Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

How is your area getting through the vaccine program after those in age order?

(107 Posts)
JaneJudge Sun 28-Feb-21 22:36:54

Our area appears to be lagging, I have emailed my MP and tweeted but I think even her tweets get carried by pigeons over several hundred miles to her actual home.

My daughter has a severe learning disability, cannot social distance and has other complex health needs. She would be group 6 but with JCVI regulations she is definitely group 4 and I have just about had enough of being fobbed off. Even every single person I have spoken to on 119 has said they have been able to book other people in with similar needs/disabilities.

I just wondered if this was typical? The government made an announcement last week saying people with SLD should have the vaccine with immediate effect, this clearly is not true.

I have checked with the GP, she is eligible but they have no control apparently about who is called and when.

Casdon Sun 28-Feb-21 22:49:01

I just looked it up for Wales for you, 16.4% in the clinical risk group have been vaccinated so far, so there’s a long way to go here.
There’s been a vaccine shortage UK wide for the last two weeks, but they are ramping it up again from this week as there are now more stocks apparently. I hope your daughter gets her vaccine soon.

NotAGran55 Mon 01-Mar-21 02:19:44

Have you tried to book her in through the NHS website .

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

JaneJudge Mon 01-Mar-21 09:32:35

Thank you for your replies

No, NotaGran 55, only social care/health care/social workers and funeral/mortuary workers can book through it here. I have just tried again, it gives me the same page as it has always done.

Casdon, that makes sense re supply issues, maybe it is just that.

BigBertha1 Mon 01-Mar-21 09:44:48

Yes indeed the Minister promised 'bumper weeks' in March so I your daughter gets hers soon. I was so pleased my daughter (asthmatic) got hers last week in Warrington. Our area is doing very well too.

EllanVannin Mon 01-Mar-21 10:04:45

I do know in my area they were red hot on the first bunch of us over 80's. How they've fared with illness or disability I don't know but I can imagine they've been just as efficient with marked up venues for all areas.
I'm in Wirral just over the water from Liverpool.

annodomini Mon 01-Mar-21 10:22:36

Six weeks since I had mine, here in East Cheshire, and I have heard nothing but good reports of the progress here. There are signs around the town pointing to the Civic Centre which is our local hub.

tanith Mon 01-Mar-21 10:26:51

I'm disappointed that 3 family members including 2 daughters who are all in the new lists haven't been called yet although a GD has been for having gestational diabetes. She feels her mum who is recovering from a stroke should get her dose. I don't know how they are working this all out.

Boz Mon 01-Mar-21 10:55:32

My daughter, 52, is getting hers in Manchester this week.

Peasblossom Mon 01-Mar-21 10:57:50

A stroke isnt to a high risk factor Tanith, whereas diabetes is. I guess that’s why.

grandmajet Mon 01-Mar-21 11:03:17

Our daughter, who is clinically vulnerable due to m.s., although not in the extreme category, had her first dose last week. She is 37. We are Nottinghamshire area. It does seem to vary quite a lot.

Americanpie Mon 01-Mar-21 11:09:26

Ours is terrible in Highland NHS region. Lots of my friends in England, younger than me, have had their first jag. I emailed my MSP after checking that our rate of vaccinations had plummeted; he told me I was wrong and sent me an article from the Sun that implied all of the UK was slowing down but that is not correct. Scotland's rates fell consistently from the 13th of February and England's slowed slightly from the 20th.

Ellianne Mon 01-Mar-21 11:35:44

A stroke is on the list Tanith. See NHS booklet.

tanith Mon 01-Mar-21 11:54:00

Thanks Ellianne I didn’t think we’d imagined it.

Peasblossom Mon 01-Mar-21 11:55:50

Yes, sorry.

Peasblossom Mon 01-Mar-21 11:57:04

I mean I really am sorry.

tanith Mon 01-Mar-21 11:57:06

Peasblossom no worries ?

paddyanne Mon 01-Mar-21 12:18:17

Must just be your area American pie I'm in Scotland and over 75% of 65-70 have been done Neighbours in the 60-64 range had theirs this morning and both my children had theirs last week ages 32 and 42 .Both have health issues though in my sons case its just mild athsma but he gets a flu jag every year so he's on the list.

Alegrias1 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:33:19

Americanpie

Ours is terrible in Highland NHS region. Lots of my friends in England, younger than me, have had their first jag. I emailed my MSP after checking that our rate of vaccinations had plummeted; he told me I was wrong and sent me an article from the Sun that implied all of the UK was slowing down but that is not correct. Scotland's rates fell consistently from the 13th of February and England's slowed slightly from the 20th.

Highland have given their first dose to 32% of adults in the region. Scotland has given their first dose to 29% of all adults so Highland is doing better than average in Scotland.

The reason that Scotland's rate "plummeted" is that it was so high in the period up to the 13th Feb. England were going much more slowly then so had less scope to "plummet".

England has given the first dose to 30% of people, so I'm with your MSP. He's correct. The whole of the UK slowed down because of the planned reduction in the Pfizer supply.

www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/

coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:38:50

There are a number of reasons for the apparent slow down.

Supply of course.

Stockpiling another- that is regions stocking for the second dose, so Pfizer will if it is thought to be in short supply be one if the vaccines being kept back for second doses.

JaneJudge Mon 01-Mar-21 14:17:00

Thank you for all you replies, I really appreciate them. I hadn't realise they were saving for second dose either.

rosie1959 Mon 01-Mar-21 14:22:55

Our GPs are doing group 6 in age order starting with the oldest groups 5 and 7 have to book through the national booking service

JaneJudge Mon 01-Mar-21 18:48:41

I was rang this afternoon by someone at the GP surgery, they said they couldn't send a letter as we had to have a discussion surrounding my daughter's best interests as she has no capacity, they seriously suggested it was in her best interests to have the vaccine. I agreed, I'm over the moon! She will have it the end of the week smile I hope all others in precarious situations get theirs soon too

growstuff Tue 02-Mar-21 10:07:03

rosie1959 We seem to have the same system, which is weird.

People in Group 5 weren't contacted by GPs, but were expected to use the national booking service, which has been inconvenient for some, as it involves quite long journeys.

The GPs are now contacting Group 6, some of whom have now been vaccinated.

Meanwhile, we all received a text stating that we shouldn't contact GPs about the vaccine under any circumstances and the practice wouldn't talk to anybody about anything vaccine-related.

It's a bit strange and a lot of people are very angry about it. It would help if we could be given a reason for the decision.

I can confirm that Group 5 wasn't contacted by GPs, because I'm in that group. I booked online and it wasn't too much of a problem, although I did have to travel 12 miles, but others have waited until they received a communication from the GP. They haven't heard anything and now Group 6 is being vaccinated and people in Group 5 are worried they've been left out, but nobody will talk to them about it.

Alegrias1 Tue 02-Mar-21 10:53:23

Good News JaneJudge, I hope it all goes well!