Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Memories of the Swinging Sixties

(126 Posts)
NanaDana Sat 03-Jun-23 07:19:30

Listening to Tony Blackburn and his "Sounds of the Sixties" show on a Saturday morning is something of a ritual for me. Great times. Many of the songs take me right back to sweet memories, one of which is "I'm into Something Good", released by Herman's Hermits back in 1964. Hear that and I'm back there at the school dance with my Biba dress, my Courreges boots and my then boyfriend. Wonder what happened to him? Do you have a particular song which conjures up a moment in time? Do tell.

HelterSkelter1 Sat 03-Jun-23 07:39:26

My memory is also 1964 and The Honeycombs had released "Have I the Right to Hold You" which I played on my transistor radio in a leather case which I hung from my bicycle handle bars while I cycled at 6.00 am through farmland to my Saturday job at the local small airport. The summer was sunny every day thank goodness. Every summer was sunny in the 60s!!! I was 15 and full of beans.

Mizuna Sat 03-Jun-23 07:42:56

My boyfriend and I saw Sandie Shaw perform at a small nightclub near Penzance. I can't remember what she sang but her hair was glossy, her feet bare and her skirt, like mine, ever so short. Magical. I married the boyfriend.

Kim19 Sat 03-Jun-23 07:45:52

Yes, I was such a square and loved singers like David Whitfield and Malcolm Vaughan along with many others. It was such a good time for fun and interesting music. Happy days indeed!

kittylester Sat 03-Jun-23 07:48:36

Loads and loads! The best times were probably going to see all the touring groups with my friends.

Ashcombe Sat 03-Jun-23 08:02:56

Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harem in June, 1967. recalls when I went to stay at my sister's flat in London for her 21st birthday party. I was 17 and felt very grown up!! 🎶😎🎂

BlueBelle Sat 03-Jun-23 08:06:39

My memories are of a local hotel on the seafront where all these groups, starting out, performed between 62/64 I saw them all including Hermens hermits, Rolling Stones, Freddy and the dreamers, Gerry and the pacemakers, marianne Faithful, Miguel 5, searchers, Little Richard, Hollies I could go on and on

The hotel is long since pulled down and no one knows what
I m talking about

Mollygo Sat 03-Jun-23 08:08:45

Pete Sarstedt’s Where do you go to my lovely-and I’m whisked straight back to holidays on Noirmoutier in the early 2000. It was on a CD together with He ain’t heavy by the Hollies that we listened to on the journey.

silverlining48 Sat 03-Jun-23 08:10:04

Oh I liked David Whitfield too, probably because my mum did. He was one of the last of the 50s crooners.
Then came rock and roll and music changed It was so exciting.
Hard to choose but Pretty Woman is a song which brings back happy memories.
There are many others. I might forget what I did yesterday but can still sing along )badly) with them all.

Chardy Sat 03-Jun-23 08:35:04

Though just a couple of years too young to be a hippie, I find the California sound of Scott McKenzie (San Francisco), and Mamas & Papas evoke my youth.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 03-Jun-23 09:42:49

So many but if I had to choose one which evokes a special memory it would probably be My Girl by Otis Redding.

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Jun-23 10:09:24

1963 and going to see Chris Montez and Tommy Roe in concert.

One of the support groups consisted of four young men from Liverpool who later became one of the most famous groups ever.

Love Me Do - yes, we did back then!

biglouis Sat 03-Jun-23 10:14:06

The song which reminds me of the 60s is "Runaway". I used to follow Del Shannon around the country whenever he came over from the USA. I met him several times. I also met Roy Orbison, Gene Pitney and all the Liverpool groups. I was a very keen concert goer.

MiniMoon Sat 03-Jun-23 11:08:21

The summer of '68', my family were on holiday with our cousins in Scarborough. My cousin and I were both 16. We got all dolled up, best mini dresses, hair and make-up and presented ourselves at the door of the best nightclub in town. We thought we looked every inch 21. The doorman wasn't fooled, he wouldn't let us in. Oh the disappointment.

MiniMoon Sat 03-Jun-23 11:16:08

The song I remember from that Summer was Young Girl by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. I worked on the sweets counter at Woolworths on a Saturday and the girl who sold the records played it incessantly. I still know all the words!

Georgesgran Sat 03-Jun-23 12:29:58

Going to my first concert with a school friend - The Small Faces, at Newcastle City Hall. Martha Reeves and the Vandellas were the support act.

San Francisco does bring back such memories - I’m having that and Time in a Bottle at my funeral,

Anniebach Sat 03-Jun-23 12:37:39

Simon & Garfunkel

glammanana Sat 03-Jun-23 12:38:22

Most nights where spent in The Caven in Matthew Street listening to all the up & coming groups including Liverpool's best export (The Beatles) When the Searchers where playing I used to get a lift home from Mike Pinder who lived by my parents or one of The Pacemakers who went out with my friend,I just loved the 60's nothing since has compared to that time.

JackyB Sat 03-Jun-23 12:46:11

1969. I was in the 4th form and was allowed to go to a disco at a church hall. My crush, whom I'd been mad about since the first form was there but we were both too shy to talk to each other. We never did get together, which I regret to this day. The song I remember playing was Norman Greenbaum "Spirit in the Sky".

And then there was the carefree summer of 1972 after we had taken our A levels. Rod Stewart and Maggie Mae.

I do remember all the words from those 60s songs by Hermann's Hermits, the Tremeloes, Dave Dee etc etc, Manfred Mann, the Beatles, et al.

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Jun-23 12:57:28

I remember seeing Manfred Mann walking across Trafalgar Square with his girlfriend or wife and thinking how pale and thin he was. I preferred the lovely Paul Jones!

Saw The Hollies, The Tremeloes and also The Swinging Blue Jeans (had to 'caretake' them at a Rag Ball).

Saw Peter and Gordon live but they just couldn't sing live, they were completely out of tune, I could have done better 😁

joannapiano Sat 03-Jun-23 13:00:28

In 1965 I was 16 and had a holiday job in a record shop. We sold so many copies of “Go Now” by the Moody Blues that we just kept them in a big box under the counter so they were ready to sell to all the teens who came in. I played it over the loudspeaker that was outside the shop.

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Jun-23 13:05:41

joannapiano

In 1965 I was 16 and had a holiday job in a record shop. We sold so many copies of “Go Now” by the Moody Blues that we just kept them in a big box under the counter so they were ready to sell to all the teens who came in. I played it over the loudspeaker that was outside the shop.

We used to be able to go into the local music shop and listen to the latest releases in little booths made out of plywood!

Adam Faith - What do you Want?

The tracks seemed so much shorter in the 1960s.

silverlining48 Sat 03-Jun-23 13:17:43

Mini moon I always thought ‘young girl’ was creepy. Even then.

Freya5 Sat 03-Jun-23 13:41:06

All my children brought up on sixties music, and was lovely to hear my Grandaughter singing Summer Holiday to my great granddaughter yesterday. They live on, Boom Radio is a favourite of mine.

margauxbordeaux Sat 03-Jun-23 13:49:11

Ashcombe,

Though I was born in the later 1960´s, I well remember the extraordinary song "Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harem" and had seen them in the 1980s in Denmark.

Awesome .. I even cried when I read that the lead singer had passed on.