Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Do not get caught by this NHS app scam

(8 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 30-Sep-20 19:30:18

This from a friend of mine..........

.And so it begins!......
‘Good afternoon I'm calling from the NHS track and trace service. According to our system, you are likely to have been in close proximity to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. This means that you now need to self-isolate for 7 days and take a COVID-19 test.'
'OK. Can you tell me who that person was?'
'I'm not able to tell you that. That is confidential information.'
'Right. Um... so ....'
'But you do need to be tested within the next 72 hours. So can I just get the best mailing address so that we can send a kit to you?'
'Ok (gives address)'
I just need to take a payment card so that we can finalize this and send the kit to you.'
'Sorry - a payment card? I thought this was all free?'
'No - I'm afraid not. There is a one-off fee of £50 for the kit and test results. Could you read off the long card number for me, please, when you're ready.'
'No - that's not right. This is part of the NHS so there's no charge.'
'I'm afraid there is. Can you give me the card number please - this is very important, and there are penalties for not complying.'
Puts the phone down.
This is how scammers work. And vulnerable people will fall for it.”
Don't fall for it...!
Please share.
COPY and PASTE and tell all elderly relatives too!!!
Be aware everyone!

NfkDumpling Wed 30-Sep-20 19:34:11

This was shared on Facebook recently. Hopefully most people are savvy enough to ignore it.

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 19:37:27

Oh, that's a particularly nasty one.
Very clever to play on people's fears, both of the virus, and the government.

MerylStreep Wed 30-Sep-20 19:42:37

What did people expect? The system is ripe for exploitation.
What about the women who are being contacted by staff members after vising a bar/pub/restaurant ?

Luckygirl Wed 30-Sep-20 19:47:52

It really makes me sad to see people exploiting this pandemic - is is beyond low. Just dreadful.

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 20:09:27

I hadn't even thought of that, MerylStreep but yes, I would imagine that's an issue, too.

Blinko Wed 30-Sep-20 20:09:32

If anyone asks for any financial information over the phone, they get short shrift from me. It's always a scam...

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 20:25:36

I think a person would be somewhat shocked to receive the call, and that's why the scammers immediately ask for card details.
When you're caught off guard about something, you're more biddable