Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Regulations & guidance - I'm confused

(10 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 14-Jul-20 07:14:47

I've tried these past months to keep abreast of developments but feel I'm losing the plot.

On the radio this morning regarding the farm in Hereford where 73 people were tested positive, three workers have left the site, one of them positive, the reporter said that the advice to quarantine for 14 days, is just that, advisory not compulsory! So there was nothing to stop them leaving - and presumably the other 70 could do the same?

Seems crazy, when in the next item we are told that face coverings in shops will be compulsory, backed by the law, and 'the police on hand' to deal with law-breakers.

MawB Tue 14-Jul-20 07:16:00

Don’t worry about it - just do the opposite of whatever they said last time hmm
Cynical, moi?

Riverwalk Tue 14-Jul-20 07:20:26

I'd have thought the authorities could have relied on some piece of legislation to confiscate the passports, at least of those who'd tested positive, for two weeks.

Think back to the early days when cruise passengers where more or less forced to go to Arrow Park Hospital for quarantine, and none of them was positive if I remember rightly.

suziewoozie Tue 14-Jul-20 07:25:00

It’s all part of the Cummings strategy of obfuscation , the aim of which is to avoid any blame, responsibility or accountability for anything

growstuff Tue 14-Jul-20 08:32:31

Riverwalk

I'd have thought the authorities could have relied on some piece of legislation to confiscate the passports, at least of those who'd tested positive, for two weeks.

Think back to the early days when cruise passengers where more or less forced to go to Arrow Park Hospital for quarantine, and none of them was positive if I remember rightly.

There's a bigger issue here.

In the case of the fruit pickers, they were already living fairly isolated lives, so it should have been relatively easy to contain them.

What about outbreaks in the community, perhaps people working in a school or a shop? These people would live at home. How could they be "contained"/forced to isolate?

Not everybody has a passport and they might not want to leave the country anyway. How could people be stopped from nipping out to the shops or anything else?

growstuff Tue 14-Jul-20 08:34:58

I lost the plot weeks ago. I didn't even realise there is a strategy any more. It's herd immunity gone mad.

quizqueen Tue 14-Jul-20 08:37:08

Where would rather be if you were ill, sitting in some farm shed for 2 weeks or back in your home!

eazybee Tue 14-Jul-20 09:06:53

They have confiscated their passports.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 14-Jul-20 09:20:52

I have completely lot the plot and just going my own sweet way to stay safe. This government is not interested in the virus anymore they are focusing on Brexit proper.

growstuff Tue 14-Jul-20 10:09:43

I'm not even sure they're interested in Brexit. They're interested in covering up and keeping votes. They're not the slightest bit interested in negotiating because the public (well, most of them) will see what a big con it is.