Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Would you do this?

(95 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 09-May-21 10:10:23

Hello Everyone
I'm not sure why I'm asking, because it's going to happen anyway...?

Neighbour, who is in his 80s, has asked DH to give him a lift to the hospital. DH will wait for him, and bring him home.

Neighbour will have had both vaccines I'm sure; DH has had one and has also had Covid (despite shielding).

Neighbour actually asked me and I said yes, it was fine. I honestly didn't think of the Covid risk at the time.
DH is absolutely fine about.
Windows will be open and I will ask him to wear a mask.

What would you have done?
Thank you

Galaxy Sun 09-May-21 10:13:33

I dont think it matters what I or anyone would have done, it matters that you are comfortable with. I wouldnt volunteer soneone else or a job though grin but that's nothing to do with covid.

FannyCornforth Sun 09-May-21 10:14:46

Thank you Galaxy - sorry, I don't understand the last bit

Chestnut Sun 09-May-21 10:14:50

I've travelled in a few taxis lately which I think is a much higher risk, so this is really no risk. Both wear masks, windows open, passenger sit at the back instead of the front, wash hands afterwards. Life goes on!

Sara1954 Sun 09-May-21 10:16:38

I would have done the same, can’t really see a problem
We need to try to get back to normality.

Galaxy Sun 09-May-21 10:16:45

It sounds as though you volunteered your dh to drive, I wouldn't like to be volunteered for something by someone else, that's all. But your dh is probably very different to me, fir which I am sure you are grateful smile

Galaxy Sun 09-May-21 10:17:28

He can probably operate a phone without spelling mistakes for example.

ExD Sun 09-May-21 10:18:41

If the car windows are open and they wear masks I can't see any more risk than sitting at a table in a pub garden where you need to remove your mask in order to drink.
One point, don't be shy of reminding the elderly person that their mask needs to cover their nose - so many are wandering around with their mask over their mouth only.

GrandmaKT Sun 09-May-21 10:21:07

Volunteer drivers have been taking people to and from hospital throughout the pandemic. The risk is very low now in your circumstances and I would do it without worrying.

Sara1954 Sun 09-May-21 10:24:29

Galaxy
I would probably volunteer my husband without a second thought, but I would be absolutely fuming if he volunteered me!

FannyCornforth Sun 09-May-21 10:24:48

Galaxy

It sounds as though you volunteered your dh to drive, I wouldn't like to be volunteered for something by someone else, that's all. But your dh is probably very different to me, fir which I am sure you are grateful smile

Oh no. I definitely didn't volunteer him. He would definitely, definitely have said yes.
Thinking back - I did check with him while neighbour was on the doorstep.
There is no way he'd say no.
He'd do anything for anyone.

FannyCornforth Sun 09-May-21 10:27:15

Galaxy

He can probably operate a phone without spelling mistakes for example.

You do make me laugh! ?
(You were really funny on the thread about men too)

Gannygangan Sun 09-May-21 10:28:14

He sounds lovely and helpful. You both do.

I'd be perfectly happy for my husband to do this for a neighbour.

Masks as has been mentioned and nice job to help out a neighbour in need.

nanaK54 Sun 09-May-21 10:29:38

I would have done the same

Galaxy Sun 09-May-21 10:31:59

Thanks fanny I was trying so hard to be good on that thread. I had to sit on my hands.

Pepper59 Sun 09-May-21 11:00:00

My husband took someone to hospital recently. Windows open, person sat in back with mask, husband driving with mask on. Person had to go to appointment alone anyway. Hand gel used on both getting out, then getting back into car. They had both had only one vaccination each at that time and thankfully all was fine.

Calendargirl Sun 09-May-21 11:01:49

I remember from previous posts that your DH has not been in good health lately Fanny, so it’s good that he is obviously much better now.

??

FannyCornforth Sun 09-May-21 11:08:48

Thank you very much Calendargirl, that is very kind of you.
He has recently had breathing tests and a heart scan.
He's got his first appointment at the post-Covid respiratory clinic this week. So fingers crossed his results will be good.
And also that he will be able to start taking his RA medication again.
It's been so complicated ?
Hopefully things will get sorted soon.
Thank you again flowers

nadateturbe Sun 09-May-21 11:15:42

It's very good of your husband to take him
Fanny.
I would do it (and wear a woolly hat and scarf in the car). I would probably worry a little but do it anyway.

lemsip Sun 09-May-21 11:20:42

I would have apologised and said no...
Neighbour should get a taxi. Your husband is very vulnerable having had covid already. ..you should cancel and say he cannot do it.

Namsnanny Sun 09-May-21 11:21:22

We've just done something similar.
Whilst it ran through my mind, is this safe? We went ahead anyway.
I would have kicked myself if we had caught something though!

FannyCornforth Sun 09-May-21 11:33:00

lemsip

I would have apologised and said no...
Neighbour should get a taxi. Your husband is very vulnerable having had covid already. ..you should cancel and say he cannot do it.

There's absolutely no way that DH would do this, whether I wanted him to or not.

annodomini Sun 09-May-21 11:54:08

I'd do it and have already shared my car with a friend when she needed a lift. However, we have both had two vaccs, and wore masks. She did the same for me.

Redhead56 Sun 09-May-21 11:58:46

In the back seat with a mask

Jaxjacky Sun 09-May-21 12:02:07

I wouldn’t be happy if my husband did did it if he’d recently bern as poorly as yours has been. Not just Covid, but a bad cold or similar being caught from the neighbour with your husbands breathing problems. Otherwise, with precautions, no problem.