Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Advice please - an I being a wimp

(64 Posts)
Valels Mon 03-Aug-20 21:05:39

DH and I have just checked in to a hotel in Scotland, I'm really not happy. There's no signage on distancing, no info on whether anything has been sanitised. We walked in wearing masks, we were told we really didn't need to bother. Staff aren't wearing masks, even to prepare/serve food. I'm thinking of checking out tomorrow even though I've booked for 4 nights.
This is our second hotel in Scotland. The first was spotless, signs everywhere, sanitised and wipes in the room, staff wire masks and takes were sanitised as soon as they were vacated. I felt safe there, I definitely don't here.
Am I just being a wimp, or are these genuine concerns?
Advice welcomed!

PS second time I've tried to post this, not sure what I'm doing, apologies if it appears twice!

cornergran Mon 03-Aug-20 21:12:36

Personally I wouldn’t stay there. What does your husband think? I suspect we’d be off elsewhere in the morning, neither of us would relax. These decisions are horribly individual, talk with your husband, go with your instinct. Wishing you well.

B9exchange Mon 03-Aug-20 21:16:12

Why not ask to have a chat with the manager? Signs don't mean a lot, it is whether they are complying with regulations that counts. Hopefully they can reassure you.

There is no requirement for staff to wear masks on hospitality premises in Scotland.

Chat to management, and only then if you are not happy, attempt to move hotels.

GagaJo Mon 03-Aug-20 21:16:58

No, you're not over reacting. Check out. Explain why you're leaving. And when you get home, write to ask for a refund.

You could stay and chance it and be fine. But would you worry too much?

BlueSky Mon 03-Aug-20 21:19:08

We've left hotels before, not for the virus, but for other reasons. Felt that it wasn't worth staying even when we had already paid, it would have spoiled the time off, so if you feel that way leave early.

ElaineI Mon 03-Aug-20 21:31:05

I'm horrified. Definitely check out and no you are not a wimp! These recent outbreaks since hospitality has opened up are because people have not followed guidelines.

Valels Mon 03-Aug-20 21:53:59

Thanks for all of your comments. We're definitely checking out tomorrow. I'll explain to the manager why we're going. He may actually be following guidelines, but I just need to see that he is to be reassured.
I'm going home, and I'm staying there for the foreseeable future, I've tried a trip outside, and I don't like it!!

Esspee Tue 04-Aug-20 07:34:17

I believe it is called “hygiene theatre” in the trade where hotels and restaurants put on a public display which may, or may not, reflect the care taken behind the scenes.
It may be the management feel they have exceptionally high standards at all times with no need to put on a public display.

Your chances of contracting COVID-19 in Scotland is remote compared to the rest of the country. Hope you enjoy the rest of your break.

Daisymae Tue 04-Aug-20 07:56:32

Go with your instincts. I always think that if establishments don't make an effort with what is visible what is the rest like? Sorry that you have had a disappointing trip. Better luck next time.

MawB Tue 04-Aug-20 08:47:58

Your chances of contracting COVID-19 in Scotland is remote compared to the rest of the country. Hope you enjoy the rest of your break

That’s reassuring Esspee (or is it EssEnnPee?
My area has had 4 cases per 100,000 over the last 2 weeks- I reckon here is pretty safe too .......

Alexa Tue 04-Aug-20 09:00:37

It sounds unhygienic. Is there any ordinary domestic cleanliness there?

I suppose the hygiene inspectors can't instruct all the managers in Scotland , and some managers are not very competent in some areas of their jobs.

henetha Tue 04-Aug-20 09:06:42

I'd be a wimp too, staying in a hotel like that.

Taliya Tue 04-Aug-20 09:23:35

Just leave the hotel if you are not happy. Doesn't sound very relaxing anyway going to hotels at the moment, masks, arrows on floor , hand sanitizer, social distancing. I'm not going to hotels until we have a vaccine or treatment and everyone behaves normally again. It's bad enough going shopping....soul destroying at the moment.

Summerstorm Tue 04-Aug-20 09:28:33

I think you might be wrong about staff not having to wear masks. My son is in the hospitality trade and all his staff behind and in front of house are wearing masks. All the guests are having their temp checked on arrival and won’t be allowed to enter if it’s above recommended level. One way systems apply throughout. Not only would I not stay but I would report this as putting everyone in danger

jaylucy Tue 04-Aug-20 09:29:42

Treat it just the same as if it was normal times and the place was dirty, the staff were rude and the food was horrible - would you stay then ?
Look online or make a few phone calls or even , if there are any hotels nearby, go and have a look at them and check for vacancies.
Then when you check out, just be honest and say that you are not happy with the lack of hygiene in the place as far as Covid is concerned, then leave.
Make sure that you check with your bank to make sure that you have only been charged for the time that you have stayed - not unknown that you may be charged for the entire time of your booking.
It's a shame that this one place seems to be unable to follow the guidelines that have been set down.

Rondetto Tue 04-Aug-20 09:32:04

My advice, complain to reception and get out of there. I am angry at places that are not respecting other people's health.
Masks we are told don't actually protect US but they protect others from our breath. So the hotel are disrespecting their clients. Get out now.

mphammersley Tue 04-Aug-20 09:35:26

No point in staying if you are not comfortable or happy, the idea of a hotel is to relax and enjoy yourself and you are clearing not going to do that now.
With all the hard work Nicola Sturgeon has put in trying to keep Scotland safe I doubt she would be impressed if she stayed there either!
You really no the answer, you are not a wimp, just sensible and trying to follow the rules! You know it makes sense!

mphammersley Tue 04-Aug-20 09:37:03

I meant "you really know the answer" type too quickly and do not proof read!

Dibbydod Tue 04-Aug-20 09:39:53

I agree with Summerstorm , was on the news last night showing staff wearing masks in the hospitality trade and the efforts these places have put into place to make sure we are all as safe as can be . This hotel is wrong in what they are doing , I’d pack my bags , get out of there , tell management why I’m going , say you want a refund and will be reporting them to their local council . It’s your Health that’s at stake here . Disgraceful when parts of the country have gone back into lockdown.

Davidhs Tue 04-Aug-20 09:41:42

The hotel was out of order. We stayed in a hotel in Kent 10 days ago, staff wore masks, all non essential items removed from rooms, tables distanced, it was obvious they were taking hygiene very seriously.
All the places we visited were also very serious, that’s how it should be, very little risk of infection.

MadeInYorkshire Tue 04-Aug-20 09:42:56

Not being a wimp at all!

Ask to speak to the Manager and explain why you are going and ask them to refund you for the days you haven't been able to stay - bad form in my opinion!

GoldenAge Tue 04-Aug-20 09:49:30

There may not be a requirement for staff to wear masks on hospitality premises in S Orleans but does this extend to food prep? I doubt it. Personally I would move out.

polnan Tue 04-Aug-20 09:53:25

not being a wimp at all, I won`t even go and stay in any hotel

and reports on BBC today is that lots of infections reported in Scotland, and many saying why! ie. not doing social distancing etc...

Jess20 Tue 04-Aug-20 09:59:58

Whimp is the wrong word, you are exercising justifiable caution. Personally I'd leave as your health is paramount.

NotSpaghetti Tue 04-Aug-20 10:00:25

The 1st requirement in Scotland is that there should be a risk assessment available to staff and on request to visitors. I can't find any info on masks in hotels so long as a safe distance is maintained. Why not ask to see the risk assessment as you may be surprised what's going on behind the scenes. The public display, as Esspee says is not really what we should be concerned about.

I had to stay away one night this week and the "theatre" of the hotel was impressive. It didn't really make me feel safe as no-one who worked there knew if the hotel had a "feel unwell stay at home and still be paid" policy.

Having hand sanitizer in the hallway is all very well but if, for example, cleaners have to work when feeling I'll, what's the point!