Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Auckland in lockdown again

(12 Posts)
nanna8 Sun 28-Feb-21 11:15:08

Auckland is having a week of lockdown after several new cases of Covid were found. It is the UK strain and they think it was caused by someone failing to self isolate. These hard, short lockdowns seem to be quite effective.

BlueSky Sun 28-Feb-21 11:22:49

Nanna you go in lockdown after just one case! Here it takes hundreds and people still feel they are hard done by!

nanna8 Sun 28-Feb-21 11:28:36

We’ve got used to it now. Melbourne is out of lockdown just now but we still have to wear masks in supermarkets and public transport. Everything is open though. Very slow vaccine roll out, only just started and they are making quite a lot of mistakes, too.

BlueSky Sun 28-Feb-21 11:52:01

Nanna not sure you’ve mentioned it before, but weere you born in Australia or are you a British expat? My two sons and families have set up homes over there, and unfortunately for me, they love it!

Peasblossom Sun 28-Feb-21 12:00:39

I travelled to Australia for the first time, a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it, especially Melbourne. Actually I loved it all.

What a country. If I’d been fifty years younger I wouldn’t have come back. ?

Do you visit often BlueSky?

grandmajet Sun 28-Feb-21 12:03:48

I agree, both Australia and New Zealand, from the bits I’ve seen of them, are beautiful countries, and even the cities feel uncrowded compared to the uk.
I hope Auckland is soon out of lockdown again, nanna8.

Erica23 Sun 28-Feb-21 12:06:34

Just been speaking to my sister in law in South Auckland. She’s upset they have a week in lockdown ! Hope it’s not longer. It is a shame all because one person didn’t follow the rules, lots of outdoor events had to be cancelled. Better to be safe than sorry though.

BlueSky Sun 28-Feb-21 12:24:51

Yes Peasblossom when my DGC were little I visited as often as I could. Just as well as it’s now been three years since my last visit. If I ever feel I’ll be too old to travel alone, I’ll ask to be assisted! Fingers crossed for next year! smile

Willow500 Mon 01-Mar-21 14:06:25

Spoke to my son last night who is in Auckland and they seem to lock down more or less instantly over there unlike here where they announce it then take ages to implement it! He was playing a gig on Sat night when they found out so they had to pack up and head home straight away. He said it was a family in isolation who visited another - even there folks don't want to follow rules ?

silverlining48 Mon 01-Mar-21 16:10:24

Arent these lockdowns just a few days? 5? I could deal with that, easy peasy.

Visgir1 Mon 01-Mar-21 16:40:00

I was surprised that New Zealand /Auckland was in lockdown.
Their PM seemed on the ball but they have a total population of only 5 million, I would have assume she would have got a good chunk of the country vaccinated or at least the big Cities done by now?

BlueBelle Mon 01-Mar-21 16:45:20

My sons not too happy my granddaughter getting married in 12 days Too close for comfort
3 people had CV but one person went to the gym was what my daughter in law told me on Sunday morning

They haven’t started vaccinating yet visgirl