Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Carole King’s Tapestry

(40 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 05-Feb-21 16:37:26

Tapestry is 50 years old, it was released on February 10th 1971- I’m 67 and this has been the one album that I've always had a copy of. I went to see her perform in Hyde Park four years ago and the music sounded as good as it did when it first came out.

Carole King, James Taylor and Carly Simon were such a talented bunch.

Anyone else a fan?

grannyactivist Sat 06-Feb-21 00:57:29

janeainsworth

^I had a flat on Barlow Moor Road as a student in the late 60s, and worked at Withington hospital for a while in the 70s, renting a bed sit off Burton Road^
Grandmajet In the late 60's I lived in Withington on Oak Road which connected Wilmslow Road with Palatine Road, just behind Christie's Hospital, so not that far from you.

I still have my vinyl copy of Tapestry smile

Small world.

We had our wedding reception at the Nazarene Theological College on Dene Road in Didsbury in 1986.

A few years later my sons were born in Withington Hospital and shortly afterwards they closed the maternity department.

I briefly did some consultancy work at Lorna Lodge on Barlowmoor Road - it was supported housing for single mothers at the time.

Gwyneth Fri 05-Feb-21 22:51:28

What a wonderful story and memory to keep grannyactivist so enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing it.

glammanana Fri 05-Feb-21 22:44:35

I have always had a copy of Tapestry which I listen to on a regular basis I just love it, the other one is Jesus Christ Superstar another album of great songs which I will never get tired of,fabulous memories.

janeainsworth Fri 05-Feb-21 21:36:36

Fond memories, I love Manchester
Me too Grandmajet and Chewbacca
I’ve come over all homesick/nostalgic now ??

Curlywhirly Fri 05-Feb-21 20:55:36

Wow, Granyactivist just wow! James Taylor is one of my 1970s idols, he has the most amazing voice and I have most of his LPs and CDs. Our son had student accommodation in Withington and we have always had a soft spot for Manchester. I finally got to see him live when we went to his concert at the MEN about 4 years ago; his voice was still amazing.

Casdon Fri 05-Feb-21 20:25:03

Gosh it’s a small world! No Carole King relevance, but I worked at Withington too, in the early eighties. For most of the time I was in a flat on Sandhurst Avenue, which is also off Burton Road. I loved Manchester, so full of life.

Missfoodlove Fri 05-Feb-21 20:24:06

GrannyActavist Thank you! I’m full of good food and wine and just remembered I have this saved on my planner.
I’m going to re watch now.
I cannot think of a better mood enhancer.
?❤️?

grandmajet Fri 05-Feb-21 20:14:14

Fond memories, I love Manchester.

Chewbacca Fri 05-Feb-21 19:59:24

janeainsworth

^I had a flat on Barlow Moor Road as a student in the late 60s, and worked at Withington hospital for a while in the 70s, renting a bed sit off Burton Road^
Grandmajet In the late 60's I lived in Withington on Oak Road which connected Wilmslow Road with Palatine Road, just behind Christie's Hospital, so not that far from you.

And I'm not far away from there either! grin

petunia Fri 05-Feb-21 19:57:20

Granny activist-wow....WOW. How fabulous .something to treasure forever. How lovely!

janeainsworth Fri 05-Feb-21 18:27:36

I had a flat on Barlow Moor Road as a student in the late 60s, and worked at Withington hospital for a while in the 70s, renting a bed sit off Burton Road

Doodledog Fri 05-Feb-21 18:01:32

What a lovely story smile.

I am also a fan of all three (Carole King, Carly Simon and James Taylor), and love the Tapestry album.

Callistemon Fri 05-Feb-21 18:01:19

What a wonderful story, Grannyactivist!
Thank you for sharing it smile

TerriBull Fri 05-Feb-21 17:59:37

Yes loved that album, she wrote a lot for other people and from a very young age. A very talented singer song writer.

Grannyactivist wow! I also had the Sweet Baby James album around the same time and of course loved Your So Vain and the speculation as to whether the subject of that song was Mick Jagger or Warren Beatty or neither!

Puzzler61 Fri 05-Feb-21 17:58:59

An amazing story grannyactivist I enjoyed learning your connection with these super stars I bet you couldn’t believe your eyes. You must have given Sally a wonderful time for her to come and look you up afterwards, you should be very proud.

grannyactivist Fri 05-Feb-21 17:57:05

grandmajet on that occasion I was actually booked on a residential training course, which I could easily have got out of, but my sister was a HUGE James Taylor fan so I sent her in my stead. My husband really enjoyed the evening (front row seats) and said he’d thoroughly enjoyed chatting to him and my sister dined off the story for years! ?

Much as being at a James Taylor concert would have been nice, for me it was far better to have spent the evening before with Sally and meeting her brother, Ben. She was incredibly mature and a fabulous storyteller. She shared a story about a missing fish that still makes me smile when I remember it. She kept in touch for quite a while after staying with us.

Blossoming Fri 05-Feb-21 17:40:48

My favourite album.

grandmajet Fri 05-Feb-21 17:38:48

What a story! Thank you for sharing it with us! Did you meet James Taylor?
Didsbury is indeed a lovely place. I had a flat on Barlow Moor Road as a student in the late 60s, and worked at Withington hospital for a while in the 70s, renting a bed sit off Burton Road.

grannyactivist Fri 05-Feb-21 17:23:21

In the mid 80s I had just remarried and was living in Didsbury, a leafy (slightly posh) Manchester suburb. My eldest daughter went to the local comprehensive school that had a dynamic headmaster and he arranged for a school exchange trip to Martha’s Island in America. A very unusual destination for a school exchange.

We had to fill in a form about our background, family make up, lifestyle etc. that was used to ‘match’ the children to their exchange family and then our children were to visit America and the host’s child would, in turn, visit us.

The first we knew of the agreed match was a note from the school informing us that we would be hosting a girl named Sally Taylor. Then we received a hand written letter from the host, Sally’s mum, a week or so before the exchange was to take place.

I read the letter, re-read it, read it again and then passed it to my husband and asked him to confirm that the signature really did say........Carly Simon. Now, my husband is ten years younger than me and at first could not understand why I almost went into a swoon. I had to piece it together for him that Sally Taylor must be the daughter of THE James Taylor and THE Carly Simon.

So yes, my daughter did stay with both Carly Simon and separately, her ex husband James Taylor on Martha’s Vineyard and then their lovely daughter, Sally, came to stay with us. Subsequently James Taylor did a tour in the UK and Sally and her brother Ben literally turned up on the doorstep with a personal invitation to attend his concert as his guests and spend time in the Green room afterwards. Sally and Ben were (I’m sure still are) really exceptional human beings - children any parent would be proud of.

How on earth we were matched with that family I have never been able to fathom. We lived in an area where a lot of the children lived in huge houses and had wealthy families, unlike us who were as poor as church mice and squeezed (with a homeless lodger) into a 3 bed semi.

So, that’s my James Taylor/Carly Simon tale. Couldn’t make it up it’s so bizarre.

baubles Fri 05-Feb-21 17:06:32

Yes Tapestry is an old favourite of mine. It brings back memories of a happy time. smile

Riverwalk Fri 05-Feb-21 17:05:18

I too was at Hyde Park - what a great day! We had a thread about it at the time.

Tapestry at 50 - where does the time go?

Atqui Fri 05-Feb-21 16:58:44

Love to know grannyactivist. I didn’t get to Hyde Park but saw the musical Beautiful. Amazing . Not sure if she wins over Carly Simon- probably equal all time favourites.

Juliet27 Fri 05-Feb-21 16:54:25

Yes, I've still got the album and I'm a James Taylor fan too.

Visgir1 Fri 05-Feb-21 16:52:34

Gagajo... Me too amazing!

grandmajet Fri 05-Feb-21 16:52:15

Ooh yes please!