Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Which reusable mask would you recommend ?

(62 Posts)
MayBee70 Mon 29-Jun-20 12:18:08

I’ve bout a reusable mask on the internet but it only just reaches my chin, doesn’t go under it so I’m not very confident about wearing it in public places. I’ll probably just take it with me when out walking. I do have medical grade single use ones that I shall use in enclosed spaces (if and when I venture forth into one: I’m so concerned about the amount of plastic being used in the fight against the virus I don’t want to contribute to it if I can help it). I don’t really want flowery masks, would rather have something with a bit of attitude as I’m assuming (wrongly I hope) that I’ll be sniggered at for wearing one.

MayBee70 Mon 29-Jun-20 12:18:54

....bought....(iPad problems....)

Fernbergien Mon 29-Jun-20 12:22:17

Home made from old close woven cotton pillowcase. Can leave open on one side to put in extra layer or tissue.

BlueSky Mon 29-Jun-20 12:37:28

I've bought black cotton ones but too hot in summer, got blue medical ones that DH likes being lightweight and can be washed a couple of times. Now I've ordered a dark flowery number in viscose guess it'll be lighter and smarter. Just wish everybody was wearing them in enclosed spaces at least!

BlueSky Wed 01-Jul-20 08:24:05

Until mask wearing becomes the 'new normal' I don't think reducing social distancing is a good idea.

shysal Wed 01-Jul-20 08:30:58

If you want something a bit different, try this website which popped up on GN.
floryday.com/search.php?q=scarves

Grannynannywanny Wed 01-Jul-20 08:32:45

I’ve bought a few well made washable cotton ones on Etsy website. There’s a big variety of colours and styles.

Prices approx £4-7 each depending on style. If selected from those labelled Made in UK then delivery is free.

I’ve heard that local Facebook groups are also selling them so if you’re on FB it might be worth a look.

shysal Wed 01-Jul-20 08:33:06

I don't think you will be sniggered at! I wear a mask in shops and am never the only one.

Grannynannywanny Wed 01-Jul-20 08:51:48

Strangely after seeing an increase in mask wearers in recent weeks I was surprised to not see a single one in Morrisons yesterday. The shop was fairly busy and I couldn’t help but notice I was the only one.

I’ve had a sinking feeling in recent days that with the gradual easing of restrictions many folk are behaving like we’re back to normal.

Chewbacca Wed 01-Jul-20 08:57:50

I bought a pack of 2 "Washable Two Layer Nose & Mouth Masks" from L*dl @ £2.99 I think, and there's a little gap at one end where you can slide another layer of tissue in if you wish. They've washed very well on very high temperatures and are quite comfortable to wear.

TerriBull Wed 01-Jul-20 09:11:23

I always wear a mask when I do our food shops, I don't like wearing one, but I wish everyone would inside shops, banks etc. whilst we know they won't protect the wearer we are told, if we all wear one in public places they will stop the spread of the virus, so unless we have a collective mindset on the matter it's not a lot of use only some wearing them.

Maggymay Wed 01-Jul-20 09:12:24

I bought mine from ebay 3 layers hand made cloth one with nose wire,I bought the small size fits perfectly very comfortable.

Teacheranne Wed 01-Jul-20 09:23:23

I have just finished reading an article about some research in the US about the effectiveness of homemade masks to prevent the distance moisture spreads when coughing. The least effective was single layer scarves or bandanas, next came cone shaped masks ( although in the photo these did not look homemade as they were stiff and made of paper). The most effective were three layered cotton ones that are tight fitting around the nose and chin.

I have made my own masks using a shaped pattern, I use three layers with a gap to add a filter and include a nose clip. There are loads of patterns and are very easy to make and cost me less than £1 for the materials. Some companies are making a lot of profit selling masks, especially "trendy" style ones.

Rosalyn69 Wed 01-Jul-20 10:04:32

I bought flowery cotton three layer ones. They are a good fit and wash well and look pretty. My husband likes the blue regular ones.

MellowYellow Wed 01-Jul-20 10:54:00

Sup**drug sell washable masks, white or pink. Good fit and comfortable.

MayBee70 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:05:52

I like the idea of those floryday ones: not for shopping etc situations where a three layer mask is needed. I have one of those neckerchief things that you can use in different ways. I wear it round my neck when I’m out walking so if someone is walking towards me I can pull it up over my face (whilst moving as far away from them as possible as it’s always me that has to). Grannynannywanny:I do fear that you’re right and people are just thinking it’s all over. The Lidl one sounds perfect as I do want one that I can add an extra layer to but I can’t bring myself to go in a shop. I listened to another of DrCampbells blogs yesterday: one in which he was doing a Q&A with people in India. He was saying (reassuringly) that we have learned so much about the virus and it’s transmission. And that what has made it so virulent is the fact that people are so infectious when asymptomatic and pre symptomatic. He said that the previous Sars was far more lethal as a disease but that people were only infectious when they were visibly ill and therefore avoiding people/being avoided which meant it didn’t spread as much.

BlueSky Wed 01-Jul-20 17:43:25

Mellow of all colours pink?? That's OK I have a pet hate for pink! Why not light blue/green/purple but pink?? hmm

MellowYellow Thu 02-Jul-20 08:34:12

Yep, and a horrid pale pink too! Fuschia would have been better! wink

Rosalyn69 Thu 02-Jul-20 08:55:15

My son and his wife went into town yesterday. He said they were the only people wearing masks and social distancing was non existent but he did feel the shops were trying hard with hand sanitiser provided.

Taffy1234 Thu 02-Jul-20 09:09:08

I have bought visors from amazon and find these easier to wear and my eyes are shielded as well. The doctors surgery accepted them yesterday and some of the staff were wearing them. I put it on before entering Boots to collect prescription . No problems.

Math Thu 02-Jul-20 09:26:42

Yes, I found a pattern on Pinterest and made lots of 3 layer cotton ones out of old material. They work well but are a bit warm!

Macgran43 Thu 02-Jul-20 09:27:48

My son is designing and selling good masks in a variety of designs . His website is www.fxg-masks.co.uk

dahlia08 Thu 02-Jul-20 09:35:35

I made some. They look ok and cute if I may say so myself.

Jacksgrandma123 Thu 02-Jul-20 09:39:35

I’ve bought two packs of three from M and S. I’ve also ordered two linen ones from the linen room as I’m a bit worried about breathing through plastic or polypropylene. I don’t wear one currently but I suspect we will have to wear them in shops soon. I have a hair appointment next week and have to wear a mask. I would rather wear a shield and wonder if you can wear those on planes instead of a mask? (Obvs can’t wear shield for the hairdresser!)

Bumboseat1 Thu 02-Jul-20 09:45:35

I’m making my own face mask on my overlocker sewing machine for family and friends. Different sizes to fit people’s face .machine washable. I was doing really well, till the dam machine jammed up and I cannot figure how to correct it. So back in the cupboard. So annoying