Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Indian variant - Is anyone else incredulous at Boris yet again having shut the stable door after the horse has bolted?!

(116 Posts)
Stillwaters Sat 15-May-21 10:58:16

Well, I say incredulous, but I'm not -just exasperated at being in this situation yet again; his not shutting our borders to India the moment this became known risks delaying lockdown measures being lifted, and a huge rise in hospitalisations. Grrrrr

Lucca Sat 15-May-21 11:12:59

No. Come to expect it. Boris babes will talk about “hindsight” etc.

Lucca Sat 15-May-21 11:13:48

Sorry Boris supporters not babes, slip of the finger and unnecessarily rude.

Ilovecheese Sat 15-May-21 11:20:42

Not surprised, just his normal lack of leadership and decision making.

Shandy57 Sat 15-May-21 11:24:41

I feel exasperated as we are an island, we should have shut all borders.

eazybee Sat 15-May-21 11:30:10

No, I am incredulous at all the criminally stupid people who thought it was all right to fly to India knowing the pandemic was raging there, and then considered it was equally all right to return to Britain with a good chance of carrying the disease.
I am also incredulous at the number of people in the Bolton area who have steadfastly refused to take the vaccine, and are having to be persuaded to accept it.

JoyBloggs Sat 15-May-21 11:30:52

Sadly, I'm not remotely surprised at this latest wrecklessness and incompetence.

I am very, very angry.

EllanVannin Sat 15-May-21 11:35:32

I'm soooo annoyed---selfishly, because I'm thinking of myself for once, in that having only had the one vaccination which made me so ill, and because of rank carelessness over our non-closure of borders/ airports etc, I'm torn between having/risking being ill again for a month by having a second jab or being " confined to barracks " for weeks to come.

I'm not a person to be forced to do anything I don't want to do but it annoys me that because of someone else's carelessness in not looking far enough ahead or studying pandemics that were all told to vaccinate vaccinate vaccinate.
It's not my fault that the virus entered the country !
Sorry, but I'm furious and would have closed off this small island of ours for 12 months !!

winterwhite Sat 15-May-21 11:35:53

I think that the risk is exaggerated because the PM and his scientific advisers are terrified at losing their hold over the public.

The prospect of getting to September with no proper opportunity to enjoy the summer is very depressing.

The new variants certainly highlight the need to get on and vaccinate the under 30s as fast as possible, and to further encourage the vaccine hesitant, but what is the sense in double-jabbing people and then expecting them to behave as though they had never been jabbed at all? Not much.

Do we want the police on the streets and fines all over again.? No.

rosie1959 Sat 15-May-21 11:37:37

eazybee

No, I am incredulous at all the criminally stupid people who thought it was all right to fly to India knowing the pandemic was raging there, and then considered it was equally all right to return to Britain with a good chance of carrying the disease.
I am also incredulous at the number of people in the Bolton area who have steadfastly refused to take the vaccine, and are having to be persuaded to accept it.

Tend to agree with you on this
If people were coming back from India before the hotel restrictions came into place then as uk citizens they should have been responsible and self isolated and tested as required
The vaccination rate is particularly low in the areas of Bolton affected around 46% I read this in a local Bolton newspaper

EllanVannin Sat 15-May-21 11:40:54

The reason for the high rise of cases in Bolton is that the Indian or whatever community weren't coming forward to be vaccinated because they were scared so refused to have the jab.

farview Sat 15-May-21 11:41:42

I live in Bolton...the vaccination roll out,I think,has been really good...the amount of people refusing to have the vaccine is the big problem here!!!!!....plus ,of course,people visiting, then returning here from India...

varian Sat 15-May-21 11:42:05

I am incredulous, no shocked, that passengers arriving from India and other covid hotspots have to queue for hours in the immigration hall at Heathrow cheek by jowl with passengers from everywhere else and can then make their way home on public transport.

rosie1959 Sat 15-May-21 11:45:56

Perhaps the people that were scared of having the vaccine might find the idea of catching covid and the virus running riot will change their minds

Flowershop Sat 15-May-21 11:47:48

Yes, I am shocked, stunned and amazed that Boris isn't clairvoyant. It's come as a real surprise to me that Boris cannot see into future.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 15-May-21 11:48:13

Lots of comment on twitter 99% critical.

It is clear that yesterday's SAGE meeting was significant.

The Prime Minister has taken the view that the risks of a possible substantial resurgence of hospitalisations - similar to or larger than previous peaks - is worth taking.

That is a political decision.

Dr. Duncan Robertson.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 15-May-21 11:50:34

“So in short the Indian variant might mean we don't return to normal for a much longer time. And the Indian variant is here because of Brexit and Boris Johnson's determination to make an eye catching trade deal with India. Well done everyone. Great job.”

Kali2 Sat 15-May-21 11:50:44

This could be Johnson's undoing, and I hope not as it would make all the sacrifices we have all made for so long, more or less in vain. And could threaten the very success of the vaccination programme.
Dangerous times.

Jaxjacky Sat 15-May-21 11:53:26

Take up of the vaccinations in India is low too, many refusing amid rumours of heart attacks and infertility, Times today.

EllanVannin Sat 15-May-21 11:53:30

Playing Devil's Advocate, I wonder what would have happened if Boris had closed the country completely ?

Flowershop very few, if any politicians use forethought.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 15-May-21 11:57:16

EllanVannin

Playing Devil's Advocate, I wonder what would have happened if Boris had closed the country completely ?

Flowershop very few, if any politicians use forethought.

Do you mean like New Zealand?

EllanVannin Sat 15-May-21 11:58:18

Jaxjacky, in a way I can't blame them for thinking on those lines, it's the unknown and to be on the safe side they're erring on the side of caution. I know how I felt and I was no willing participant for the first jab.

MayBee70 Sat 15-May-21 12:01:46

winterwhite

I think that the risk is exaggerated because the PM and his scientific advisers are terrified at losing their hold over the public.

The prospect of getting to September with no proper opportunity to enjoy the summer is very depressing.

The new variants certainly highlight the need to get on and vaccinate the under 30s as fast as possible, and to further encourage the vaccine hesitant, but what is the sense in double-jabbing people and then expecting them to behave as though they had never been jabbed at all? Not much.

Do we want the police on the streets and fines all over again.? No.

In America, people that have had two vaccinations or have proof that they’ve had covid are being allowed to be restriction free. It’s a different approach but one that might take off here at some point but I don’t think we’re at that stage yet. I believe they’re vaccinating much younger people in America too.

Jaxjacky Sat 15-May-21 12:02:01

Australia mostly closed their borders EllenVannin they have 85 cases of the Indian Variant.
If we’d totally closed ours, I don’t know, I’m sure others have a better idea than me.

EllanVannin Sat 15-May-21 12:15:44

* Jaxjacky* I did read in the Aussie news last week that they were aware that there was one person who was carrying the strain but weren't successful in tracking him/ her down.