Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

How many people do you know........

(242 Posts)
Daddima Sat 20-Jun-20 16:37:47

...who actually have, or had, Covid19? Not just people who say they’re ‘ sure they had it’, but definite cases. I only know of two, one who contracted it in hospital following admission for a broken hip, and another who died in a care home.

Please try not to drift ‘ off topic’, as I’m really interested to hear your answers to the question.

GrandmasueUK Sat 20-Jun-20 16:41:00

My cousin has tested positive just last week. She works in a care home. My mum's cousin who was in a different care home, but caught it in hospital and died last month. He had underlying health problems as well though.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 20-Jun-20 16:42:44

All aged in their 40s. Caught it early on.

Marydoll Sat 20-Jun-20 16:43:57

One, a very active lady in her late seventies. She didn't know she had it until she was admitted to hospital.
Her GP had been treating her with steroids and antibiotics for an asthma flare up and chest infection.
She was over the worst by the time she was taken to hospital and sent home quite quickly.

However, it was about six weeks before she began to feel better.

threexnanny Sat 20-Jun-20 16:49:28

None, there is a very low incidence of the virus in our area, but am glad to say that I don't know of anyone elsewhere either.

paddyanne Sat 20-Jun-20 17:02:24

8 ,2 0f my sons friends lost thir mums before lockdown,2 of my daughters friends lost their dads ,one caught it in the geriatric ward
,My long time freind lost her 34 year old son he was a bit off colour then he died the same day,apparently he'd had it with no symtoms.
My OH's uncle 4 days in intensive care and my neighbours DIL's dad 9 weeks in intensive care ,they thought he was getting better and off the ventilator then he suddenly took a turn for the worse and a lovely wee woman who used to work with us .
ALL confirmed as Covid 19 all leaving families in mourning the youngest 34 ,the oldest 88 ,most in their late 50's

dizzyblonde Sat 20-Jun-20 17:03:17

At least ten people including myself and my DH, varying ages from twenties to early nineties. None went to hospital, most had it mildly and all are better now.

humptydumpty Sat 20-Jun-20 17:10:58

A colleague's sister has just tested positive, otherwise none.

arosebyanyothername Sat 20-Jun-20 17:11:49

My daughter's partner is an NHS worker. He was terribly ill back in February but not diagnosed. Recently he had a blood test that showed he had Covid antibodies so it's possible that that's what made him ill back then but he'll never know for sure.

grandMattie Sat 20-Jun-20 17:14:02

0 in my area. I do know of a young doctor [son of my Spanish teacher] who had it mildly, but he wasn't from this area.

SueDonim Sat 20-Jun-20 17:15:15

My mother‘s cousin died of CV at the end of March. He was in his 80’s.

A friend’s husband caught it in the dementia unit where he lives. He was quite poorly for some weeks but seems recovered, although he doesn’t have the language now to describe how he feels.

Several of my dd’s friends have had it, all in their 20’s, but they’re all hospital doctors so that’s not really a surprise. All recovered without treatment.

Greenfinch Sat 20-Jun-20 17:18:17

A friend and ex neighbour. She was in her 70's,had Parkinson's and recently entered a care home where she contracted Covid and died.

Kandinsky Sat 20-Jun-20 17:21:11

None. And I live in London.

Auntieflo Sat 20-Jun-20 17:23:05

A friend, who has died

ninathenana Sat 20-Jun-20 17:30:30

A cousins husband and friend of a friend. They were both 60 + sadly neither of them made it.

Aldom Sat 20-Jun-20 17:30:30

Two paramedics (female) one nurse (female)

PamelaJ1 Sat 20-Jun-20 17:31:53

Two in our village, they went to a match at Twickenham before lockdown.
They are fine now.

Elegran Sat 20-Jun-20 17:38:12

I've not heard from all the people I know, so any number of them could have had it. Confirmed - the husband of a friend (in his 70s), who died of it, four friends of my son (in their 50s) had been on holiday together. Two of them were admitted to hospital but recovered. Suspected but coped with it at home - at least four

Most friends my age are staying in away from all contact, so have been safe. Family members are younger but working from home and avoiding unnecessary contact so have not succumbed.

When everyone is congregating and getting closer to everyone else, and they let their guard down, it may be a different story.

Ask the same question again when everyone is back in circulation and we have heard all the backlog of news.

tanith Sat 20-Jun-20 17:39:17

None I live in London.

kittylester Sat 20-Jun-20 17:45:10

2 friends in the village had it really badly and took 6 weeks or so to recover. The husband went to hospital but only for 2 nights.

One of my brothers lost 2 friends fairly early on but also had a friend who was on a ventilator but is now home. She is having speech therapy and physiotherapy to help her recovery. Last I heard she could manage to walk to the front door but had to rest before doing the return journey.

A friend's fil died but he was very unwell anyway.

Grandma70s Sat 20-Jun-20 17:47:57

My son’s brother-in-law and his wife (an intensive care nurse), also their children aged 6 and 1. The children are fine now, but the adults are still very weary though basically recovered.

merlotgran Sat 20-Jun-20 17:51:02

Three. My niece tested positive after a skiing holiday in France. She had the mild version and quickly recovered thank goodness.

DD's close friend, living in France for two years, had it rather badly and was on the point of being admitted to hospital when she thankfully improved and was able to recover at home.

An elderly in-law tested positive in his care home. He was the only one of seventeen cases to survive.

BlueBelle Sat 20-Jun-20 17:56:15

None for me
my daughter had two friends ill at the beginning of lockdown one could not drive 30 miles to have the test so no idea, the other dosed herself up and drove, feeling very poorly but She has never had the results so she doesn’t know either
So the real answer is none

joannapiano Sat 20-Jun-20 18:27:46

A very elderly lady from Church. She broke her ankle and caught it in hospital and died there.

Welshwife Sat 20-Jun-20 18:35:48

My niece in her 40s who is a London Ambulance Service paramedic had it but luckily recovered - she has three lads and a husband but so far they have escaped.