Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Seems like I'm being left behind!

(110 Posts)
nananet01 Fri 19-Feb-21 12:53:36

Hi there, I'm surprised how I feel after my husband was vaccinated this morning. He is 67 and I am 63, so he has been called in. The letter from the NHS offered a booking online or the alternative, to wait until our gp surgery called him in. He was going to take the 2nd option as we'd hoped to go together. Then on the spur, he went online and booked. I am very happy for him, however I now feel out on a limb and my anxiety has increased because all of our friends have been vaccinated, now my husband has, and not me. I cannot understand why or how I am feeling like I am when I am so grateful he has had his jab. I know it won't be long until it's my turn, but until then I feel set apart from everyone. It's hard to put into words.

maddyone Fri 19-Feb-21 12:55:48

I’m afraid I don’t understand why you feel like this. The over 65s are being vaccinated now. In a short time the over 60s will be vaccinated, and then you’ll have your vaccine.

BlueSky Fri 19-Feb-21 13:01:09

Vaccination envy! grin Your turn will come quickly enough nananet Your DH and friends cannot do anymore than you can at this stage anyway.

BlueBelle Fri 19-Feb-21 13:01:36

I can’t understand your feelings on this one you’re 5 years younger so why wouldn’t you be behind him
Does it really make that much difference it ll only be a week or two
My best friend got BOTH hers by January I won’t get my second till end of April but why should it matter
Are you upset because he didn’t wait for you
If all your friends have had the jab and now your husband you should feel far less anxious as you should be pretty safe

Septimia Fri 19-Feb-21 13:03:15

I think that those of use who are keen to have the vaccine are also a little anxious not to miss our turn.

DH and I are the same age, so were fortunate in being called together, but we have friend whose ages vary and one went well before the other.

Your situation isn't unique and it's understandable that you'll feel a bit left out until your turn comes round - and it won't be long!

Casdon Fri 19-Feb-21 13:04:54

You should be very glad that your husband has been done, he’s older, and male so has a higher risk than you do. I think we are nearly all desperate to have it done as soon as possible, but they have to do it by age. At the moment there is less vaccine available, but the 60-65s are next in line so it won’t be long.

Alegrias1 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:08:29

Hello nananet01. I think it could just be a bit of anxiety that you are showing, with everyone round about you being vaccinated and you still waiting. That's quite understandable, given how keen we all are about getting our jabs. I have a group of close friends aged 50s to 60s and about half of them have had their jabs already. I did have a pang of "jealousy" but it was only that, I know my turn will come.
My DH is in the group above me, because of his age, so he will have his before me. And every person jabbed is another step towards us getting out of this situation.
DH felt his age yesterday when the lady in Lidl asked him if he'd had his jab yet - they are still 2 groups away from him smile
Stick with it nananet01, it will be your turn soon. flowers

Ashcombe Fri 19-Feb-21 13:11:58

Be glad to live here! In France where DH lives, he won't receive his until August this year and he's 72!

BlueSky Fri 19-Feb-21 13:22:28

I’ve lied already about the question “Have you received your jab yet?” I wasn’t going to admit being in the 70+ group in public! grin

BlueSky Fri 19-Feb-21 13:23:55

Ashcombe they might regret not recommending the AZ for the 65+!

simtib Fri 19-Feb-21 13:28:07

If I had the option of having my jab or being 10 years younger I would gladly give up my jab and I am fairly fit for my age.

nananet01 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:31:13

Yes you all have good and valid points to make. As I said, I am really surprised to feel anything other than extremely grateful and happy for my lovely husband. I have pressed home that he still needs to be careful, he is so much more relaxed than me. Septimia and Alegrias1, you seem to understand what I am saying, thank you and yes bluebelle, I have heard myself say many times, the more of us vaccinated the safer we all are, it would have been great to be done together but logistically it wasn't going to happen. That is why my feelings took me by surprise.

Polarbear2 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:32:43

I think it’s a bit of anxiety. I do know how you feel as I’m in the same situation. It’s irrational I know but I feel a bit edgy too. I’m comparing it to that edge of seat thing when you’re at the airport and they haven’t called your seat -and it really doesn’t matter if you’re not first, but you still get jumpy for when your number is called. ?. It’ll be our turn soon. ?

MayBee70 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:34:01

I did have vaccine envy until I suddenly had a phone call from my surgery saying they were now vaccinating the under 70’s. I think it was because I was so close to 70 and for once wanted to be older than I actually am and also that many people I knew were being vaccinated but hadn’t been anywhere near as careful as I have been over the past year (eg meeting up with families/seeing them at Christmas etc). I felt they’d actually had a life of sorts and I’d put my life on hold waiting for a vaccine. I know it was mean spirited if me but it’s how I felt.

nananet01 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:37:46

I could have written that polarbear2!

Boz Fri 19-Feb-21 13:38:59

Just go in with him and ask to be vaccinated at the same time as you live in the same household etc. etc. They will not refuse.

Ellianne Fri 19-Feb-21 13:41:16

Grrr a bit of envy, anger and leg pulling from me on this issue yesterday. My husband 60 got a call from the surgery and gets his tomorrow. He asked about his wife 62, but they checked and I am not on the list yet!

nananet01 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:42:40

Boz, I didn't think to do that. We did call last evening beforehand and asked if it was possible but as I am not yet eligible they said no

nananet01 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:43:46

That doesn't make any sense at all Ellianne!

Georgesgran Fri 19-Feb-21 13:48:06

My DH has his nearly 3 weeks ago. He’s 70, but I’m in the next category. I could have had mine done in several different locations last week, but DH was so poorly, I chose to wait until it was safe to leave him. Had mine done yesterday afternoon.

Sorry Boz - but we tried that when DH got his, as I had to take him in, but it was a definite ‘no’.

Kittycat Fri 19-Feb-21 13:59:31

My husband 74yrs had his 1st jab 3 weeks ago which we are both very pleased about. He wanted me 63yrs to go in with him to see if I could get mine done at the same time as we live together but I told him no they won’t do that- which of course they don’t. He says we’ve been together all these years and been at home together all this time so it would be sensible to do us together! Bless him he’s worried about me catching it before I get vaccinated! We won’t be venturing out till both vaccinated whenever that is!

Casdon Fri 19-Feb-21 14:25:47

I’m pretty sure they would refuse Boz if it’s the Astra Zeneca vaccine, because it is being done in age order at the moment as they are awaiting new vaccine deliveries. My sister asked this week, in the same situation, and was told they had only done that with the Pfizer vaccine where people hadn’t turned up for appointments and they had to use it all by the end of that day or waste it. Hopefully more Pfizer vaccine will be coming next week.

Boz Fri 19-Feb-21 15:54:04

Don't ask on the telephone; they just work to the lists and can't help. I went with my older H and got done; I really just asked them nicely. Just say "Is it possible etc. etc.. My friend aged 61 went with her Mum who is 87 and asked the same. "Of Course" the said. Just go for it.

Boz Fri 19-Feb-21 15:56:47

By the way, I had the Astra Seneca on the 13th Jan. Of course it depends on supplies but it it worth asking.

Casdon Fri 19-Feb-21 17:09:04

Was that this week Boz? We’ve had a clear message from our Health Board not to ask. The vaccine is in short supply at the moment.