Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

First non essential shop visit

(154 Posts)
gillyknits Mon 05-Apr-21 12:35:53

Sorry if this has been asked before.
Which non essential shop will you visit first after 12 April.?
I can’t make up my mind whether to go to Dunelm or M&S.

B9exchange Mon 05-Apr-21 12:47:59

The hairdresser! Probably followed by a haberdashery shop.

Jaxjacky Mon 05-Apr-21 12:50:19

None here, I’m an online shopper, I’ve disliked shops for years and my hairdresser comes to the house, well she will in about a month!

NotAGran55 Mon 05-Apr-21 12:50:38

John Lewis in Oxford to buy some towels .

cornishpatsy Mon 05-Apr-21 12:52:54

M&S has been open throughout lockdown, I go shopping there.

EllanVannin Mon 05-Apr-21 12:53:40

I've been buying stuff online. Won't be beaten grin

Charleygirl5 Mon 05-Apr-21 12:54:20

The hairdresser and then I think to get the two bushes called eyebrows trimmed.

Most of all I am really looking forward to next month when I can meet friends for a coffee indoors once again.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 05-Apr-21 12:54:21

John Lewis and The White Company in Chelmsford along with a shoe shop to have the youngest GC’s feet measured properly for the first time. Up to now it has been on a downloaded from Clark’s piece of paper (a paper version of an in-store shoe measure)

BlueSky Mon 05-Apr-21 12:54:43

I think this Covid has been the proverbial nail in the coffin for ‘non essential ‘ shops. A lot of people have tried online shopping, liked it, and they are going to carry on. I’ll certainly will.

Katyj Mon 05-Apr-21 13:05:18

Barkers in Northallerton then probably Lakeland and Boyes. Can’t wait, who’d have thought shopping would be exciting !

Galaxy Mon 05-Apr-21 13:17:06

You can buy a measuring device for about 10 pounds then Clark's will calculate it in line, saves tedious trips to try on childrens shoes. Love shopping online.

J52 Mon 05-Apr-21 13:18:23

John Lewis. I’ve been buying on line, but I just want to go and see the quality, exact colour, length of some things.

NotAGran55 Mon 05-Apr-21 13:26:16

I like to see , feel and smell what I’m buying and can’t be doing with the faff of returning online goods.

I enjoy driving, going out in general , having a coffee , interacting with people etc so won’t be using online in future .

Children’s shoes must surely be fitted properly in a shop!?

Galaxy Mon 05-Apr-21 13:32:02

No you can do it at home. Same machine. Same instructions etc.

Galaxy Mon 05-Apr-21 13:33:52

It's so helpful for some children with autism for example.

SynchroSwimmer Mon 05-Apr-21 13:34:41

TKMaxx and Homesense...

Amberone Mon 05-Apr-21 13:35:04

Hate online shopping - I like to touch and see what I am buying. Only use online for things I can't find elsewhere. Not to mention the increased waste generated by all the deliveries - a disaster for the future.

There aren't any shops I really want to visit, but we do enjoy a day out somewhere like Oxford or Winchester or Salisbury where we can wander round beautiful buildings and visit shops if we want to. I'm looking forward to doing that again.

ninathenana Mon 05-Apr-21 13:36:45

I have a manicure booked for 22nd and am trying to book a haircut. I won't be dashing to any particular shop.
Daughter is desperate to go to Primark for children's clothes.

muse Mon 05-Apr-21 13:38:36

I much prefer on line shopping for clothes and shoes. Not many shops stock clothes for tallies like me.

I will be doing a M&S (food) shop now we are allowed to travel further. My nearest is 45 min drive and then I'll decide whether to park and ride or drive into the city (Truro).

This will wait until 27th though when Mya is at the creche and I will make a day of it. I'll also have lunch outside the lovely Art Cafe after a browse around the shop.

choughdancer Mon 05-Apr-21 13:48:21

Charity shops!

Margiknot Mon 05-Apr-21 16:51:13

A hair cut is much needed for my fine short hair and you have just reminded me to book- thank you! I’m currently sporting a rather shaggy pudding basin effect. After that I really want to look at clothes- I am no good at choosing on line unless I can feel the fabric and see how things hang! DH needs new walking boots and training shoes as he has worn everything out. DH has booked a meal out ( in a hotel garden as a belated birthday celebration) - we just have to hope for dry weather.

MissChateline Mon 05-Apr-21 16:58:33

I’m going nowhere until after my haircut on Tuesday next week. Then I shall give it a few days to let the frenzy reduce and hit the city centre in Leeds. John Lewis will be my first stop as long as I don’t have to queue and can try clothes on. I refuse to buy clothes online and will not buy from a shop that expects me to buy first, take the stuff home then travel back with returns.
I’m looking forward to IKEA but after queuing for 45 mins in the rain last time I’m not rushing back there.

grannysyb Mon 05-Apr-21 17:03:12

John Lewis and Fabricland to look for buttons for blouse that I am making. Have haircut booked for 7.15 pm on the 12th!

Teacheranne Mon 05-Apr-21 17:17:18

Some furniture shops to get a new kitchen table, the one I have is on its last legs - literally as it is very rickety! I buy most things online but I need to sit at the table and test it’s strength before I buy it.

Scentia Mon 05-Apr-21 17:22:47

Clarke’s to get my DGS feet measured.