Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Oxford Vaccine - looking good!

(53 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 26-Oct-20 11:08:34

The COVID-19 vaccine being developed by the University of Oxford produces a similar immune response in both older and younger adults, and adverse responses were lower among the elderly, British drug maker AstraZeneca Plc said on Monday.

uk.yahoo.com/news/oxford-covid-19-vaccine-trials-061709120.html

maddyone Mon 26-Oct-20 11:20:28

I’m very optimistic about this vaccine.

GagaJo Mon 26-Oct-20 11:23:37

Me too. A bit of positive news goes a long way.

FarNorth Mon 26-Oct-20 11:42:03

That sounds encouraging.

Alegrias2 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:45:56

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hope-for-covid-vaccine-at-new-year-25b52b86s

From JVT, a man not known for his blind optimism, this is encouraging too.

JenniferEccles Mon 26-Oct-20 11:48:29

Is this the one which has also produced a good T cell response too?

Things are looking up!

MayBee70 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:55:17

The article says extra people are being trained to inoculate people. Isn’t this incorrect. I thought inoculation was administering a live vaccine and the Covid vaccine isn’t live. However, after being picky about that (and I’m probably wrong anyway) JVT is one of the few people that I trust these days so I’m very optimistic about a return to normality next year. The WTO says that honesty from those advising/leading us is how people are brought onside and JVT is an honest, honourable man at a time when we need people of his calibre.

Jane10 Mon 26-Oct-20 12:23:12

I agree. If JVT says its OK its OK by me. I was glad to see him back on TV last week. I thought he might have been in disgrace for saying what we all thought re Cummings.

PECS Mon 26-Oct-20 12:27:50

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed that this proves to be successful...

must be very hard to be JVT..a balance between wanting to be on the inside to keep the extremes at bay but not being able to say exactly what you need to because the extremes will dump you!

nanaK54 Mon 26-Oct-20 12:33:10

Here's hoping!

NotTooOld Tue 27-Oct-20 11:30:33

There are a lot of snippets of good news about a vaccine at the moment. An item in the M on S yesterday said the government had sent out emails to NHS Trusts to be ready for mass innoculation of health workers in a few weeks time.

NotTooOld Tue 27-Oct-20 11:31:48

Sorry, obviously the article was on Sunday, not yesterday!

NannyB2604 Wed 28-Oct-20 16:40:26

This is looking good and it makes me proud to be part of the trial. I still don't know whether I've had the actual vaccine (double blind trial) but still glad I volunteered smile

Jane10 Wed 28-Oct-20 16:44:03

Gosh well done NannyB2604!

grannyrebel7 Wed 28-Oct-20 16:50:37

So pleased about this! Bring it on!

FarNorth Wed 28-Oct-20 16:51:43

Wow NannyB2604. Thank you for doing that.

Sarnia Wed 28-Oct-20 16:55:35

Something positive at last. Gives me hope.

AGAA4 Wed 28-Oct-20 17:01:59

Hope is what we need. We may have to wait a while but to know a vaccine will be coming is a boost.

3nanny6 Wed 28-Oct-20 17:16:39

Three people died at that laboratory they were working there on that Covid vaccine. I personally will never have the vaccine, I was listening to coverage on the news programme this morning and there are two types of vaccine. One that has the protein in and the other that does not and the spikes on the vaccine have to either build up an immunity or not. They said they are hopeful that most people will have no adverse reaction to it but as it is all new they cannot know because it has never been tried before. I will not have it.

GagaJo Wed 28-Oct-20 17:21:12

Have you got evidence of that, 3nanny6? The report I read said a volunteer died but that he had not had the vaccine.

Callistemon Wed 28-Oct-20 17:32:33

I read that one volunteer, a young man in Brazil, had died but that he had been given the placebo. The report did say he had died of COVID related complications.
If a volunteer who had received the vaccine had died, the report said the trials would have been halted.

maddyone Wed 28-Oct-20 17:38:53

I’m afraid I don’t believe that. The trial was stopped briefly in Britain because a volunteer developed a problem, but it resumed quickly after the volunteer recovered. The volunteer in Brazil who died was a 28 year old doctor. He sadly died, but it turned out he hadn’t actually had the vaccine.

ayse Wed 28-Oct-20 17:40:15

TBH I don’t know what to think anymore. So many scare stories and a government that is unable to still any confidence in me whatsoever. Currently, I’m not prepared to risk myself at the moment. I’m holding a watching brief.

I hope it goes well for those who decide to take part

JenniferEccles Wed 28-Oct-20 17:45:06

You should be proud of yourself NannyB2604
Where would we be if it weren’t for folk like you willing to take part in the trial ?
Will you ever be told if you had the vaccine or the placebo?

I guess it would be a double blind trial.

NannyB2604 Wed 28-Oct-20 18:04:12

JenniferEccles (love the name btw) they'll tell us at the end of the trial whether we've had the new vaccine or the control (the meningitis vaccine which is routinely given to teenagers)