Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Grandparents childcare

(31 Posts)
Mollypussy Fri 05-Jun-20 13:58:56

I’m amazed As my grandchildren back at school now , but my daughter can’t work her full hours as she has to pick up after school and cover the days I normally had the small ones each week , when they can go to a childminder and school , madness .but not us one of my friends actually been helping having them in her home and overnight as had to help her family !
Her circumstances she has to help still , and I think of grandparents will do this anyway eventually

sodapop Fri 05-Jun-20 17:38:58

Sorry Mollypussy I don't quite understand your post or what you are asking.

GermanSauerkraut Mon 08-Jun-20 12:50:13

I have been asked if my husband and I are prepared to take on babysitting duties once my son and his wife have returnEdto work - however they are not sure themselves when that might be; could be in July - however social distancing still precludes that nobody is allowed into each other’s homes, so how on earth can this even be contemplated yet!? Yours confusedly ?

Tangerine Mon 08-Jun-20 13:07:09

At the moment, you're not permitted to have the grandchildren inside your home so I don't think you can provide childcare. That is my understanding anyway.

NfkDumpling Mon 08-Jun-20 13:12:44

I think the OP’s friend is in the wrong as Tangerine says. The only people who can have children not from their own family in their homes are qualified childminders who can keep things separate.

I’ve said I will have our DGS in July when DiL is on jury service, but if it’s not allowed by then jury service will be postponed.

silverlining48 Mon 08-Jun-20 13:20:06

Nfk I was recently called for jury service and wrote to say I coukdnt due to age and distance and they have excused me. Might be worth a try with child care as a valid reason.

BlueSky Mon 08-Jun-20 13:45:03

I know of grandparents who have had to restart looking after grandchildren when parents had to return to work. No other way for some.

gillybob Mon 08-Jun-20 13:47:52

I have made the decision to look after my DGD (2) for 2 days a week from this week . It is not a decision I have made lightly and I have not been badgered into it either .

My DD has been told that she must return to minimum hours (16) this week or else she will have no income . It has also been hinted that she may be considered for redundancy when (not if) they need to make staff cutbacks.

I really fail to see the difference between myself and a childminder. Other than the exchange of £££££. If anything my DGD will be far safer here with me than she would be mixing in a strangers house where we have no idea or proof of the comings or goings.

gillybob Mon 08-Jun-20 22:27:56

The silence is deafening .

Luckygirl Mon 08-Jun-20 22:45:04

Maybe it is the risk to you too that matters gilly - the little one is, by all accounts, unlikely to be ill with the virus, but maybe you are, being older, and your OH, being unwell.

There are so many apparent anomalies in the rules.

I am sure you have given much thought to what you feel to be best for you and your family. It is a very difficult conundrum for everyone. I hope things work out well for you all.

MamaCaz Mon 08-Jun-20 22:47:28

As BlueSky said, there is no other way for some, and I agree with you, gillybob, that your dgd (and therefore everyone else too) will be safer if looked after by you than by the currently 'allowed' childcare providers.

gillybob Mon 08-Jun-20 22:49:56

I’m 58 lucky I am still expected to work (for another 10 years yet) before I can get my state pension . If I was earning money ££££ as a childminder it would be okay ? But I am an unpaid grandma who is trying to support her working DD (and I’m working too) .

Thank you so much for your response and your understanding . smile

gillybob Mon 08-Jun-20 22:54:11

Thank you Mamacaz I know for a certain that I have obeyed every rule in the book. I have not had any direct contact with anyone for several months . I know for sure that my little granddaughter will be safer here with me and DH than she could be with anyone else. I stand by my decision .

Caramac Mon 08-Jun-20 22:55:16

Well children can move between two homes if parents are estranged so I’ve had my DGS’s from day one. They live half the week with me and half the week with their parents. DD is frontline NHS and there is no childcare/school provision which caters for her or her DP’s long working hours.
Yes we are bending the rules but there is no other way. Childminder has not been working.

GrannySomerset Tue 09-Jun-20 08:59:53

I agree with your decision, Gilly, and guess that you will benefit hugely from having the little one in your life again. The risk is low and you need some joy. Good luck.

travelsafar Tue 09-Jun-20 09:06:16

If you live close enough to your grand child's school to walk them home to your house would it be allowed to look after them in the garden maintaining SD. A tent or something similar could be put up for the children to play in if it rains. You could put a snack and drink in there prior to collecting the child. Most children are usually tired after school and the chance to relax in GP garden would be nice before parents can collect after work. Toilet facilities could be an issue, but if you have a shed maybe a bucket could be screened off for the children to use. Just a thought if you realy have to look after GC.

gillybob Tue 09-Jun-20 09:37:45

My DGD is only just gone 2 travelsafar so no school and no social distancing possible either . Much like a childminder I will have to have her indoors unless weather changes drastically (it’s wet and cold up here) . She still needs a little help with feeding and is still in nappies . My older DGC are 14,12 and 10 and they are managing okay right now as no school .

GrannyGravy13 Tue 09-Jun-20 09:47:49

gillybob if I were in your shoes I would do the same. I do hope you enjoy the time spent with your DGD ?

MerylStreep Tue 09-Jun-20 09:50:21

gillybob
Good for you. I would do exactly the same. Families family ?
As for someone suggesting a tent in the garden for a 2 yr old: words fail me ?

Susan56 Tue 09-Jun-20 10:01:27

I would do exactly the same as you gilly.Enjoy your time with little Evie.x

Toadinthehole Tue 09-Jun-20 10:12:35

We’re doing similar things gillybob. We have to be sensible, and weigh up things for ourselves. I think the thinking behind the childminder versus grandparents thing, is the fact grandparents would usually be more tactile, and older and more vulnerable of course. I’m like you...a bit younger than the most vulnerable group. Enjoy....?

travelsafar Tue 09-Jun-20 12:08:11

MerylStreep i wasn't suggesting a tent for a 2 year old, they wouldn't be at school anyway surely??? I was suggesting for an older child that needs GP to look after it after school so parents could return to work.

Annie26 Tue 09-Jun-20 15:16:19

I think you have made the right decision gillybob. I will face the same dilemma soon but will do the same as you. Hopefully with a gradual relaxation of the rules we will be allowed to have our Grandchildren inside soon

NfkDumpling Tue 09-Jun-20 17:47:27

You are little Evie's second home. I'm sure your DD will take all the precautions she can and if it weren't for the dog, I think you'd said she would have moved in with you well before now, so would have been leaving your house for work in that case.

I know Mr Gillybob isn't in the best of health, but I rather think there's a good chance he's already had the virus last year. Especially since there's now reports of the virus being 'out there' last September!

Willow73 Wed 10-Jun-20 07:36:19

I am a grandmother of two boys aged 3 &2. I have not had them in my house since the lockdown or looked after them.
They are now reopening all shops and other areas of employment, but where's the childcare for those workers? Most of them rely on grandparents, are we still to remain redundant child carers? How long do the government think they can keep us from our unpaid jobs which keep parents in work?