Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Meeting outside rules

(18 Posts)
Katyj Sat 26-Sep-20 06:13:09

We’re in lockdown again ! The rules state we can meet outside in groups of no more than six ,unless it’s from two households. Does anyone understand why this could be, it doesn’t make sense that I could meet family from three households but not two or am i being thick ?

suziewoozie Sat 26-Sep-20 06:27:29

Katyj what’s the exact wording?

Katyj Sat 26-Sep-20 07:07:19

Hi, it says. You can continue to meet in outdoor public spaces in groups of no more than six people, unless the group included only people from two households. Think I get it now, but can’t see the reasoning.?

Katyj Sat 26-Sep-20 07:09:39

Includes

suziewoozie Sat 26-Sep-20 07:14:47

Ah - I can see why you were confused. I’ve thought for ages that the real failure in communication has been getting across the message that the aim is risk reduction and not risk elimination ( which is impossible). So I suppose the thinking is that eg 6 people from 6 different households are a greater risk than 10 people from 3 different households as each household has its own risk

Katyj Sat 26-Sep-20 07:34:51

Thanks Suzie a lot of it is confusing, very sad that we’re separated from our loved ones again.

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 26-Sep-20 07:37:14

Not Lockdown though, it’s an easing of the original Lockdown.

As Suziewoozie says the more people you see, who are also mixing with other people ( that you don’t get to see, who are also mixing with people you don’t see) the greater the risk.

Katyj Sat 26-Sep-20 07:51:02

Feels like lockdown again though, unable to see family and friends for goodness knows how long.

Gymstagran Sat 26-Sep-20 07:51:33

As I see it,as transmission is mainly within households, restricting the number of people from those 2 households would make no difference to the risk.

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 26-Sep-20 07:55:03

Meet your family and friends in the Pub then , you might be separated in tables of 6‘s , but if you are happy with the risk then go for it.
Or a restaurant.
Hardly makes sense, but there you go.

BlueBelle Sat 26-Sep-20 08:03:03

Meet your family in an outside pub, park it’s desperately bad for your mental health to not see your family and friends
I am just as confused by it all as you katy listening to the news this morning I hear France is putting their tennis championships down to an audience of 1000 Where do they pluck these numbers from why is 1000 any safer than any other number ?

Katyj Sat 26-Sep-20 08:07:19

I don’t know Bluebelle it’s really getting on my nerves now. But with the threat of fines now being imposed readily my family don’t want to break the rules, especially as we have a lot of curtain twitches.

growstuff Sat 26-Sep-20 08:15:36

The current regulations state that you should:

"avoid social interaction with anyone outside the group you are with, even if you see other people you know"

Therefore, if you do go to a restaurant and book two tables of six, you should not mix with anybody from the other table.

vegansrock Sat 26-Sep-20 08:33:21

I’m muddled now- can I invite my DD and her partner to lunch ? ( 4 of us from 2 households?) or could I invite another 2 from another household? ( 6 of us from 3 households) I’m assuming both scenarios are ok??? I thought the latter was wrong .

suziewoozie Sat 26-Sep-20 08:42:03

vegan it all depends where you live. We can’t give answers without knowing that. In E in areas with no extra restrictions, the rule is very simple. No more than 6 people inside or out unless it involves a bubble. Number of households is obvs no more than 6. If a household is more than 6 it can’t altogether meet anyone else (unless in a bubble)

suziewoozie Sat 26-Sep-20 08:44:43

As for numbers, risk is a sliding scale and where the cut off point is is where it has been decided to balance the competing interests of society. That’s a political not scientific judgement. 1000 people together is less risky than 2000 and more risky than 100

Alexa Sat 26-Sep-20 09:18:44

The rules are imperfect and address the general rule -_ the less meeeting the better-_

Another general commonsense rule is _- Keep away from others as much as you can_-

Callistemon Sat 26-Sep-20 10:11:37

vegansrock

I’m muddled now- can I invite my DD and her partner to lunch ? ( 4 of us from 2 households?) or could I invite another 2 from another household? ( 6 of us from 3 households) I’m assuming both scenarios are ok??? I thought the latter was wrong .

I'm confused too.

Wales:
Is there a limit on the number of people who can be in an extended household?
No. There is no limit on the number of people who can be in an extended household, providing they all live in the households being joined together.

Up to four households are able to join together to form an extended household and only one extended household can be formed. This includes two existing extended households (of two households) joining together to make an extended household of four households.

However, as of 14 September, any one meeting or gathering indoors even within your extended household must be limited to 6 people (not including any children aged under 11). This applies in places like pubs and restaurants as well as in people’s homes.