Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

An epidemic of cracked teeth ..

(6 Posts)
rosecarmel Wed 09-Sep-20 05:35:00

"What’s going on?

One obvious answer is stress. From Covid-induced nightmares to “doomsurfing” to “coronaphobia,” it’s no secret that pandemic-related anxiety is affecting our collective mental health. That stress, in turn, leads to clenching and grinding, which can damage the teeth."

Originally published in the NYT ..

www.togiblog.com/2020/09/08/dentists-are-seeing-an-epidemic-of-cracked-teeth-whats-going-on/

Lucca Wed 09-Sep-20 05:44:34

Well as the article says, it is obvious !

I used to grind my teeth so much I had to wear a gum shield in bed and that was at a very stressful time in my life.

rosecarmel Fri 18-Sep-20 13:31:31

There was a segment on the radio yesterday where they discussed some of the symptoms to watch for, including headaches, jaw, neck and shoulder pain/discomfort-

Charleygirl5 Fri 18-Sep-20 14:03:20

I am on the waiting list for surgery to remove the after-effects. My crown cracked, became wobbly and had to be removed. The root had fractured and it will have to be removed by a max/fax surgeon. It was the fractured root which caused me the agonising pain.

Jane10 Fri 18-Sep-20 14:25:20

Hope you don't have a long wait Charleygirl- that sounds very painful.
I'm getting a wisdom tooth out next week. For some reason it's now pointing out so I bite my cheek when chewing. Goodness knows why it turned. Maybe grinding?

rosecarmel Fri 18-Sep-20 16:56:20

If humanly/financially possible, I'd suggest a massage- If not, a moist, hot compress on the shoulders and neck- To loosen the muscles and help decompress from stress-

I lay down on the hardwood floor a couple of times a day now to relax my back- I can then feel where tightness is and then place a hard ball under my back on that spot/area to get the muscles to release-