Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Why are arrivals from India not being sent to quarantine hotels?

(88 Posts)
GrandmaKT Thu 08-Apr-21 20:52:57

I saw in the news this morning that New Zealand have temporarily suspended flights from India due to the rapidly escalating Covid rate. (Prior to this all arrivals from India and from anywhere else had to go to a quarantine hotel for 2 weeks).
Here in the UK, not only are flights still coming in from India, but passengers don't even have to go into the quarantine hotels and are allowed to go home to self-isolate.

Jaxjacky Thu 08-Apr-21 21:32:57

They will be on the UK red list from 4am tomorrow morning, into quarantine.

Hopikins Thu 08-Apr-21 21:35:27

Then we are asked to trust, what we are told about Covid, it's insane

GrandmaKT Thu 08-Apr-21 21:58:51

Jaxjacky

They will be on the UK red list from 4am tomorrow morning, into quarantine.

I don't think so, that's Bangladesh, Kenya, Pakistan and Philippines

Jaxjacky Thu 08-Apr-21 22:13:40

Apologies, I thought it was.

Kim19 Thu 08-Apr-21 22:19:12

This whole arrivals thing is a mystery to me. Heard yesterday on tv that eight thousand people a day are arriving at Heathrow. Where on earth are they all coming from and why? My mind boggles at the suspected Covid inefficiencies behind all this.

maddyone Thu 08-Apr-21 22:21:38

Totally agree Kim. Where are they all coming from and why are they coming?

GrandmaKT Thu 08-Apr-21 22:53:12

Even the people who go into the quarantine hotels, there doesn't seem to be any data of how many are infected.

jeanie99 Sat 17-Apr-21 06:34:48

India have a serious problem at the moment.

I hope anyone coming in from India is monitored, the government need to sort this out immediately.

All the passed lock downs will have been a waste of time
if we get the new variant which India have at the moment.

BlueBelle Sat 17-Apr-21 06:52:33

Why is Boris Johnson going to be going to India ...idiot man

suziewoozie Sat 17-Apr-21 07:10:48

Follow the money

nanna8 Sat 17-Apr-21 07:54:24

You're mad. What's wrong with your government? Unbelievable stupidity.

Iam64 Sat 17-Apr-21 08:24:10

It’s outrageous to have anyone coming into the UK from countries where the virus is out of control, India/Pakistan as examples.
If those countries don’t stop international travel, it’s up to our government to close our borders.

Alegrias1 Sat 17-Apr-21 08:24:24

nanna8

Said the woman whose government has only reached 25% of its vaccine targets.

Glass houses.

Sarnia Sat 17-Apr-21 08:27:35

It beggars belief, doesn't it? Jacinda Ardern has played a blinder during this pandemic. She has put New Zealand first. India has described her actions as racist but she has carried on regardless and good for her. It is no earthly use trumpeting the vaccine figures then allowing people to keep swanning into the UK from places we are told not to visit!!

maddyone Sat 17-Apr-21 10:20:43

Sarnia

It beggars belief, doesn't it? Jacinda Ardern has played a blinder during this pandemic. She has put New Zealand first. India has described her actions as racist but she has carried on regardless and good for her. It is no earthly use trumpeting the vaccine figures then allowing people to keep swanning into the UK from places we are told not to visit!!

Absolutely Sarnia.

grannyqueenie Sat 17-Apr-21 10:24:35

Bluebelle exactly! How are people to be encouraged to travel responsibly through this summer when public figures seem to be able to bend/break rules all over the place. confused angry

Teacheranne Sat 17-Apr-21 11:31:12

I’m always amazed by the photos showing people queuing at border control at Heathrow and complaining about how long it takes. I’d like to know why so many people are travelling when we are only supposed to make necessary journeys. They don’t look like business people to me!

I don’t accept travelling abroad to attend a wedding or to see family as necessary when there are many people who have not met with family during the pandemic even when they all live in the UK.

Just get our borders closed to give the scientists time to develop vaccines and treatments for these new variants.

nanna8 Sat 17-Apr-21 11:37:25

Alegrias1

nanna8

Glass houses.

I love you too darling. Our government are pretty hopeless, too. No one said anything different though we have controlled the actual spread well. By the way, I am not a politician but I assume from your slightly unpleasant comment that you are a member of the British cabinet?

nanna8 Sat 17-Apr-21 11:39:33

Actually I think it is more like 5% wish it was 25% I’d be happy with that.

Alegrias1 Sat 17-Apr-21 11:44:41

Sarcasm rules OK.

I've never called the population of an entire country mad because their government are incompetent. That's quite unpleasant.

Let's split the difference - 15%.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56585365

EllanVannin Sat 17-Apr-21 11:50:29

For the virus to have gathered pace so quickly, it's certainly been there far longer than any expert would have you believe.

Callistemon Sat 17-Apr-21 12:46:25

Alegrias1

nanna8

Glass houses.

Non-Australians are banned from entering Australia anyway.

The vaccine roll-out is slow but there have been no cases in some areas for a while now and fewer than 15 new cases in the whole country.
I know that those in their 60s are being called for vaccination.

I do hope they do increase the roll-out asap and open the borders.

Alegrias1 Sat 17-Apr-21 13:02:54

Non-Australians are banned from entering Australia anyway.

Unless they are rich and famous.

Matt Damon, Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts, Idris Elba, Liam Neeson....

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9361823/Australia-entering-Golden-Age-cinema-Hollywood-stars-flock-amid-Covid.html

The Mail again but the Aussie papers are all behind firewalls.

Callistemon Sat 17-Apr-21 18:35:52

I've just applied for my Equity card.