Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

U.K. tests more than any Country in Europe

(53 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Fri 02-Jul-21 10:57:49

I am hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me can explain if it is because we are testing more that our cases are so high.

Many are asymptotic so without taking a test would carry on as normal, with the chance of infecting others?

Also cannot find any definitive data regarding false positives.

MawBe Fri 02-Jul-21 11:09:06

It would appear to be perfectly possible. The number of hospital admissions is perhaps a better guide - do we have those figures (per 100,000 of population) for other countries?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 02-Jul-21 11:12:17

It is the delta variant that is pushing up the numbers. With luck European countries will make a better fist of keeping it at bay than we have.

Mamie Fri 02-Jul-21 13:28:20

This is the yesterday's data.
covidtracker.fr/
You will see that Les Landes is the only département which is orange; it has the highest incidence of Delta. The hospital admissions are in the départemental data.

Casdon Fri 02-Jul-21 13:44:01

www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea
Here’s the latest EU data, the positive Covid test rate per 100,000 is higher in some regions of the UK, so it would be fair to say that it’s not just because we are testing more than some other countries that our rate is so high. If we were testing a higher number of people every week, but the percentage positive rate was low, as it was a few weeks ago Europe would be much less worried about our citizens going there.

growstuff Fri 02-Jul-21 13:51:52

I agree with you Casdon. The UK's positivity rate is increasing, so the higher numbers aren't just because we test more.

foxie48 Fri 02-Jul-21 14:24:50

Have a look at the Worldometer data, we have a figure of 3,129,022 per million for tests, which is a great deal higher than any other country. We also test for variants more than most countries.

growstuff Fri 02-Jul-21 14:32:44

It has been government policy to test frequently rather than insist on harsh lockdown measures. It's the positivity rates, hospitalisations and deaths which really matter.

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 14:35:47

Sorry, I know I'm a pedant....

Nine places have higher rates of testing per million people than us. Including Denmark (nearly 4 times as many) and Austria (twice as many).

growstuff Fri 02-Jul-21 14:39:15

I didn't realise that. In that case, I don't know what the issue is.

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 14:44:32

Oh, I think we still have a high rate of testing growstuff, it doesn't change what you posted.

Casdon Fri 02-Jul-21 14:46:10

I’m being dim Alegrias1, if we have a lower testing rate than Austria and Denmark, but a higher incidence per hundred thousand of positive tests then that doesn’t preclude us having a higher incidence than those countries, it still suggests we have doesn’t it?

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 14:50:06

I have never seen you being dim on here Casdon so I decline to believe it now wink

Yes, I think what you have written is true. I wasn't commenting on incidence rate, only testing rate per million.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 02-Jul-21 14:50:16

Alegrias1

Sorry, I know I'm a pedant....

Nine places have higher rates of testing per million people than us. Including Denmark (nearly 4 times as many) and Austria (twice as many).

Sorry Alegrias1 I have obviously got my dunces hat on today, as I cannot understand how Denmark and Austria can test more but are behind us on the ONS data chart?

I am just trying to assimilate what data/figures are correct, I am not the one with the science brain in my family.

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 14:53:05

Can you post the ONS chart GG13? Is the difference between absolute number of tests and tests per million?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 02-Jul-21 14:58:51

It’s the one in the OP Alegrias1 , I think my hay fever medication has rendered me incapable today.

Mamie Fri 02-Jul-21 15:10:06

I think the broader picture is basically about trends, so in France as in many other European countries you can see the downward trend in case numbers, hospitalisations and deaths as the success of the vaccine programme has kicked in. This mirrors what happened in the UK a couple of months earlier.
Then Delta arrived in the UK and pushed (some) numbers back up again.
The French health minister has just said that Delta has now gone up to a third of all cases from 20% 5 days ago. Case numbers are still low at the moment.
I think we are going to see these fluctuations everywhere, but if vaccines are minimising serious illness and protecting the vulnerable then I think governments should learn to manage the testing / isolating / quarantine more effectively.
I hope so!

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 15:20:31

GrannyGravy13

It’s the one in the OP Alegrias1 , I think my hay fever medication has rendered me incapable today.

That first graph was too small for my old eyes GG13 smile

But I think it says Daily Covid Tests? So we could be far ahead on numbers of tests but the ratio of tests to population could be larger in countries with smaller populations?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 02-Jul-21 15:28:20

Thank you for your patience, I am trying to find a clearer picture of the graph.

I have just seen these figures on Twitter number of patients admitted to hospital yesterday 259, overall total in hospital 1795, patients on ventilators 287, it looks like that although the link between disease/hospitalisation/death hasn’t been totally broken, the vaccines have definitely reduced severity of symptoms.

Mamie Sat 03-Jul-21 06:57:44

This is interesting.

Mamie Sat 03-Jul-21 07:17:25

I don't think those differences in incidence rate could just be down to testing.
And I do wonder why we, double vaccinated and from an area with an incidence of 14 per 100,000 are not allowed into the UK to see our family without the need to quarantine. Many reports in the papers now about the double vaccinated being allowed into mainland Europe for holidays - time for a bit of reciprocity maybe?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-Aug-21 10:53:03

Why have our vaccine rates slowed down so much?

silverlining48 Thu 05-Aug-21 10:57:26

I have noticed that too WW.

Esspee Thu 05-Aug-21 11:06:46

Vaccine rates have slowed down because our generation have almost all been vaccinated by now and the younger generation think that it’s an old people’s disease and are not queuing up for it.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-Aug-21 11:11:37

I also believe that there are supply issues.