Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(996 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size ?

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

Oldandverygrey Mon 11-Nov-19 16:57:09

Hi - I pop in now and again, have been at target for 3 months now, still struggle but happy to say am still on plan.

fourormore Mon 11-Nov-19 16:45:32

envyenvyenvyenvyenvyenvy Of course I'm not jealous Shirley - Well done!
Don't ask re the bathroom!!!! grin
The poor man has had an absolute nightmare! The lovely 1970's blue bath has gone but exposed pipework that shouldn't have been going where it was going.
Then the lovely 1970's tiles had to be taken off - easy - except that it turned out that they had been stuck on top of tiles that had probably been there from the 60s or 50s???
When they eventually came off they brought part of the walls with them in several places so, bless him, he had to plaster nearly all of the way round sad
We are winning though and it is now beginning to take shape. We are having panels on the walls which are due to arrive tomorrow so as soon as the floor is sorted they will go on and it will begin to look like a bathroom rather than a bombsite! It will be lovely when it is done though - up until now we had to use a stool to climb into and out of the bath to have a shower and the blue loo and washbasin never ever looked clean. It will be bliss!
Perhaps the scales will work better on the new floor hmm!

Shirleyw Mon 11-Nov-19 06:20:38

Hi girls, would you believe I lost one and a half pounds lol.....very pleased with that .

Westbay In a caravan, we usually stay there when we come down. . I'm from Bridport so come down to visit dear my old mum of 92. ...hasn't a clue who I am though, bless.

How's the bathroom looking fourormore?

fourormore Sun 10-Nov-19 17:59:59

We're still a building site having the bathroom updated - I only hope the scales will behave when we have the new floorboards and floor covering in situ? That will be my excuse if they show a higher figure, but if they show a lower one it will be due to my efforts of course!!! grin

NanKate Sun 10-Nov-19 16:00:32

I’d hang onto those scales Four ?

Onward and downward Mes Amis ?

fourormore Sun 10-Nov-19 10:37:39

Dorset is next door to me so I know how beautiful it is! So glad you both seem to be ok!
Shirley I always have Sunday as 'Sinday' - basically I do my best all through the six days Mon - Sat but I do have treats on a Sunday! I know I couldn't keep going without a little bit of respite!
This is unbelieveable - this morning's weigh-in shows a loss of 0.2lb again!
The germs, hopefully have moved on to someone else, although the cough is hanging about so I am hoping that there won't be a relapse. I have had all sorts of naughties this week so I cannot understand why I've not put on?
Oh the wonders of the scales - we will never understand them!!! gringringrin
Good luck fellow strugglers! flowers

NanKate Wed 06-Nov-19 08:01:11

Welcome back Shirley. I love Dorset. Were you anywhere near Corfe Castle? It is set on a steep hill. I managed to walk half way up DH got to the top. Wonderful views and a good way to use up some calories, however the NT cafe does provide some yummie scones, jam and cream. ?

Shirleyw Wed 06-Nov-19 06:13:06

Hi girls, hope your colds have cleared up.

Well, I been to Dorset for the weekend, I started off well , I even cooked for us in the caravan thinking I wouldn't stray , we always eat out as a rule when we go away ......but....Sunday it went down hill....I shall go to a Saturday weighin rather than today lol.....shall report back then .

NanKate Sun 03-Nov-19 21:27:41

I don’t speak metric either Four I am not sure if my weight sounds lighter in Imperial or Metric ?

I’ve heard from I’m a Pear HQ that the 3 of us maybe allowed 3 days off over Christmas hurray ! ? However, they may get a bit stroppy with us in 2020 if we don’t buckle down pdq.

I put a tot of brandy in my hot lemon, ginger and honey when my cough was at its worst, delicious.

fourormore Sun 03-Nov-19 21:04:17

gringringringringringrin I'm sure I will live live NanKate!
To be honest it was just a very heavy cold but, although I can normally carry on with life whilst fighting a cold, this one appears to have been a stubborn b* and I have been really rough for over a week now. It really sapped all my energy - just like someone had removed every bone from my body!
Today has been better though so I am hoping I am over the worst.
Not sure about the metric measurements hmm My scales can show both but I am used to the number and decimal point of a pound, and to be honest metric means nothing to me!
We're having our bathroom revamped shortly and the chap that is doing the work speaks metric! I need an interpreter! grin Love the idea of Pear HQ!!!

NanKate Sun 03-Nov-19 15:44:02

Sorry you have been so unwell Four. You have permission from I’m a Pear HQ to cut yourself a bit of slack and concentrate on getting better, then you can return to this losing lark. I am sure our other member Shirley will agree.

Now to me and my misdemeanours. I haven’t weighed myself for a fortnight to check on my maintenance programme. I have noticed that I have increased my snacks ? I’m fearing the worst.

Now Shirley how are you progressing, better than us I hope ?

I like your comment Four about us covering the southern half of the UK. Do you think if we measured ourselves metrically it would sound better ? ?

fourormore Sun 03-Nov-19 10:52:28

Bad news comrades - obviously the heavy cold weighs 2lb as I am UP 2lb today angry
I am in Devon by the way so between us we have got most of the southern half of the country covered!
I was expecting trouble from the scales this week to be honest as I have been virtually housebound due to the faint/fall episode, followed by the cold - been a b* to shift and it is still hanging around. Hubby now has it but, of course, his is far worse grin
To make matters worse I haven't been able to visit my 'Golden Oldies' and I know how much they appreciate my visits so guilt is setting in too! I know I shouldn't feel guilty as it would be crazy to risk handing the germs on to them as they are both 96 years old!
Head feels a bit clearer this morning (I did a mammoth inhaling session yesterday that really cracked my head open sad) so hopefully things will improve this week?
Good luck to you both! flowers

NanKate Thu 31-Oct-19 18:48:16

I’ve managed to avoid a small pack of choc drops that my DH has been giving out liberally to the local children for Halloween. I saw him snaffling a bag but as he only weighs about 9 stone 10lbs so I haven’t said anything. ?

NanKate Thu 31-Oct-19 18:43:19

You two are mere babes ?

Shirleyw Thu 31-Oct-19 16:55:15

........meant to say, hope you girls throats clears up quickly.

Shirleyw Thu 31-Oct-19 16:54:01

We must be the smallest Diet Club in the country. ?..... grin
grin grin...I think we are &nankate

I will be 61 this month and I live in Bedfordshire

NanKate Thu 31-Oct-19 14:46:28

I’ve got that throat thing too Four it’s horrid. I do find hot lemon, ginger root and honey helps.

That fall sounds horrid, poor you.

Just out of interest what part of the country do you and Shirley live in? I live in Buckinghamshire near the Berkshire and Oxfordshire borders.

We must be the smallest Diet Club in the country. ?

fourormore Thu 31-Oct-19 10:03:27

What a great message NanKate - we are indeed the stalwarts gringrin grin I'm 69 going on 189 so not much difference in our ages!
Unfortunately my fall wasn't just a fall - I have a 'condition' where for some unknown reason my BP suddenly drops to my boots. I get a few seconds warning and feel it going, and if I don't go to the floor gently myself, the floor will come to me.
Sadly last week I got the warning but it either wasn't long enough or I didn't react quick enough but it was a 'pass out' rather than a fall.
Hubby was very sympathetic as you know!
Usually I am a bit drained for about 24hrs following an episode but this one turned into a horrible throat and now head cold. The GP was no help either, so all in all we're pretty fed up as, of course, hubby got the germs as well, but he is far, far, far worse grin
We will survive though!
Not sure what will happen weight-wise by Sunday as although we don't feel like eating much we are drinking more than ever and I dread to imagine how many calories are in the potions!
I hope all is going well with your efforts this week - like you I am a tortoise and to be honest, I feel like one that's been run over by a truck at the moment haha!!! grin
Good luck to us all! flowers

NanKate Thu 31-Oct-19 08:26:59

Morning Four and Shirley.

So sorry to have just seen you have had a fall Four. I’m glad you seem to be ok now. I did a free online course through Future Learn which was called something like ‘Avoiding falls’ which was meant mostly for us oldies. I am 73 so if you are much younger apologies.

What I like about our trio is that we celebrate or otherwise a loss/gain of half a pound. I’ve never been someone who loses a few pounds at a time. I am more the tortoise than the hare.

Yes I agree our numbers will increase in the New Year but as we are now the official committee of the Onward and Downward Club we are here for the duration. ?

Shirleyw Wed 30-Oct-19 16:14:29

LOL fourormore, sort of thing my husband would say, thinks he s funny....they sound similar sense of humour lol.

Im relieved and pleased to say i have lost half a pound this week. Was very lucky after what i have eaten. I think one reason is that i am on the go a lot so burn off quite a few calories during the day.

I also think this thread is great. It isnt frowned upon if we put on a pound or two. It might pick up in the new year with people starting a healthy eating regime.

fourormore Tue 29-Oct-19 10:44:31

Thanks Shirley - hubby says it was a good job it was my head that hit the chair or I may have done some damage! Men think they're so funny don't they? hmm

No light from GP as these episodes come when they come, and don't come when they don't!!! I knew that but hey ho!
GPs are great at stating the obvious aren't they!

On a lighter note I did ask her about my weight loss or lack of it and she did reassure me that although I am carrying about a stone 'extra to requirements' it isn't life threatening.
Yes, it would be good to lose a bit but not at the expense of getting obsessed so I just have to carry on doing my best.

It is great having this thread where we three musketeers support each other so thanks to you and NanKate flowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowers

Shirleyw Mon 28-Oct-19 18:18:47

Good job the seat was padded fourormore, painful all the same though...hope your ok now.
Had all the family down at the weekend so i don t hold up any hope for my weigh in wednesday lol....

fourormore Sun 27-Oct-19 10:51:31

A modicum of success?
At least it's not another loss of 0.2lbs that has plagued me for weeks hmm
I am happy to report a loss of 0.8lb - obviously I would have liked more but (...here come the excuses!) I had one of my 'turns' on Thursday and although I am used to them, this one was more severe and I have been 'static' for two full days and also today. Usually I get to the ground in time but this time I managed to headbutt a chair on my way down (padded seat thank goodness!) so obviously not good.
I see the GP anyway on Tuesday so hopefully she will shed some light of why Thursday's episode floored me?
The swimming seems to be having some effect so here's hoping!
Good and better luck to my fellow strugglers flowers

NanKate Thu 24-Oct-19 18:49:31

Yes thanks Shirley we went to see Downton the film. I refused the opportunity of an ice-cream ?

Shirleyw Thu 24-Oct-19 16:10:56

Well done girls....I remained the same...better than putting on. ...Call it maintaining LOL....

Many congratulations on your 48th wedding anniversery nankate , hope you and yours had a great day