Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Low-carb support thread 2016 Part 2

(826 Posts)
Mamie Mon 08-Aug-16 11:31:57

The thread is intended to support people who are already on the diet or want to start losing weight / gaining health benefits by low-carbing.
Here is a simple explanation of this way of eating and how it works.
www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
You do not have to count calories, weigh anything, exercise furiously or feel hungry.
You do have to cut out sugar and sugar-substitutes and avoid starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice and pasta.
You need to eat lots of vegetables (especially those grown above ground) and protein which can be cheese, eggs, meat, fish etc. You can eat olive oil, butter and other natural fats. You can eat limited amounts of fruit, dark chocolate and some alcoholic drinks in moderation.
You need to avoid anything labelled low-fat and most processed food and drink.
Link to previous thread here
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1222065-A-new-low-carb-support-thread-for-2016
Welcome aboard!

Mamie Mon 08-Aug-16 11:41:31

Might be good for existing low-carbers to check in?
I think we have: Anya, BBbevan, Ffinnochio, NanKate, Lazigirl, wend50, Tizliz, Shysal, Grannyknot, Pippa000, Cathy04, Izabella and....
Huge apologies to anyone I have missed, please add your names!

BBbevan Mon 08-Aug-16 11:57:19

Checking in, Hallo everyone

ffinnochio Mon 08-Aug-16 12:44:42

I've started buying a small box of veg. from a young local man who sells out of his kitchen. He's just set himself up so needs all the support he can get. It's all organic and remarkably inexpensive. He grows very unusual varieties. For lunch I spiralized uncooked 'raspberry ripple' beetroot ( can't think of a better name), tossed in oil and garlic, and roast, covered for a while. Crunchy & delicious with other salad stuff.

Hi all ...

Pippa000 Mon 08-Aug-16 16:32:24

Thanks Mamie for starting a new thread. I have just had DS, DiL and two GC for a two week holiday, with all the running around, days in the pool at home or on the beach, cooking etc I managed to stick to the diet, well mainly, and still loose 9 lbs!! Back to UK tomorrow for a couple of months having had enough of 40 degrees temperatures and humidity of 80-90 %, but I hear Wales is in for heatwave hmm

NanKate Mon 08-Aug-16 18:23:10

Just checking in Mamie

shysal Mon 08-Aug-16 18:36:35

Thanks for starting the new thread, mamie. I don't check in often, but always read the thread. Your cooking efforts are all far superior to mine, as I only like basic foods and am not keen on spices. However, LCHF fits well.

Anya Mon 08-Aug-16 18:43:13

I'm here too!

Cathy04 Mon 08-Aug-16 19:38:00

Hello everyone.

I have been inspired by the low carb support thread, although I don't post I do read others contributions. At the moment I have been able to eat Runner beans, courgettes, beetroot and Kale from my garden. Also salad leaves and tomatoes each day with salad. I have discovered the Yeo valley greek style yogurt which is delicious. Eating more eggs and gone back to full fat cheese, in moderation.

Not worrying about looking for low-fat foods is very liberating. Although I have to admit to a bit of back sliding where Jersey New potatoes are concerned.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the seasons change. I do love a casserole, carrots,parsnips etc. Also, my fail safe setting of a large green salad wont seem so appetizing. So will be interested in what others eat in the colder months.

Mamie Mon 08-Aug-16 19:49:58

I think the winter months involve a lot of cauliflower mash!
Good to see everyone has landed safely on the new thread. grin

Lazigirl Mon 08-Aug-16 20:04:06

I've landed too. Have we ditched the other thread now? After my disaster with aubergines, I decided to bake courgettes in oven with lemon oil and walnuts and grated Parmesan, was really good, so may try similar with aubergine. Had them with salmon and kale. Kale hmm does anyone know how to make it taste appetising?

merlotgran Mon 08-Aug-16 20:06:00

I'm checking in. We've increased our carb intake a little with home made (breadmaker) spelt bread but we slice and freeze it immediately so we're not tempted to eat more than the occasional slice.

wend50 Mon 08-Aug-16 20:56:26

Lazigirl does your spelt bread rise ok? Ive been experimenting with spelt flour and find it makes a very dense loaf that doesnt rise much sad. Im keen to make a decent loaf to stop me having to look at all the lovely bread in the supermarket!

wend50 Mon 08-Aug-16 20:57:16

sorry that should have been to merlotgran!!

merlotgran Mon 08-Aug-16 21:07:54

I played around with a recipe until I got it just the way I wanted and yes it rises perfectly

250g white spelt flour
250g wholemeal spelt flour
1 sachet easiblend yeast
300 mls warm water
2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tspn salt

Follow the fastbake recipe for a breadmaker with the lightest colour setting.

Makes a 1.5lb loaf

Another reason for freezing it is that it soon goes crumbly and dry but is perfect straight from the freezer.

Anya Mon 08-Aug-16 22:11:01

Curly kale. Chop into bite sized pieces (having first cut out big thingmy in the middle whose name escapes me) toss in a little oil and bake in oven for a few minutes.

Careful not to burn it, it crisps up very quickly. Eat and pretend it's crispy seaweed (which we all know is not in fact seaweed at all).

Black kale. Cut out the thingmy in the middle, and steam lightly them toss in butter and fresh-ground black pepper.

BBbevan Tue 09-Aug-16 05:10:44

We had a Polish salad last evening. Recipe given to me by a friend whose DiL is Polish

1 cooked beetroot
1 small onion
2 eating apples peeled and cored
Chopped gherkins to taste

Finely chop everything and mix together with a large spoonful of mayo. Add two chopped hard boiled eggs I also added a little celery as it was lurking in the fridge.
We ate it with lettuce, watercress and some cold chicken

It was really good

Mamie Tue 09-Aug-16 05:38:58

OH makes spelt bread that rises well.
Use 2/3 of flour (we use French type 110 organic spelt flour which is about 80% wholemeal), add salt and dried active yeast and all of cold water. Make a batter, cover bowl and leave overnight in a coolish place. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, rest of flour, make dough, leave to rise couple of hours, knock back, shape, leave to rise again for hour or so, slash top and make sure oven (a bit of water in oven tray below) is moist, open and spray lightly a couple of times at beginning of bake. 15 mins on fan oven 230° and another 25 or so on 180°.
He makes it in loaf tins, slices and freezes.
We allow ourselves one slice a day for breakfast on maintenance diet!

Anya Tue 09-Aug-16 07:04:08

Anyone else tried this edamame and mung bean pasta? It makes a great substitute for wheat pasta and is gluten free and loaded with fibre and low in carbs and sugar. A packet lasts us for two meals.

Nutritional Information
per Serving
Energy kj723
Energy kcal173
Fat1.8g
of which Saturates0g
Carbohydrates8g
of which Sugars3.5g
Fibre9g
Protein21.5g
Salt0g

I made a tuna pasta (tomatoes, onions, olives, capers and anchovies) from an Italian friend's recipe and served it with this pasta. Verdict from DH 'delicious' - it was so filling I couldn't finish it.

Anya Tue 09-Aug-16 07:05:24

Day 75.....I'm 3/4 way there smile

NanKate Tue 09-Aug-16 07:10:46

Well done Anya Since I gave up alcohol for January I am more aware about drinking and drink less than I did.

Have you tried Fevertree ginger beer, the no added sugar and no sweetener version from Sainsburys ? It is delicious. I still water it down.

Anya Tue 09-Aug-16 07:20:19

I have gone down the ginger trail NanKate but have discovered a very fiery ginger squash which I allow myself most evenings - just the one glass. Sometimes I dilute it with slimline tonic instead and that seems to sharpen the kick even more.

Mamie Tue 09-Aug-16 07:27:53

Just weighing up my chances of finding edamame and mung bean pasta in rural France. grin
The other tragedy of not getting to England this week is that I need horseradish, brinjal pickle and decent balsamic vinegar....

Anya Tue 09-Aug-16 07:30:23

But think of all the other advantages of life in rural France Mamie sunshine

Mamie Tue 09-Aug-16 07:40:24

Indeed. There is a bright golden haze on the meadow this morning....
The vegetable garden beckons.