Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Julian and Sandy

(29 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Tue 23-Apr-19 21:30:36

An American friend just reminded me of this wonderful OTT couple from the Kenneth Horne Show and Beyond our Ken.

I used to love them, still do and this little radio clip made me laugh so much I thought I'd share.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4VaXsXCJ4M

MiniMoon Tue 23-Apr-19 22:43:28

I loved Round the Horne. My family and I listened to it every week.
Remember Rambling Sid Rumpole?

youtu.be/rGRa_ZoOX24

Larissa67 Tue 23-Apr-19 22:46:25

Thanks for the memory Bradford Lass. Loved this programme though a mere child. Subversive and dating for its day and outrageously funny.

Alima Wed 24-Apr-19 06:35:28

Wonderful programme, reminds me of long ago Sunday lunches listening to Round the Horn.

BradfordLass72 Wed 24-Apr-19 07:00:10

MiniMoon "Oi think the aaanswer loys in the soil."

And his folks were hilarious. I think it was Rumpo - Rumpole was of The Bailey.

There are some very funny memories on this page if you scroll down to 'Main Characters'

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_the_Horne

NanKate Wed 24-Apr-19 07:09:40

Thanks for this BradfordLass I loved all the great humour of the 50s and 60s. There are only a handful of comedians who make me laugh now. Humour has changed and not for the better IMO.

Kenneth Horne and Kenneth Williams we’re masters of humour.

BradfordLass72 Wed 24-Apr-19 07:15:16

I was wrong about it being Rambling Sid, he was thw folk singer.
It was 'Arthur Fallowfield (based on a real life BBC gardener) who used to say the answer lies in the soil.
Love the show and I agree with you NanKate that humour just isn't of the same calibre these days.

The Navy Lark and before that Meet the Huggets and A Life of Bliss (I can still hum the theme tune) were other favourites.

NanKate Wed 24-Apr-19 07:19:43

Life with the Lyons, Al Read, Tony Hancock. Those were the days.

Thank heavens for Paul Merton and a few others. There is a funny German comedian called Hennig something. He has a very British sense of humour.

Beckett Wed 24-Apr-19 07:24:19

Loved Around the Horne. Anyone else remember Two Way Family Favourites? Listened to it every Sunday - it linked families and military personnel posted overseas.

Greyduster Wed 24-Apr-19 07:33:02

I still have Round the Horne CDs and listen to them when I want a good chuckle. Fanny Haddock and Daphne Whitethigh, Ageing Juvenile Binkie Huckaback and Dame Celia Molesteangler as Fiona and Charles, Seamas Android (loosely disguised as Eaomon Andrews!) and of course Rambling Syd Rumpole; the whole ridiculous crew. I don’t know how they got away with it back in the day.

Greyduster Wed 24-Apr-19 07:34:00

Molestrangler! Bloomin’ iPad!

Grandma70s Wed 24-Apr-19 08:09:49

When I was in student accommodation this was required listening. We all used to gather round the single radio in the kitchen. We were sure it was full of outrageous double meanings, but weren’t always sure exactly what they were. Funniest programme ever.

mcem Wed 24-Apr-19 08:40:15

Please bear in mind that these programmes still appear from time to time on BBC R4E.
Currently you can hear The Goon Show, Hancock, Dad's Army, Michael Bentine, Navy Lark and more.

sodapop Wed 24-Apr-19 08:42:41

Round the Horn and Hancock's half hour, so funny and cleverly written. Hancock's Blood Donor remains imprinted on my brain to this day.

Katek Wed 24-Apr-19 08:59:32

“A pint? Why that’s very nearly a whole armful!”

Wonderful scripts and wonderful shows! We used to listen to them on Sundays on British Forces Radio whilst stationed abroad. My brothers and I could recite great swathes of the Goon Show - remember Tales of Old Dartmoor where the towed the prison away leaving a cunningly disguised cardboard replica? Or the dance of the seven army surplus blankets? I must stop . could go on for hours! Much loved memories of my childhood

Greyduster Wed 24-Apr-19 14:59:10

I loved the episode called Tales of Mens Shirts where the German High Command invented a secret weapon - a solution that made shirt tails explode whe;subjected to the heat of the body. They called it Gerschertzer. Major Dennis Bloodnok fell foul of it as I remember! (He seemed to fall foul of everything). He, along with Moriarty and Grytpype-Thynne, was my favourite character!

NanKate Wed 24-Apr-19 21:50:20

Right hand up a bit - The Navy Lark ? Those were the days.

Hattie Jacques as Miss Pugh was great.

The Clitheroe Kid, such memories.

Resurgam123 Mon 16-Sep-19 22:29:45

Oh yes that was a long time ago.
The Navy Lark was good. When our children were about 10 and 12, (now 40 and 42. ) we had driven up home from the south of France listening to a tape of that a British comedy was very sureal. I doubt they might be not get that.

Lilypops Tue 17-Sep-19 08:04:27

Hello. " , I,m Julian and this is my friend Sandy" wonderful memories listening to Sunday radio , Round The Horne , Navy Lark , and Two way Family Favourites , as children we had our Sunday roast dinner listening to the radio , I gate today,s "alternative comedians , not a bit funny ,

Blinko Tue 17-Sep-19 08:13:03

I was a forces child. When we were stationed in BAOR, Two Way Family Favourites was a real link to home. At Christmas, the beeb would do Three Way Family Favourites, linking to Cyprus or Hong Kong. It seemed a miracle of technology in those days.

EllanVannin Tue 17-Sep-19 08:16:11

This and the Goon Show on the radio-----really funny, lovely memories of mum's Sunday dinner and listening to her chopping mint.

100 Best Tunes, anyone ? Bliss ! Bring 'em back, the world would be a lot calmer.

midgey Tue 17-Sep-19 09:44:54

Gypsy to Ken Horne, ‘ Cross my palm with silver, I will reveal all’ . ‘Here’s tuppence, just take your coat off’. Makes me laugh out loud even now?

Beckett Tue 17-Sep-19 10:30:37

I don't think the Julian and Sandy sketches would be allowed today - there would be howls of disapproval for being offensive!

Dinahmo Fri 01-Nov-19 18:21:55

Some years ago we saw an updated version of Round the Horne in Norwich and the actor who played Kenneth Williams had him down to a T. As we walked past the stage door the actor came out and started chatting to , still in his KW persona. We had tapes of all the shows but sadly they were destroyed when our house was struck by lightning. You can still here them on Radio 4 Extra sometimes.

lemongrove Fri 01-Nov-19 18:31:41

We have them all on cd ( bought on Amazon) all the sketches from popular comedy shows.Once had to stop the car we were laughing so much.