Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Bob Dylan

(28 Posts)
annodomini Thu 13-Oct-16 12:49:28

Has won the Nobel Prize for Literature "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition".

I once had a mature student who averred that Dylan was a great poet but I must admit he didn't convince me. But was I wrong?

dramatictessa Thu 13-Oct-16 13:10:22

Yes, you weregrin

whitewave Thu 13-Oct-16 13:29:02

He was so good!!

nanaK54 Thu 13-Oct-16 13:31:54

So wrong!

Anniebach Thu 13-Oct-16 13:34:38

So very wrong, he is a brilliant writer

annodomini Thu 13-Oct-16 13:34:38

I must listen more carefully!

merlotgran Thu 13-Oct-16 13:36:47

A brilliant writer of his time. He spoke for so many of us although I have to admit I didn't understand all of it.

Ana Thu 13-Oct-16 13:45:22

I think his voice can be a distraction at times. If you actually read the words of his lyrics, the poetry is there.

Tegan Thu 13-Oct-16 13:45:57

I read many years ago that Dylan's poetry/lyrics were up there with the very best....I even bought my SIL a book of Dylan's lyrics because of it. Can't remember who wrote the review but they were quite respected.

TriciaF Thu 13-Oct-16 17:02:26

I remember trying to like Dylan back in the 60s, 70s, and thinking his words were just pretentiously obscure. I think he was in a druggie phase, and influenced by Rimbaud.
Later, especially after watching Scorsese' documentary in 2005,(No Direction Home) I got to enjoy his music and admire his intellect.
He's still touring but really shouldn't be, his voice is worse than ever.
I think I read that Leonard Cohen had also been nominated.

Irma Thu 13-Oct-16 17:05:21

I never liked Dylan, preferred Donovan. I do enjoy his lyrics performed by others!

SueDonim Thu 13-Oct-16 17:18:54

I'm very happy to see Bob Dylan's name as a Nobel prize winner. I think Leonard Cohen would be a worthy winner, too. They'll need to get a move on if the latter is to get a Nobel prize as he's 82yo now!

nanaK54 Thu 13-Oct-16 17:20:34

I saw Dylan live at the old Wembley Stadium many moons ago what a fantastic concert

SueDonim Thu 13-Oct-16 17:23:22

We saw him at Earls Court in the mid-80's, probably his worst ever phase. Mostly, he was offstage while a group of gospel singers warbled away. People actually booed him, it was so bad.

Luckygirl Thu 13-Oct-16 18:28:55

Leonard Cohen is a con!

As for Dylan - his writing is quite clever at times but definitely not Nobel standard. He just seems to write a list of random words that rhyme and fits the lyrics round that - definitely not a Nobel technique I think!

I have nothing against him - he was of his time and is very nostalgic now. But Sondheim or G&S more deserving I feel and they were never honoured in this way.

I do think it debases the Nobel prize - dare I say dumbing down without getting lynched?! - ducks!!

nanaK54 Thu 13-Oct-16 18:34:10

Each to their own

gulligranny Sun 16-Oct-16 14:46:35

I agree with Luckygirl, Nobel prize dumbed down. If we are to have lyrics as poetry then there are far better examples than Dylan's; the evocative work of Eric Maschwitz, say - "the sigh of midnight trains in empty stations" - or the cleverness of Noel Coward.

BlueBelle Sun 16-Oct-16 14:51:28

I agree with you Luckygirl absolutely nothing against Dylan at all but my first reactions was where the heck did that come from
I personally wouldn't have voted for him by a huge mile

Ana Sun 16-Oct-16 15:47:08

'The pump don't work
Cos the vandals took the handles...'

My favourite Dylan lyric!

Falconbird Sun 16-Oct-16 16:05:04

I have so many favourites - here's one.

"Get sick, get well hang around an inkwell,"

Reminds me of school in the 1950s.

Ana Sun 16-Oct-16 16:07:25

That's from the same song, Falconbird - Subterranean Homesick Blues! smile

(although it was the 60s for me)

Shanma Sun 16-Oct-16 16:10:28

Well deserved. I would have votes for him, been a fan for so many years ( Too many).Luckygirl they are not random words, nor do they always rhyme. he tells it like it is.
Listen to this one: Positively Fourth Street, then tell me the words are random. Brilliant lyrics in my opinion.

mrsjones Sun 16-Oct-16 16:48:10

The wind it was howlin' and the snow was outrageous
We chopped through the night and we chopped through the dawn
When he died I was hopin' that it wasn't contagious

He gets my vote.

Falconbird Sun 16-Oct-16 16:54:57

"Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command."

The lyrics of The Times They are a Changing" really gave me hope for the future.

DanniRae Sun 16-Oct-16 17:12:00

I really like Positively Fourth Street - it reminds me of an ex friend of mine. I guess Bob Dylan had an ex friend too!!