Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Help, oh expert fit people of Gransnet!

(65 Posts)
Crumble Thu 06-Apr-17 12:13:48

I've decided to take action against my complete laziness. Does anybody have a fitbit or similar? how do they work? Have you found yours effective? Which one would you recommend?
I hate the gym but I have realised I do need to get moving more. Not only the trousers getting tight but I reckon lethargy feeds lethargy.

hildajenniJ Thu 06-Apr-17 13:25:15

I haven't got a fitbit or anything similar, but I have decided to go for a walk of at least 40 minutes duration at least three times a week. A proper walk mind you, not just a gentle stroll. A walk that makes me slightly out of breath, and raises my heart rate. Today I think I will walk round the town, and along by the River Tyne. On Tuesday, I went along a lovely woodland walk which is slightly uphill.
Good luck getting fit! It sounds like we both have a bit of work to do.

joannapiano Thu 06-Apr-17 14:02:06

I don't drive and walk everywhere. Walking is good!
What's a fitbit?

HildaW Thu 06-Apr-17 14:26:04

Do not see the point of a fitbit.....and having seen several programmes on tv about their accuracy.......cannot understand why people bother.....well I think I can they are deemed 'essential' accessories by certain youngsters - its a bit of a fashion with the usual flashing of the 'must have' ones.
Either find some physical activity that you enjoy....anything is better than nothing and find a few kindred spirits. I've found a bit of mild competition works well....just proving that you can get a bit better week on week is great.
I seriously could not be told what to do by a bit of technology!

Teetime Thu 06-Apr-17 14:48:54

www.nhs.uk/livewell/fitness/Pages/Fitnesshome.aspx

Try this link for some reliable information on getting fit.

gettingonabit Thu 06-Apr-17 15:34:11

I think it depends on what you want out of it. I like mine because I'm a bit obsessive and it appeals to me.

Without it, I just walk for around an hour a day and I'm happy with that. It's awkward to set to other exercise, too. I count calories too, which is as easy on MFP or similar.

It IS a bit of a gimmick, really.

Izabella Thu 06-Apr-17 15:38:16

IT depends on your level of fitness now. My advice would be to disregard other people and do what feels right for you. Find something you enjoy doing, otherwise you may not stick at anything. If you can swim, that is a good start. No one bothers how far or fast you go and there are often times for the over 50's in pools. As you get fitter look for a beginners running club. You may be surprised how you improve. Cycling is good if you can find safe tracks off road. Walking groups if you like that sort of thing. The best thing for reducing inches is resistance work rather than aerobics

I run, swim and cycle and work out in the gym too, but realise from reading the various forums on here that I am unusual for a gran. I a also have a huge allotment which keeps me fit too. I would never recommend a fit bit. They do not contain either determination or inner resolve!!

You have taken the first step by realising action is needed. Congratulations. Enjoy your journey.

Maggiemaybe Thu 06-Apr-17 17:03:33

My DS bought me a MiFit, the cheap Chinese version of the Fitbit, and I love it. He has one too and we're both a bit sad crazily competitive and a tad obsessive, so we compare our step counts. We've each got a target of 8,000 a day, and it does spur us on to be more active - I'll hop on my stepper in front of Corrie if I've had a quiet day. He says it's great for keeping track of his running stats, but I think my running days are over - the lower back pain put paid to it. What I really like is the way it tracks my sleep patterns. I was getting into the bad habit of staying up too late, but knowing the number of hours sleep, and deep sleep, I've had every night encourages me to compete against myself to do better.

I suppose it depends what sort of person you are - I'm afraid I need facts and figures to spur me on (as I said, a bit sad). I do regular yogalates sessions at home too to increase my flexibility (using the Louise Solomon dvds), and if I don't keep track of how often I do this and for how long I soon lose interest. Others will just get up and exercise and not need to know the fine details. Whatever works for you.

goldengirl Thu 06-Apr-17 17:11:39

I don't like fitbits and I don't really like exercise but I swim and pootle out for a walk if I feel OK and of course there's my regular weekly Pilates. I do what I think suits me best. I'm certainly not competitive. Whatever you decide on make sure it's something you enjoy; sounds obvious I know!

shysal Thu 06-Apr-17 17:51:23

I can't be bothered to faff around with a Fitbit, but I do have a Tanita 3-axes pedometer, which lives in my pocket at all times to record steps taken walking, doing exercise classes and pottering during the day. I aim for at least 10,000 a day, and it does spur me on to go for another walk later in the day if I haven't clocked up a good total.
Well done for taking the first step towards improving your fitness, I hope you find a way to do it which you enjoy and doesn't feel like a chore.

Azie09 Thu 06-Apr-17 21:35:38

Like Izabella I cycle, run, swim and ride horses and do lots of tai chi. I see the gym as a necessary evil and go at least twice a week. As you get older, it's important to keep your muscles, especially core muscles, strong. Strong muscles protect the joints.

Where I live loads of older people use the local gym, everyone is friendly, there are lots of classes, helpful staff and a cafe. It's worth looking around to find something you like. Often the atmosphere of a class or the teacher is more important than the activity itself.

I couldn't be bothered with a Fitbit but I did join up to an app called My Fitness Pal last year. It's free but you need a smartphone or tablet/computer. It has a massive database of activities and food stuffs and you can set yourself goals and it will remind you of them daily. You fill in a diary and keep a log of your progress. I found it a real spur, I got fitter and lost a bit of weight.

Thebeeb Thu 06-Apr-17 22:34:08

I am not a natural keep fitter but I go to the gym. I like pump classes, total body conditioning, LBT and do the treadmill and aqua occasionally. I also like the coffee and chat as a reward afterwards.

I have an Apple Watch which has pointed out to me that I actually do quite a bit of my steps via general walking round shops, in the house or garden etc. But it is interesting to keep track.

It also tells me if I sit too long which only happens in the evening. When I tells me to stand I walk to the kitchen and get a biscuit.

I am fit but also overweight.

Don't know if this helps or confuses!!

Faye Thu 06-Apr-17 23:28:23

I cycle around three or four days a week. If I don't I notice if I am driving the five hours to visit DD the top of my left leg at the back starts to ache. It's like I seize up if I don't exercise and lose my strength. If I get the chance I also go boogie boarding. I love it, except when a wave knocks me down and me trying to stand up in the surf isn't very elegant.

At this moment I am fitter than I was ten years ago and recently lost a few kilos from smaller portions and cycling. Nice to see my stomach looking trimmer.

nipsmum Fri 07-Apr-17 09:27:43

My advice would be to get a dog, either your own or borrow a friend's. I adopted my gorgeous little Westie 18 months ago and although there is enough garden space for her, I walk her 3 times a day. I get the exercise and her company and it keeps her trim and not overweight too. It's a win win situation.

Gymstagran Fri 07-Apr-17 09:29:23

I seem to be unusual given previous comments but I love my fitbit. I've had it for nearly 2 years now and use it to measure steps, calories in and out, movement and sleep patterns. I do love numbers and it suits me.

Granpammy Fri 07-Apr-17 09:37:20

I was in a similar position 8 months ago, feeling 'older' though actually it was more a case of 'unfit' I now think. I was walking and cycling a bit, but eating too much. I decided I needed to take action like you. I started Nordic Walking and now do this about 5 days a week for an hour, which has been a revelation; it really is more of a work out than normal walking, which surprised me and I love it. Also do Pilates weekly and occasional swimming and cycling. Have also managed to get eating under more control aiming for a healthy low sugar diet. I feel so much better now, physically and mentally. You really can make changes and I'm sure you won't regret it, even though it can be a bit of an effort at first. As others have said do what you like. You are right lethargy breeds lethargy but activity breeds energy. At this time in life I think it is even more important to keep as active as possible.

allatsea Fri 07-Apr-17 09:40:01

I have had a Fitbit for about 2 years now and used it in conjunction with my fitness pal to log food ....It helped me lose 2 stone by motivating me to walk 10k steps minimum per day and monitoring what I was eating. I feel uncomfortable if I don't have a brisk walk each day and it's also good mentally to be out in fresh air! I'd always recommend a Fitbit!!

Marion58 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:43:47

Another very important factor at any age but particularly when older is 'stretching' . The effort put into that after exercise or a warm up is important. This stretching does help to alleviate all sorts of pain and aches brought on or made worse by tight muscles. It does work - taken me a few years to bother to do it but very noticeable if I don't. You can do this at home in between exercise or in place of if you have problems that stop certain activities.

cangran Fri 07-Apr-17 09:51:31

Like Gymstagran I love my Fitbit (although I'm actually using a much cheaper basic version called Mifit since losing my Fitbit on holiday). I find it motivates me to walk more and I like to check the steps I've done every day. It's a very useful tool for me but, of course, it won't be useful for everyone.

Gymstagran Fri 07-Apr-17 09:57:06

Oops Crumble my post wasn't very helpfil. The fitbit is worn like a watch and links to an app, mine on my phone. It measures movement and reports how you are doing on its dashboard. Calories eaten have to be input but most other measurements are determined by the fitbit. You can program whether you want to lose weight how many steps etc

FarNorth Fri 07-Apr-17 09:57:56

" When I tells me to stand I walk to the kitchen and get a biscuit."
Thebeeb grin

FarNorth Fri 07-Apr-17 10:02:24

Do you have to have a smartphone to use a fitbit? Or would a tablet do?

Yorkshiregel Fri 07-Apr-17 10:04:15

My doctor says it is what you put in your mouth that does the damage. So I took myself in hand and now I have lost 11lbs! So happy!

I do not have a fitbit or similar, but I do have a peddle exerciser which is great and must be doing its job. Gets my muscles working in my legs anyway. Too easy to sit and watch tv all day, you really have to drag yourself away from it.

Yorkshiregel Fri 07-Apr-17 10:06:20

For those who do not like going to fit clubs try getting the Slimming World Cook book from The Works on-line shop. That is what I did and there are some great recipies in there and also a day plan. Working for me!

cavaliermum Fri 07-Apr-17 10:07:09

I've got a fitbit and I love it
Aim for 10,000 steps a day ... Don't always get there but it does spur you on to keep going when you find yourself about to slump in the chair
There's loads of them out there
Got mine from John Lewis and they set it up so I was ready to go straight out the store ...
Try it ...
You'll love the motivation....