Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid isolation, thought I understood but.....

(12 Posts)
Jaxjacky Sun 27-Sep-20 09:19:09

My son’s just txt me. He lives in a shared house, 5 men, one of their girlfriends has tested positive, my son hasn’t seen her for more than a couple of seconds, confused over whether isolation required. I thought if one of the men had symptoms and/or tested positive then yes. But I don’t know, your views please?

Hetty58 Sun 27-Sep-20 09:21:45

Does the girlfriend live there? Is she part of the 'household'?

Alexa Sun 27-Sep-20 09:29:30

The probability your son got covid slightly increased but not much. Everybody should suspect any upper respiratory tract trouble of being due to the covid virus.

If your son has kept six feet away so much the better. If the window was open so much the better. If your son was rested and otherwise in good health so much the better. If nobody else in the shared accommodation is infected so much the better.If they all wash hands a lot so much the better.

What I am saying is the viral load relates to many different variables.

My bet is your son will be okay and not become ill. I don't know how the law stands. This is a clear case for testing .

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Sep-20 09:38:13

Thank you, girlfriend does not live there, he is young and healthy, I’ve told him any symptoms, get tested. He wants to do the right thing, so asked me, it’s tricky.

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Sep-20 09:39:02

Sorry, no one else there has symptoms.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Sep-20 10:04:38

Hope your son stays well JaxJacky

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Sep-20 10:30:22

Thank you GrannyGravy13

Oopsadaisy4 Sun 27-Sep-20 10:59:31

Depends on how much time he has spent with the boyfriend that he House shares with I would think.

BlueSky Mon 28-Sep-20 11:53:52

Where does it end I wonder? If we live with somebody and the friend they meet socially tested positive do we all need to isolate for 7? days? I guess so same thing if somebody tested positive at a restaurant or pub we went to?

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 28-Sep-20 11:57:15

Yes, everyone in the house has to isolate for two weeks.

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Sep-20 12:22:12

Thank you for replies, they are all isolating.

Illte Mon 28-Sep-20 12:47:33

I've signed up for all the Government advice and there is a new email today

Guidance on isolation for people who have contact with a confirmed case but do not live with them - or words to that effect.

It also covers circumstances like your sons. I think he'd find it helpful.