Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Second national lockdown declared in France

(116 Posts)
MawB2 Wed 28-Oct-20 21:17:32

French President Emmanuel Macron has announced a second national lockdown for at least until the end of November. M. Macron said that under the new measures, starting on Friday, people would only be allowed to leave home for essential work or medical reasons.

Sympathies to our fellow Grans and their families in France.
Keep safe, all!

Galaxy Wed 28-Oct-20 21:19:47

And germany according to sky news.

Ellianne Wed 28-Oct-20 21:20:17

Yes, I offered a quick translation on the Europe thread when it was announced.

MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 21:21:03

They had very rigid lockdown the first time around.
I'm not sure if I'm making a point or not, but well.. it's worrying that they need a second one.

sodapop Wed 28-Oct-20 21:24:38

Not quite as severe as the first one but difficult enough. Busy now downloading forms so we can shop or go out for an hour's exercise.

Kamiso Wed 28-Oct-20 21:39:38

My stepsister has lived in France for years in a semi rural area. Her livelihood involves looking after horses and she had real problems last time around. She has to e-mail the mayor and print off the response every time she has to tend the animals. Difficult enough and then she ran out of printer ink. She ventured out but ran in to the police and had to prove what had happened. She must be willing COVID to be over.

Ellianne Wed 28-Oct-20 21:46:23

Kamiso can your sister not get the app on her phone if she has no printer ink?

Grandmafrench Wed 28-Oct-20 21:57:55

Thank you, Maw - we shall just keep going (or staying put rather, for the next 15 days, which will take us up to a first review). We shall be back to enjoying a walk not more than 1km from our home and not for more than 1 hour outside. Our little forms or phones must have times of departure on them and be available for Police to check if we are stopped. Macron has acted before the emergency hospital support becomes overwhelmed, so no arguing with that. On a lighter note....I have lots of flour and still loads of yeast - and toilet rolls. Let Joy Be Unconfined !!

Jaxjacky Wed 28-Oct-20 21:58:37

App is tousanticovid on phone, to register if contaminated and attestation form.

Galaxy Wed 28-Oct-20 21:59:44

What are peoples views on how macaron is handling the situation grandmafrench?

Galaxy Wed 28-Oct-20 22:00:33

Sorry macron, stupid phone blush

Ellianne Wed 28-Oct-20 22:08:57

I think the reaction of most French people I know is "c'est la vie." It wasn't unexpected.

Ellianne Wed 28-Oct-20 22:11:12

I believe Macron will explain fully tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see what angle he takes.

Kamiso Wed 28-Oct-20 22:20:45

She hasn’t mentioned an app. Does it mean she doesn’t have to keep filling out the forms to get permission to leave the house?

BlueBelle Wed 28-Oct-20 22:21:30

How can lock downs work ? once you come out it bites again
It’s like a grizzly bear just standing outside your front door

growstuff Wed 28-Oct-20 22:33:02

BlueBelle

I watched Merkel's speech and listened to her reasoning. She wants the health system and test, trace and isolate not to be overwhelmed. Germany is more generous towards those who are ill and/or have to self-isolate. She wants schools and Kitas (pre-schools) to remain open. Germany still has far fewer cases and deaths than the UK.

Ellianne Wed 28-Oct-20 22:33:55

Yes, Kamiso she can store the attestation on her phone but she will need to refresh it each time.
It says the site is being updated and to wait until announcements are made tomorrow by Macron. It is expected the new attestation might be different, so hold fire for the moment. The French love to produce more paperwork.

growstuff Wed 28-Oct-20 22:35:15

BlueBelle

They buy time. They don't work if the time isn't used to plan ahead and get the test, trace and isolate system to work. They also stop health systems from being totally overwhelmed. They need to be enforced if they're going to work.

Ellianne Wed 28-Oct-20 22:43:43

They also stop health systems from being totally overwhelmed.
I think this is Macron's main concern Bluebelle and hence the measures.

Lucca Wed 28-Oct-20 22:48:00

When you read about having to fill in forms and police stopping people etc in lockdown it reinforces the fact that ours here was nothing like a proper lockdown ! And yet people moaned about it.

Galaxy Wed 28-Oct-20 22:50:04

The french love to produce paperwork.
This made me smile, I love France, I miss it. Spent a lot of time there in my youth.

maddyone Wed 28-Oct-20 22:51:26

Agree with you Lucca.

Grandmafrench Wed 28-Oct-20 23:04:19

Galaxy

What are peoples views on how macaron is handling the situation grandmafrench?

I think, as Ellianne has said, people are fairly accepting. He’s quick to admit mistakes but it’s hard to see anyone dealing with this much better. At least the Govt make announcements and don’t contradict them within hours. To have the French people raging and rioting (a French thing which makes me crazy) would be terrible now. Pres. Macron is appealing to the French nation by trying to stress that every one of us, together, needs to take arms, again, against COVID or we’re never going to reduce the deaths. We need to unite and be strong. Hope it makes a difference. He’s often proved fairly unpopular but has only been doing exactly what he was voted in to do! Go figure!

And, Madame, your cheeky little macaron reference has been duly noted ?

Galaxy Thu 29-Oct-20 06:39:53

Thanks for that grandma, and Ellianne previously, I am interested in how different countries and governments approach the crisis. My father is German so it's been interesting watching their approach.

Esspee Thu 29-Oct-20 06:48:35

I believe it is inevitable here in the UK. Too many people riding roughshod over the rules, particularly the young who feel their right to party overrides other people's right to be protected from illness.