Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Looking into the future?

(35 Posts)
MawB Thu 13-Aug-20 08:28:16

Just stolen this from my daughter who, like all parents, is finding 6 weeks of school holidays hard going AFTER 4 months of lockdown and home schooling ....priceless ?

“In the future, when our kids are the parents... ? “

‘Oh my god, these kids are doing my head in. Six weeks is so long.......’

Six weeks? SIX WEEKS?? Try six chuffing months! You parents today haven’t got a clue what we went through in 2020. Six months of entertaining you, and we couldn’t even go any-bloody-where. All we had was Netflix and a colouring book. We had a heatwave, and couldn’t do any baking because every chuffer had stolen all the flour. Couldn’t make macaroni necklaces, no chuffing pasta. Praying nobody gets sick as we had two toilet rolls to last us til we dared even get in a QUEUE to go to a shop, and ended up using kitchen roll. We had to stand on spots on the floor and risked being tackled to the ground if we dare walk up an aisle the wrong way in Tesco by JimBob in his visor, who was working there cos he’d lost his job in a pub, which we couldn’t go to for a night off cos they were all bloody closed. We only saw people on a Thursday when we stood and clapped for nurses on the street, whilst wondering what would happen to Sharon in the Vic in Eastenders but not knowing because.....the soap operas all run out! Yep kids that’s right, no soaps!! Imagine that. We had to download things called zoom and had to attempt to do meetings in our houses whilst you lot ran around telling everyone you were bored, or hot, or STILL hungry despite the fact we’d made you fourteen breakfasts. We had this fit fella every morning attempting to get you fit on YouTube but that lasted all of two episodes before you put Spongebob on. We had to attempt to teach you, yes you! I was expected to print out all these bloody sheets, running out of ink at midnight attempting to print out the monarchy timeline for you to give it four seconds of thought before saying you didn’t want to do it and that’s not how Mrs Jones does it. We had to give up our phones so you could FaceTime your mates, or download more games, if it gave us five seconds of time to tidy up the kitchen only to turn around and see the living room had now been turned into a ninja warrior assault course. We dug out paddling pools, we got stung by wasps, we redecorated gardens and bedrooms, we hoovered a lot, we forgot what a bed ‘time’ was, we gave in to technology far too much, we had no money and ordered shit off amazon in the hope it passed an hour for you, we then had a chuffing postal strike as every postman got covid, and waved to other humans through windows on our one hour allowed out every day. Cash?? Didn’t have any, and if we did you couldn’t bloody use it as no chuffer accepted it for fear of touching you. Swimming? Nope. Cinema? Nope. Bowling? Nope? McDonald’s? Nope. Playgrounds? Nope. Taped off like a crime scene. None of that. 6 weeks?? Piece of p*ss mate.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 13-Aug-20 08:38:22

MawB that has made me laugh out loud!!!!

I am sure all our AC feel exactly the same, we had two GC here for the 8 weeks of strict lockdown teaching the 5 yr old was interesting ????

cornergran Thu 13-Aug-20 08:44:40

maw. grin.

Lucca Thu 13-Aug-20 08:47:25

So glad we didn’t have to deal with this when our children were small!
And imagine it without all the technology.
I’d be in prison probably for mariticide.....(I had to look that up?)

Oopsminty Thu 13-Aug-20 08:49:00

Excellent, MawB !

PinkCakes Thu 13-Aug-20 08:50:31

That's doing the rounds on Facebook..........

Charleygirl5 Thu 13-Aug-20 08:52:43

That was funny and a few years down the line nobody of a young age will believe you!

This is week 21 and I have almost forgotten how to get to my nearest town 2 miles away. No point going- no coffees oe loos.

Luckygirl Thu 13-Aug-20 08:55:47

I keep telling my GC that they will one day tell all this to their GC - how they lived during the pandemic.

Lucca Thu 13-Aug-20 08:57:32

PinkCakes

That's doing the rounds on Facebook..........

And ....?

DanniRae Thu 13-Aug-20 08:59:07

Thanks gringrin

Franbern Thu 13-Aug-20 09:32:29

Excellent summing up. But, seems to forget that as well as all this, so many of those parents were also trying to work from home!!! Even on Tv, we saw a high ranking Doctor being interrupted in her interview as childling came in to show her something.
I do not know how my adult children have all managed with working from their homes, AND home schooling, etc.
Yep, will be a great talking point in years to come!!!

narrowboatnan Thu 13-Aug-20 10:15:26

My DD can identify with that! I’ve sent it to her, it’ll make her feel better as she knows she’s not the only one

EllanVannin Thu 13-Aug-20 10:29:06

Am I the only one who remembers Asian 'flu ? We had no lockdown then and things remained the same even though people were dying like flies.
I was working on a ward where it was rife----no PPE, perhaps a mask if you weren't too rushed off your feet to put one on.

Patients who contracted it were dying of other things which the H2N2 virus/ pandemic attacked and weakened which was similar in its pattern in 1957. We have to also remember that people weren't fed as well as they are today, so quite a lot of malnutrition in the elderly who succumbed to the disease, though very few died who were under mid 60. It was rare in young people.

If I can manage to live through this, that'll be 2 pandemics in my life-time. Obviously my only reason to be cautious with this virus is that this time around I'm 63 years older than I was back then so I wouldn't tempt providence by being foolish just because I escaped its ravages last time.

annecordelia Thu 13-Aug-20 10:34:56

The modern version of Monty Python's 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch!

cupcake1 Thu 13-Aug-20 10:37:19

grin grin Thanks MawB!

annifrance Thu 13-Aug-20 10:40:27

Brilliant Maw. I've read a lot of books lately, some set during WWII in France, inter alia. Now reading Victoria Hislop's latest, set in Greece during the war, after during th Civil War in the 55s and then the colonels' fascist junta in 1967. Horrific. We don't know we're born. Not very sympathetic with many people, just those with severe Covid, medical perssonel, undergoing chemo and other severe physical conditions and my friend who is sudden ly and dramatically probably having a double mastectomy, difficult to get it all sorted and 4 weeks shielding totally on her own.

This current situation is not nice but it's a blip, so all (and that's most of.us) that can should just get on with it because it is what the situation requires. And support those who really need it, like my friend.

Just had having a s--t week, after 14 years with our lovely gite we have the only utterly ghastly people (Parisiennes) we've ever had, and here for two weeks. Then a nasty incident in a car park. BUT I WON'T LET THE BUGGERS GET ME DOWN. Rant over!!

Lupin Thu 13-Aug-20 10:49:52

This is fabulous! I am still laughing. I want both my daughters to see it.

sarahanew Thu 13-Aug-20 11:01:02

Brilliant!

lemongrove Thu 13-Aug-20 11:08:49

annecordelia

The modern version of Monty Python's 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch!

Yes, it is, but even better.?

polnan Thu 13-Aug-20 11:20:25

clapped for nurses on the street,

oops MawB... I feel a rant coming on.. I did NOT clap for the nurses,, I just kept asking , whoever would listen, why not really show how we appreciate them by giving them a decent salary, and free training, etc!

and even now.. still this Government, these MP`s,,, how many people..... still won`t recognise that they should be thanked by giving them a decent salary, etc.

I gave our dustbin men, sorry, wheelie bin men,, (what fancy name are they called now?) a money tip... they were so appreciative... I was embarrassed how much they appreciated it.. so the next fortnight, I tried to give them another, very small tip, I assure you... they said "NO" you have already given us enough for the year!

oh my! how low we have sunk (imo)

Craftycat Thu 13-Aug-20 11:38:22

Excellent. Made me laugh. Thankyou.

Calendargirl Thu 13-Aug-20 11:49:41

Diverting from main point of the thread, but my Tesco had large quantities of flour and various pastas reduced for quick sale this morning.

Obviously we are all pretty well set up for the above.

???

Callistemon Thu 13-Aug-20 12:19:59

Oh yes!
Brilliant, thank you MawB

Mollygo Thu 13-Aug-20 12:28:55

It’s true that it’s been on FB but my sister doesn’t do FB so I told her to look out on here. It saved me copy and pasting.
Thanks MawB

SusieFlo Thu 13-Aug-20 12:38:29

Brilliant!