Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Virtual cruise from Venice along the river Po with the option to learn some Italian

(268 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

StarDreamer Sun 07-Aug-22 14:54:23

Virtual cruise from Venice along the river Po with the option to learn some Italian

The suggested format is that this is a discussion thread about the places along the route, links allowed, together with the option of synchronised learning of some of the Italian language using the free Duolingo language course. Sort of like a treasure hunt for information, yet no teams, people sharing what they find.

LINK > www.duolingo.com/courses

Participants using Duolingo will need to register, free, with Duolingo.

Registering with Duolingo does, by default, make one's profile public. On a computer, one can make it private by clicking on the blue disc at top right, choosing Settings, scrolling down and then choosing Privacy Settings, then unchecking the checkbox that is labelled Make my profile public.

StarDreamer Sun 07-Aug-22 15:09:44

The present plan is to gather virtually in Venice from around the afternoon of Friday 12 August 2022 and explore Venice.

The present plan is to depart from Venice on Monday 15 August 2022 to proceed to the river Po.

Participants wishing to participate in the learning of some Italian may like to consider obtaining a notebook (A5 size is suggested) and a pen, though that is an option and not compulsary.

I have found that one can reset a Duolingo course by removing it from one's profile and then readding it, whereupon one gets a fresh copy. So if anyone wants to start the Duolingo course early then the course can be reset if that is what the person chooses to do.

I suggest that we should proceed with the Italian learning at a gentle pace, not rushing, mixing the learning of Italian in with the searching and sharing of what we find about the places along the route.

ixion Sun 07-Aug-22 15:44:34

Is this the Vegan Cruise, please?
I'm sorry but I am getting muddled up.
If I can't sort this out, I don't think I'd stand a chance with DuoLingo after all☹️

Joseanne Sun 07-Aug-22 15:49:13

Erm, something like "non vedo l'ora". I'm looking forward to it.
But how will I know if that is correct ??? It sounds like a negative for a positive statement. Help, is there a teacher accompanying us?

Lucca Sun 07-Aug-22 16:16:19

You are correct

Lucca Sun 07-Aug-22 16:19:05

Literally.. I can’t =can’t see the time. So I’m can’t wait for the time this thing starts.

Non vedo l’ora di andare in Italia

Lucca Sun 07-Aug-22 16:19:48

Sorry ..garbled first line. I don’t/can’t

Joseanne Sun 07-Aug-22 16:21:32

Gracie.
That makes sense.

Shirley48 Sun 07-Aug-22 16:22:12

Participants wishing to participate in the learning of some Italian may like to consider obtaining a notebook (A5 size is suggested) and a pen, though that is an option and not compulsary.

Why A5?

ixion Sun 07-Aug-22 16:42:32

Joseanne

Gracie.
That makes sense.

I don't see a post from Gracie??

Joseanne Sun 07-Aug-22 16:44:59

grin
How about Millie Gracie - 2 in one?

Chewbacca Sun 07-Aug-22 16:47:13

I'm in; I really did enjoy the last virtual cruise and would love to have a chance to brush up on my rusty "Italian for beginners".

MissAdventure Sun 07-Aug-22 16:57:06

I can barely manage english these days, but I shall be watching. smile

MawtheMerrier Sun 07-Aug-22 16:57:44

Shirley48

^Participants wishing to participate in the learning of some Italian may like to consider obtaining a notebook (A5 size is suggested) and a pen, though that is an option and not compulsary^.

Why A5?

Personally I prefer A4 spiral bound books - pack of 3 or 4 from the long river country , not wishing to line Tesco’s pockets as other suppliers are available.
Especially useful during the pandemic for all my Zoom courses and meetings - one for book club, one for Art History, one for Arts Society meetings and lectures, one for Opera Plus.
The different covers made identifying the right notebook at short notice very easy.
(A writing implement goes without saying )

Prentice Sun 07-Aug-22 17:04:32

have found many useful Italian phrases on the Inspector Montalbano tv show. I did not know any Italian at all until then.

ixion Sun 07-Aug-22 17:07:51

Prentice

have found many useful Italian phrases on the Inspector Montalbano tv show. I did not know any Italian at all until then.

Oh yes!
We have acquired thus far Allora and DNA?

Shirley48 Sun 07-Aug-22 17:08:40

MawtheMerrier

Shirley48

Why A5?

Personally I prefer A4 spiral bound books - pack of 3 or 4 from the long river country , not wishing to line Tesco’s pockets as other suppliers are available.
Especially useful during the pandemic for all my Zoom courses and meetings - one for book club, one for Art History, one for Arts Society meetings and lectures, one for Opera Plus.
The different covers made identifying the right notebook at short notice very easy.
(A writing implement goes without saying )

Yes, of course you are right - I hadn’t factored in identifying the notebooks at short notice. I don’t think I’m cut out for this sort of disciplined holiday schedule.

Prentice Sun 07-Aug-22 17:12:06

permesso?

Prentice Sun 07-Aug-22 17:12:55

Si, I am on board now.

Joseanne Sun 07-Aug-22 17:13:36

But A4 is too big to fit into my Gucci shoulder bag Maw.

Shirley48 Sun 07-Aug-22 17:14:56

Joseanne

But A4 is too big to fit into my Gucci shoulder bag Maw.

A bigger Gucci bag is clearly required - I expect there will be shopping opportunities on this trip

MawtheMerrier Sun 07-Aug-22 17:18:43

Pronto!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=js74ASrRbxM

MawtheMerrier Sun 07-Aug-22 17:20:31

Just to get us in the mood!

Lucca Sun 07-Aug-22 18:26:52

Joseanne

Gracie.
That makes sense.

Grazie…

Or grazie mille.

The “z” being pronounced as it is in pizza.

Sorry. Can’t help it. Déformation professionnelle

Lucca Sun 07-Aug-22 18:29:49

Enjoy …

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzQuuoKXVq0