Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Is everyone doing LFT twice a week?

(104 Posts)
FarNorth Fri 05-Nov-21 20:13:09

I haven't been doing LFTs as I almost never go anywhere.
However, I've been told I should do them twice weekly anyway.

Are you all doing them? And registering the results?

Nonogran Fri 05-Nov-21 20:18:00

Oh gosh! What’s an LFT?

SueDonim Fri 05-Nov-21 20:18:29

No, not twice weekly. I do them if I’ve been somewhere I think high risk or, more likely, before I visit my elderly mum.

I haven’t registered the results because it summed complicated to do and I couldn’t think of a password at that moment. blush I haven’t checked back since then, maybe I should. I do register the results with Zoe, though.

Woodmouse Fri 05-Nov-21 20:20:42

I've never done one and have no plans to do so.

ElaineI Fri 05-Nov-21 20:25:11

Yes

MerylStreep Fri 05-Nov-21 20:44:56

Who told you you should be taking them twice weekly?
I’ve only had one and that was in hospital a month ago.
I have no intention of taking another one.

GillT57 Fri 05-Nov-21 20:56:10

I take one after I have attended a social gathering such as a wedding or a funeral but I don't register the results (all negative so far) because I had bother with the logging in and password process and just gave up.

Visgir1 Fri 05-Nov-21 20:59:38

Have to for my job.

Pammie1 Fri 05-Nov-21 21:08:20

Unless you take LFT’s for work, after you’ve been somewhere/in contact with someone you consider high risk, I don’t see the point of doing an LFT twice a week. If you’ve got symptoms you think may be Covid, an LFT isn’t appropriate anyway.

Esspee Fri 05-Nov-21 21:12:56

We do one before visiting anyone at high risk. We both have really strong gag reflexes and hate the process. We always register the results.

Shinamae Fri 05-Nov-21 21:14:57

I have to as I work in Care so it’s two lateral flow tests a week and one PCR test..

Greenfinch Fri 05-Nov-21 21:15:28

I have never done one.We have two teenage grandchildren living with us and we do it with them twice a week as requested by their schools. If one of them tested positive then I would do a test.

MayBeMaw Fri 05-Nov-21 21:21:18

Esspee

We do one before visiting anyone at high risk. We both have really strong gag reflexes and hate the process. We always register the results.

New tests are nostril only - so much easier!

BlueBelle Fri 05-Nov-21 21:24:44

I ve only done a couple when I ve been near someone whose tested positive
So no I wouldn’t do them twice a week

LadyStardust Fri 05-Nov-21 21:37:28

I do them twice a week, as I visit my elderly parents and want to keep them safe. I also think we have a responsibility to keep everyone else safe, if you visit public places. They were giving boxes of tests away outside my local Aldi yesterday. They are available freely and it only takes a few minutes of your time. Why wouldn't you do them regularly?

BigBertha1 Fri 05-Nov-21 22:02:29

No we aren't doing them but we don't mix indoors much. I do an LFT if I am visiting the charity I work with as it is a requirement. We are both triple jabbed.

Lincslass Fri 05-Nov-21 22:45:27

Pammie1

Unless you take LFT’s for work, after you’ve been somewhere/in contact with someone you consider high risk, I don’t see the point of doing an LFT twice a week. If you’ve got symptoms you think may be Covid, an LFT isn’t appropriate anyway.

Sorry beg to differ. LFT Test have been found to be very accurate and I would use one in the first instance if any of the 21 symptoms occurred.
www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing/regular-rapid-coronavirus-tests-if-you-do-not-have-symptoms/

Lincslass Fri 05-Nov-21 22:49:17

Oops wrong research. This one shows the research re accuracy
www.nursinginpractice.com/covid-19/lateral-flow-tests-more-accurate-than-previously-thought/

MiniMoon Fri 05-Nov-21 22:53:32

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately reverted to my nursing days, LFT's said to me liver function tests, and I wondered why anyone would be doing those twice a week.

I have never done a lateral flow test and my husband has only done one, and he works two part time jobs. Ought he to be doi g them as a matter of course? He has never been asked to except on the occasion when he had been in contact with someone who had tested positive.

Mogsmaw Fri 05-Nov-21 23:05:59

I do a LFT every 4 days and I have since I started working in town again and mixing with more people (incl those who don’t ware masks or those that blow directly in your face).
It’s the recommendation of the Scottish government you do a test twice a week so I do. Both for me and for others, just as the Scottish parliament asks me to. As I am mixing with others it seems selfish not to, as others have said, it’s only a swab in the nose so no big deal.

Hellogirl1 Fri 05-Nov-21 23:08:10

I`ve only taken one, last week, I haven`t been feeling well for a while, and my daughter insisted I take a test, but it was negative. I went for my booster today.

Mogsmaw Fri 05-Nov-21 23:13:22

Also I always register the results or it distorts the numbers. It’s really easy, you sign up, save the password, and it just scan the code on the test.
Honestly, if your out and about it really is your civic duty.

Marydoll Fri 05-Nov-21 23:14:48

Yes, because I'm ECV. Both my husband and I do it twice a week and report, despite testing negative.

My family also do them for work and to help me stay safe.
Its not as difficult to report as some fear and helps the scientists monitor the disease.

Cabbie21 Fri 05-Nov-21 23:15:03

I am in two choirs and we are expected to take a test before rehearsals. I report the results if i remember to do so.

Biscuitmuncher Fri 05-Nov-21 23:24:05

I've never done one. I read somewhere that if we all stopped testing the pandemic would be over!