Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Are we allowed to be optimistic yet? *Title edited by GNHQ*

(88 Posts)
Alegrias1 Mon 22-Feb-21 12:38:30

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56153600

The vaccines are showing "spectacular" effects in preventing serious illness

Peasblossom Mon 22-Feb-21 12:45:37

I saw that bit of news and my heart lifted. I had the Astra Zeneca and then a phone call from a friend to tell me it was useless (unlike her Pfizer) so I’m especially pleased with the AZ figures.

BlueSky Mon 22-Feb-21 12:49:09

Yes Alegrias!!
Yes Peasblossom!!

BlueSky Mon 22-Feb-21 13:04:07

Peasblossom I had that reaction from friends abroad but thought they knew better here!

Blossoming Mon 22-Feb-21 13:12:13

This is wonderful news. I’m very glad I’ve had my first AZ vaccine and I will be so happy once Mr. B has his too.

Sara1954 Mon 22-Feb-21 13:53:39

Yes I had the same reaction from a relative, I’m so pleased he’s so knowledgeable, and knows so much more than the scientists and politicians.

Amberone Mon 22-Feb-21 14:19:50

I recently re watched the two Panorama documentaries on the AZ vaccine on iPlayer - I was amazed how much more sense they made to me second time around, in the knowledge that the vaccine was actually being rolled out successfully (even if I won't get mine for months yet).

I felt quite hopeful after that, but even more so now that the data being analysed is showing the reduced serious illness the scientists were hoping for.

Septimia Mon 22-Feb-21 14:34:36

As well as being good news for us all, it's very satisfying to know what a good job the scientists have done in developing the vaccines.

suziewoozie Mon 22-Feb-21 14:37:56

I think it’s a personality thing - my position is it’s good news so far as it goes - I’m waiting on the evidence as to how long immunity lasts, transmission and effectiveness with new variants. We have limited info on both.Atm it’s good to feel that if I catch it I’ve a very good chance of not being severely ill or dying. But I’m still trying to avoid catching it ?

growstuff Mon 22-Feb-21 14:41:07

I've never really been pessimistic.

However, I was touched by my 23 year old son's reaction when I told him that I'm being vaccinated this week.

I haven't seen him since last summer and he always makes out that his mother is an irrelevance to him now. He wanted to know when I'm getting my second dose and immediately said that he was looking forward to seeing me again.

I'm actually more worried about him because he's been stuck in a flat on his own for months and hasn't had any face-to-face university tuition for nearly a year.

Amberone Mon 22-Feb-21 14:50:51

I’m waiting on the evidence as to how long immunity lasts, transmission and effectiveness with new variants.

Same here.

If only everybody could be patient just a bit longer and allow the scientists to work out what we have and what we need to do next this would all be over so much faster. Sadly I can't see that happening.

suziewoozie Mon 22-Feb-21 15:28:04

Amber I think there’s been a lot of mixed messaging in the media with its own agenda ( no change there then). Plus people wanting to believe the best and so hearing what they want to hear.

Alegrias1 Mon 22-Feb-21 15:29:29

I asked GNHQ to take out the [ smile ] in the title because it didn't work the way I expected it to.

Much like this thread ?

I'm being optimistic, which isn't really in the character of a dour Scot.

AGAA4 Mon 22-Feb-21 15:36:55

Good news. I had the AZ vaccine which seems to be performing better.

Blossoming Mon 22-Feb-21 15:45:23

Obviously I’m still being cautious as well as feeling optimistic and happy to read this news ?

Jaxjacky Mon 22-Feb-21 15:47:37

I am cautiously optimistic, I have to be!

Urmstongran Mon 22-Feb-21 17:31:11

So far so great. Roll on summer!

Parsley3 Tue 23-Feb-21 09:30:05

I would have been devastated if the research found that the vaccines had made no difference to hospital admissions. Further research will answer the questions about immunity, transmission and so on but this initial news has given me hope and I will allow myself to be cautiously optimistic for now.

BigBertha1 Tue 23-Feb-21 09:43:56

Yes I am optimistic but I wonder what this very very cautious road map is really concerned about. Is it hospital admissions or transmissibility I wonder?

henetha Tue 23-Feb-21 09:56:10

I had the Pfizer jab in January and definitely feel optimistic.

suziewoozie Tue 23-Feb-21 10:01:42

BigBertha1

Yes I am optimistic but I wonder what this very very cautious road map is really concerned about. Is it hospital admissions or transmissibility I wonder?

I think Chris Whitty addressed this didn’t he? Our case numbers are still high, hospital admissions and inpatient numbers are still high, and not everyone is vaccinated, Of those who are vaccinated there is and never can be 100% protection, transmissibility still seems to be around 30% of those vaccinated. Opening up will lead to more cases ( increased R) and more admissions and deaths. Openin*but gradually is meant to mean tbat if this increase gets out of hand, the government will hit pause. Oh and I forgot new variants

suziewoozie Tue 23-Feb-21 10:02:18

Opening up gradually

GrammarGrandma Tue 23-Feb-21 10:33:14

I am optimistic by nature and am hopeful that by the summer there will be some resemblance to pre-pandemic normality.

Urmstongran Tue 23-Feb-21 10:44:05

Just after Christmas, My always optimistic husband booked us (plus stepfather) a holiday to Ibiza on 29 May - flights & hotel refundable if not possible due to restrictions. He is a very happy bunny this morning whistling a merry tune ...
?

HannahLoisLuke Tue 23-Feb-21 10:50:09

Peasblossom

I saw that bit of news and my heart lifted. I had the Astra Zeneca and then a phone call from a friend to tell me it was useless (unlike her Pfizer) so I’m especially pleased with the AZ figures.

Nice friend!