Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(996 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size ?

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

NanKate Wed 20-Jun-18 12:51:46

I do my diet alone with some guidance from NHS healthy eating. I don’t want anyone to congratulate or commiserate with me except HERE. ?

JaneD3 Fri 22-Jun-18 12:52:08

I’m back! Been a bit busy but I have crossed another stone barrier! Started at X st 1 lb, IYSWIM and now T st 13 lb!
Total 3st 2lb and 13 since I joined you lot! Celebrating with coffee and a piece of cake at Dunelm - couldn’t refuse, they gave me a voucher! blush

Panache Fri 22-Jun-18 15:51:51

I thought I heard Eton mess mentioned too Jane........but I won`t shout it out loud!!!

Overthehills Mon 25-Jun-18 19:21:29

I’ve been in holiday for two and a half weeks and tried to be good (most of the time!). I’ve gained a quarter of a pound. I was really gutted at first but then pulled myself together and thought how much worse it could have been (and has been in the past)! So I’m now looking forward to getting back on track with lots of healthy salads.
Onwards and downwards!

Cherrytree59 Mon 25-Jun-18 19:41:00

I'm also back.
Had a lovely time in Northumberland.
I'm afraid diet went out with the tideblush
Lovely people, Lovely food

Overthehills I'm in awe,
A quarter of a pound?

As yet I hadn't braved the scales
But clothes are extremely tight
I lost 9lbs before hols, feeling a bit peeved with myself
Tomorrow need to get back on track.
Bags of Willpower gratefully received. smile

Onward and downward
(Or upward) sunshine

NanKate Mon 25-Jun-18 21:01:27

Hi folks. So pleased to hear that this Club of ours is still going strong. In the past I would have put on weight on hols and then felt too depressed to do anything about it, but now there are a few of us working together it seems easier.

A quarter of a pound is nothing Overthehills, so well done.

I put on a Tee shirt I had been given as a gift last year and it was too tight then, I tried it this morning and it fits perfectly.

I have just been given the all clear from the Doc that I do not have diabetes, this is another reason to stick to sensible eating as I have got a sort of reprieve and I am hanging on to it.

I go away from Wednesday to Sunday and have decided I will resist the puddings and extras, so that I can have a glass or two of chilled white wine, or Prosecco. A girl has got to enjoy herself you know.

Onward and downward.

merlotgran Mon 25-Jun-18 21:37:44

I've lost another 2lbs so just another three to go and I'll have lost a stone.

I'm finding the whole WeightWatchers regime/ethos really easy.

So glad DD talked me into it because I need the structure and discipline to keep me on track.

NanKate Mon 25-Jun-18 22:51:18

Glad it is working for you Merlot

JaneD3 Tue 26-Jun-18 05:16:45

Overthehills a quarter of a pound is just a wee! Remember a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter!
Everyone is doing well so keep going. I have been ok except for yesterday when I was desperate for sweet things. Nothing diet friendly in the house and sadly let myself down with the weekend’s left overs. Not going near the scales today!

NanKate Tue 26-Jun-18 07:57:33

JaneD3 when I am desperate for something sweet I have an M and S sugar free sweet. They are usually by the tills in little boxes. The butterscotch is good and rhubarb and something. On average I eat two to three a day and they keep me from the real stuff.

Overthehills Tue 26-Jun-18 22:21:28

JaneD haha! Thanks for that!
Great news NanKate.
Well done everybody who has lost and keep going all who haven’t. We’re going to get there - onwards and downwards!

merlotgran Tue 26-Jun-18 22:46:59

I rely on bananas for a bit of an energy boost when I'm flagging as I don't have a sweet tooth.

Last Christmas there was a documentary where Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley were gadding about in French vineyards. I remember the bit where JS said of JL. 'Oh just give her a banana. She eats bananas.'

Bring on the bananas if that's how she looks so good. grin

NanKate Wed 27-Jun-18 07:41:07

Joanna Lumley said in an interview once she kept her slim figure by only eating snacks, not a proper meal. She must be mad, but I have to admit she looks good on it.

Now I have to tell you now I am not much into cooking and I am always looking for quick alternatives. My latest craze is the two boxes of M and S crispy lettuce, tomatoes, ham, boiled egg, and yummie salad cream for £4.00. I have one for lunch and it is very filling and low calorie. I know I could make this up myself for less cash, but I don’t intend to.

Off for a few days on hols so will try to enjoy myself but eat sensibly some of the time eg I won’t have a flake in my 99 ?

fourormore Sun 01-Jul-18 14:29:12

Hi fellow-strugglers!
Just to assure you all that I am still on the planet and still rooting for all of you whether you want more or less on the scales smile
I openly admit that I am well and truly off the wagon at the moment - when DH collapsed just over a month ago and the medics got involved everything turned upside down and obviously my priorities had to change! Amazing how biscuits help at a time like that! sad
We were both disappointed at having to cancel our holiday but better safe than sorry. We have managed to book a 5 day break in the UK tho so will be spoiling ourselves this coming week to make up for not being in Spain!
I have still weighed each Sunday morning and am amazed to see that I have only put on a couple of pounds in spite of the biscuits and cakes that have forced themselves on me in the guise of comfort-food hmm
Life isn't fair is it - I should be tons heavier blush
I will be back I promise but not for a couple of weeks!
Meanwhile keep up the good work all of you! flowers

NanKate Sun 01-Jul-18 20:11:19

Sorry to hear about your DH Fourormore.

I have just returned from a short holiday where on the whole I gave eaten reasonably, except for a choc eclair and on another day a choc choux bun. ?

Out with friends tomorrow night then back to sensible eating.

JaneD3 Wed 04-Jul-18 16:30:43

By Monday I was 6lbs up - a very bad weekend! - but gradually creeping down again. It seems unfair that two or three days of eating what everyone around me is eating has such an effect.

NanKate Wed 04-Jul-18 17:27:09

Hi Jane at least you have come back and told us on the Onward and downward thread. Keep going it will be worth it. I will divulge where I am next week as I am back on the wagon too.

Panache Wed 04-Jul-18 18:06:39

Whilst would you believe it but I am back losing weight and at a little too fast a rate for my liking.............I love my rings.......but they actually are again rolling off my fingers so I have to leave them aside.

I even sneaked a forbdden Italian choc ice today but nothing,just nothing puts on a pound!!
Life is certainly rather unfair!!!

Overthehills Thu 05-Jul-18 14:40:52

It is undeed Panache - if I ate an ice cream I’d put on at least a pound!! But I’ve actually lost two and three quarter pounds since my last weigh in so am feeling motivated. I’m eating lots of salad in this heat and am trying to stay off the cooling drinks. Except for water of course.
Good luck everybody trying to lose and everybody trying to gain!
Onwards and downwards!

NanKate Thu 05-Jul-18 21:21:40

Well done Overthehills keep at it.

I met a friend yesterday and her first words to me were ‘you have lost a lot of weight’ Hurray someone has noticed.

Overthehills Thu 05-Jul-18 22:05:01

Well done NanKate! That’s the sort of encouragement we need! I actually saw somebody today and thought that but didn’t say anything - next time I see her I will!

fourormore Mon 09-Jul-18 13:44:47

This is serious fellow strugglers! My period off the wagon following DH problems has now bitten me in my enlarged b** grin However, it seems that DH isn't concerned about his health (although I do feel that they don't do CT scans for nothing these days!) His denial is amazing and I am more concerned than he is, so I have decided to climb back aboard the wagon! Helping hands very welcome!
184.8lbs yesterday - just under 13st 3lbs which makes me very undertall!!!
(None of us are overweight - we're just undertall grin! My love and sympathies go to our overtall people too!)
It has to be head down and back in the groove!!!
Good luck everyone whichever direction you wish to travel!

humptydumpty Mon 09-Jul-18 13:58:59

Hi folks, sadly need to apply myself to dieting to get rid of my ever-increasing spare tyre sad.

I was thingkin of maybe JanePlan - any experiences? Haven't dared look at the price yet...

NanKate Sat 14-Jul-18 07:11:26

Hi folks maybe now is the time to regroup and get going again as the feeling of losing weight is great (except for you Panache) much better than putting it on. It is all too easy to let our momentum slip and go back to our old ways.

I was half a pound down last Wednesday but now am away on holiday when I know a few chilled glasses of wine will slip down very easily. However will be back on the wagon on my return. I can get into most of my clothes now and refuse to buy a size up.

This is a continual battle. ?

merlotgran Sat 14-Jul-18 14:09:01

I'm still 1lb off losing a stone. The b***er won't shift. Maybe next week when the weather is supposed to cool down a bit I can be more active in the garden instead of watching the tennis!