind. Should China make reparations to the world if it’s true and would they be willing anyway?

Franbern Thu 04-Jun-20 09:34:54

Gosh, has that fake news re-surfaced again. Along with G5 and the threads from planes. So many conspiracy theories, peoples imaginations are working overtime.

Even heard one incredible one involved birds not being real, but needing change of batteries, which is why we were all told to stay indoors.

Just leave it - it is pretty clear that this came from the wet market and nobody wanted it - it has destroyed every national economy in the world.

25Avalon Thu 04-Jun-20 10:01:37

I don’t agree with you Franbern. There is substantial evidence it did not originate in the wet market which is false news but elsewhere. Whether elsewhere was a lab has yet to be provenl conclusively but apparently it’s structure suggests the virus has been modified in the lab. It did say accidentally escaped from the Lab and not deliberate.
Please read the new reports and keep an open mind as I try to.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 04-Jun-20 10:07:13

Many reports of it originating from the awful markets, taken into the lab and modified, odd that the Chinese Dr. who first reported the virus died just after he made it public, only approx 4000 deaths? You have got to be kidding.
I suspect that all traces of the lab tests have been destroyed and all of the lab technicians are no longer ‘available’ to confirm or deny reports.

sodapop Thu 04-Jun-20 17:39:16

I don't agree with you either Franbern increasingly there are concerns about the origin of this virus. 25Avalon was not suggesting this was a deliberate action and neither do I but there are so many coincidences these theories should not be scoffed at or dismissed out of hand.

Rosalyn69 Thu 04-Jun-20 17:42:09

I am convinced something on this scale didn’t originate in a wet market. Maybe I’m a conspiracy theorist but there are too many oddities...and please do not ask for evidence. It’s what I believe.

maddyone Thu 04-Jun-20 17:50:06

I’m not sure about the wet market theory either. Obviously I don’t know, but I’m suspicious that this virus was modified by man, and escaped accidentally. I’m afraid I’m very suspicious that this happened. Too many reports have stated that this is a real likelihood. Too many people in China who knew more about this have apparently disappeared.

Riverwalk Thu 04-Jun-20 18:02:26

An exhead of M16 says he has seen a report that the virus was manufactured in a Chinese lab and then accidentally escaped. I am inclined to believe this..

Why are you inclined to believe this?

From what I've read, Dearlove has read this research, which by the way is as yet unpublished in any serious scientific journal, but has he actually said that he believes it's true?

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 04-Jun-20 18:18:28

I need more convincing that just reading what the media says. Most of the time it is twisted news. The only paper I give any time at all for is the Guardian so turned to the online version to read what is being reported:

The US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, claimed on Sunday there is “enormous evidence” the coronavirus outbreak originated in a Chinese laboratory – but did not provide any of the alleged evidence.

“Look, the best experts so far seem to think it was manmade. I have no reason to disbelieve that at this point,” he said. But he doesn't say who the experts are.

Beijing has rejected the suggestion the virus could have escaped from a laboratory. But Chinese authorities have not allowed foreign experts, including investigators from the World Health Organization, to take part in the investigation into the origins of the virus. Nor have they shared samples taken from wild animals at the Wuhan livestock market where they claim the outbreak began.

For me - until WHO or any experts can investigate it, I'll choose not make presumptions. Where did the MI6 ex-head get the report from? Who wrote the report? Selective media news!

growstuff Thu 04-Jun-20 18:36:37

I'm sure I read somewhere (but can't remember where) that it had been shown that it originated in animals and hadn't been modified. I'll see if I can find the reference. I guess it's possible that it could have escaped from a lab (although not engineered there), just as smallpox did a few years ago.

I'm afraid I find it difficult to take at face value anything anti-Chinese which comes from the US government, just as I would find it difficult to accept anything anti-American from the Chinese government.

To be honest, I don't even think it's the first priority. I'm sure there will be conspiracy theories for years and we might never know the whole truth. My priority would be to contain it, find better ways of treating it and, hopefully, finding a vaccine.

maddyone Thu 04-Jun-20 19:56:16

I think I agree with that growstuff, we might indeed never know the whole truth. To be honest, I’ll be quite honest and say I don’t think we ever will know the whole truth. Whatever happened, the most important thing is to find a vaccine and a treatment.

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 05-Jun-20 09:20:46

I wouldnt rule it out. It has been written in reputable sources that the spikes that allow this virus to obtain such a hold are very unusual. I think if it was a result of scientific research it was probably accidentally released. There are many conspiracy theories, but governments do cover up. Chernobyl.

ladymuck Fri 05-Jun-20 11:44:06

There was recently a documentary on PBSAmerica which explained that the Ebola virus originated in a bat. The first people to suffer from it was the family who had eaten the bat, and then passed on the disease to others.
It seems very likely that the Coronavirus originated in the same way.
Just as with Mad Cow Disease, diseases can be passed on to humans through infected animals.

Furret Fri 05-Jun-20 12:22:57

The Chinese have admitted to working with Corona-type viruses in their labs but are adamant this one does not match any of theirs - DNA profiles don't match.

I'm very inclined to accept that. It would seem that the primary host was a bat and the secondary host a pangolin. These poor little harmless creatures are regularly eaten in China.

As ladymuck pointed out the last Ebola outbreak was traced back to bats.

maddyone Fri 05-Jun-20 17:36:08

I understood that the pangolin has been totally discounted as a source, but the bat remains a possibility.

Of course the Chinese would deny that this virus matches any of theirs. They’ve been engaged in a massive cover up from day one.

sodapop Fri 05-Jun-20 17:47:56

I agree that we will never know the whole truth about this. I do think we need to be open minded and be more concerned about what is happening with Government research globally.

growstuff Fri 05-Jun-20 18:10:42

"New Scientist" is a reliable source:

www.newscientist.com/term/coronavirus-come-lab/

The article states there is "no credible evidence" of genetic engineering and I'm going with that. Of course, there needs to be further research about how it actually jumped from bats (if they're the source) to humans.