Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Tim Spector talking about the delta variant

(23 Posts)
growstuff Thu 10-Jun-21 16:17:25

Some people probably follow Tim Spector anyway, but I thought this video is worth watching.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHBua3aXQ7c&t=4s

Spector mentions the exponential growth of cases and some worrying aspects about the new variant. He's usually quite up beat, so this is significant.

Interestingly, he mentions that the symptoms of the delta variant are different and might be overlooked. He suggests that this is one reason why it's spreading so fast.

MayBee70 Thu 10-Jun-21 16:21:03

But he said a few weeks ago that covid was now endemic and it was no longer a pandemic didn’t he?

Mattsmum2 Thu 10-Jun-21 16:23:18

I watch these and log on the Zoe app too. Anything we can do to give more information on what’s happening must be a good thing. Do your bit x

growstuff Thu 10-Jun-21 16:30:50

MayBee70

But he said a few weeks ago that covid was now endemic and it was no longer a pandemic didn’t he?

During this video, he also admitted he was wrong about the transmissibility of the delta variant. It's now been shown that the virus itself is more "sticky" and attaches more readily to ACE2 receptors, which allow it to replicate in the body.

For me, the important message from this video is that we need to be more alert to "cold like" symptoms and continue to be cautious.

JaneJudge Thu 10-Jun-21 16:40:29

As you know, I border on a borough with a high incidence rate and it has now been confirmed in one of my children's schools, actually someone in his class. We were given that information at the beginning of the week regarding symptoms being different. The email said headache was the main symptom, sneezing/block nose (which I thought will be difficult during hayfever period) upset stomach and aching legs. It said if you had any of the symptoms along with a fever and an LFT was negative to not go into school and wait for a PCR test.

My neighbours had the Indian variant too, the Mum works in a school. The Mum & Dad had both had one vaccine, the children none. Mum and children have gotten over it but the Dad has had a stay in hospital and paramedics have been out to give oxygen and he doesn't sound very well.

Also, as it doesn't appear to be common knowledge...this was on one of the emails from school:

^Cases of the new COVID-19 variant first identified in India (known as VOC-21APR-02 or
B1.617.2) have recently been identified in XXXX. These cases are not related to
travel and include cases in children and adults in all education settings.
We are working closely with Public Health England to investigate the cases and will undertake
additional testing where this is appropriate.
Evidence suggests that this variant spreads more easily than previous strains. In nearby
X, cases of this variant are increasing, and there has been a rapid rise in cases overall,
particularly amongst children and young people.
The emergence of this new strain locally, and the speed with which it has spread in X, is
a reminder that we must all continue to be cautious and do what we can to control the spread
of the virus^

^Around 1 in 3 people do not have symptoms of COVID-19; increased testing will help to
find other cases, and to limit the spread of this disease.
To access testing please visit www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test
Latest guidance from the Director of Public Health for XXXX is that schools
should continue to use all preventative measures, including face coverings, to help to
reduce the transmission of COVID-19 cases in our area^

then there is lots of attached information about where to get tests etc

JaneJudge Thu 10-Jun-21 16:41:47

sorry that post is so disjointed, it really doesn't copy and paste well from emails des it confused

growstuff Thu 10-Jun-21 16:51:41

JaneJudge It's good that the information is getting out to the public. It sounds as though the local authority is doing good work. I just hope people take notice of it.

MayBee70 Thu 10-Jun-21 16:59:07

growstuff

MayBee70

During this video, he also admitted he was wrong about the transmissibility of the delta variant. It's now been shown that the virus itself is more "sticky" and attaches more readily to ACE2 receptors, which allow it to replicate in the body.

For me, the important message from this video is that we need to be more alert to "cold like" symptoms and continue to be cautious.

I don’t know if you’ve been watching any of DrJohns recent blogs but he’s spoken to several people that advocate the use of ivermectin which actually stops the virus being able to attach itself so easily. They’re using it with success in several places, including parts of India, but there still doesn’t seem to be much interest in it in this country.

growstuff Thu 10-Jun-21 17:25:37

Ivermectin has now been dropped from India's list of approved treatments because it hasn't been shown to be effective.

There is currently a huge amount of activity in UK labs to investigate the processes by which "spike proteins" attach themselves to receptors and the way this has changed with new variants.

I don't watch Dr John Campbell's blogs so frequently as I used to. He's always very good on gathering data, but I'm more wary about some of his recommendations.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 09:41:22

You may not be interested but we've had another letter today say other people within the positive covid 19 cases reported have also tested positive for covid 19

growstuff Fri 11-Jun-21 09:45:41

JaneJudge

You may not be interested but we've had another letter today say other people within the positive covid 19 cases reported have also tested positive for covid 19

That must be quite worrying.

I don't know whether you knew, but school cases aren't always included in the national statistics. They're supposed to be dealt with by the local authorities, unless there's an outbreak.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Jun-21 09:56:28

I filled in my Zoe app just now and I live in the South but it is very alarming how quickly it is spreading even here.

growstuff Fri 11-Jun-21 10:06:12

Whitewavemark2

I filled in my Zoe app just now and I live in the South but it is very alarming how quickly it is spreading even here.

The incidence rate has been increasing daily in almost every area of the country.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 14:32:00

Goodness me, we have had a second letter saying there have been several more confirmed cases in other bubbles throughout the day confused

MayBee70 Fri 11-Jun-21 14:47:17

At this rate there won’t need to be another lockdown as everyone will be having to self isolate….

growstuff Fri 11-Jun-21 17:15:53

Schools have been told to send children/staff home as a last resort. In many cases, children in the same bubble haven't been told to self-isolate, which has contributed to the rapid spread. They're supposed to use lateral flow tests to identify the infected, but as we all know they're not particularly accurate and the government has said that children no longer need to wear masks. It's almost as though they're using children for a massive experiment.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 20:23:15

I hope you like my updates as my son said they sent another whole class home today. One was told not to go in yesterday.... confused

I don't know why they don't switch to remote learning if it's possible for 'most' iykwim

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Jun-21 21:13:52

Maybee www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/ivermectin-why-potential-covid-treatment-isnt-recommended-use

growstuff Fri 11-Jun-21 21:32:13

JaneJudge

I hope you like my updates as my son said they sent another whole class home today. One was told not to go in yesterday.... confused

I don't know why they don't switch to remote learning if it's possible for 'most' iykwim

Because the Daily Mail readers wouldn't like it!

Daisymae Fri 11-Jun-21 21:34:10

There seems to be a general lack of interest in the current changes and rise in the infection rates. I wonder if it's a case of we'll ignore it and it will go away. Of course that strategy worked well last time....

growstuff Fri 11-Jun-21 22:26:13

Daisymae

There seems to be a general lack of interest in the current changes and rise in the infection rates. I wonder if it's a case of we'll ignore it and it will go away. Of course that strategy worked well last time....

I don't know the reason, but I've noticed that too (not just on GN). Some of the scientists who have highlighted the rises have had to suffer some vile abuse and I have noticed some snide comments in the media to undermine them by accusing them of being negative. It's not their fault that the new variant is more transmissible and that incidence rates are rising, but that's not what some people seem to think.

Tim Spector has always been quite upbeat and positive. Only last week, he was saying that the Delta variant was no need to worry, so for him to say what he is now is indeed worrying.

If ever the country needed trustworthy leadership, it's now!

growstuff Fri 11-Jun-21 22:28:24

Of course the name of the latest child in the royal family, a decision by a handful of students at Oxford and clothes worn by the Prime Minister's wife are far more gripping and newsworthy! [hmm}

welbeck Sat 12-Jun-21 02:08:22

JaneJudge, are you in the west/ north-west tranche of London ?
apparently london has the lowest take up of the vaccine, so that doesn't help the rising number of cases there.
it is a bit worrying.
thanks for your updates, from the coalface as it were.