Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Couch to 5k

(40 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

icbn2802 Mon 16-Jul-18 09:50:34

Not a massive achievement, granted. But for me it is. Took on the 'couch to 5k challenge'. Today was week 1 day 1. A 30 minute session of brisk walking interspersed with jogging. So I did a total of 8 minutes of jogging with Sarah Millican offering words of encouragement every few minutes. Am not quite ready for getting out on public display, so I did it all round my fairly secluded back garden.
I'm pretty hot, sweaty and my face is a lovely shade of 'tomato red'. But I've made a start ?

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 16-Jul-18 10:15:43

If anyone is keen to get started on the Couch to 5K challenge you can find out everything you need to know here: www.gransnet.com/health/couch-to-5k smile

Teetime Mon 16-Jul-18 13:08:46

Well done icbn2802 its great to have a plan. I have just completed the six week walking one to get me back on my feet after surgery.

OldMeg Mon 16-Jul-18 13:12:20

Wish I could. Knackered me knees running marathons when I was younger.

Shirleyw Mon 16-Jul-18 19:39:37

well done icbu.....I'm a start and stopper with c25k , im a starter again, as just joined the gym for the summer offer, i listen to c25k on ipod whilst on treadmill.....i too am not ready running passed the dog walkers yet lol.....

Magsymoo Wed 18-Jul-18 20:48:40

Well done for taking on the 5k challenge icbn. I did an approximation of the c25k a few months ago and now on a good day I can run a 5k non stop on the treadmill in the gym. I aim to do it once a week and run less than that on other days. My ambition now is to do a Parkrun but I've only run in the gym not outdoors yet. When I manage to do the 5k I feel great for the rest of the week, like I've climbed Everest!

Shirleyw Tue 31-Jul-18 03:54:47

How's the c25 k going? ...I'm now on week two, motivation is still young, I just hope I don't wane at all..

PamelaJ1 Tue 31-Jul-18 06:23:17

I downloaded it, I chose Sarah too.
That’s it really! The world is paved with good intentions ?‍♀️?

heatherjw Sat 04-Aug-18 17:31:12

Definitely give parkrun a go, I've done a couple and have walked the majority of it, I took almost an hour first time. They are so encouraging that I've just started the couch to 5k programme to try and get fitter

Shirleyw Tue 07-Aug-18 18:13:25

Am now into week 3.. Can't say I enjoy it, soon as i start it I can't wait till it finishes lol......but I feel good after and pleased I done it......

bmthbelle13 Tue 07-Aug-18 19:25:24

Well done to those doing it. I did it outside in the winter evenings last year so no one could see me!! Now recovering from a broken ankle so no running for me for a while!!

icbn2802 Thu 09-Aug-18 20:26:58

I'm two thirds of the way through week 4. It's going ok. I get up & out pretty early. My neighbours if they should sight me may well think I've taken leave of my senses, jogging albeit rather slowly & very unganely around my obstacle course of a back garden filled with a trampoline, a slide, table & chairs and an array of footballs. But I'm gaining a bit of confidence and am less self conscious. My aim is to one day get out on the street and may be have a go at the local park run. One day at a time. I am enjoying it though and feel so chuffed that I'm actually doing it! Would recommend it to anyone to give it a whirl ?

Shirleyw Fri 17-Aug-18 03:26:41

Well done icbn , I've gone by the bye as pulled my back Wednesday which is a blasted nuisance, such time wasted when cant do much.. .....be back to week one again at some point .....

Annapops Sun 19-Aug-18 09:30:54

Anyone still doing Couch to 5k? Would be great to have some support. I am just about to begin week 2 and absolutely hate running but really want to do this. I would love to eventually be able to breeze along effortlessly, even if it is only for 15 mins. Feeling challenged!

travelsafar Sun 19-Aug-18 10:33:46

I use to do this and i managed to get to the end and continued for a couple of years doing 3miles 3 times per week, I loved loved loved it.It made me feel powerful and fit.
Sadly i had so much trouble with my feet and knees, arthritis,that my GP advised i stopped as the pounding on the pavements was not good for my bonessad.

I really miss my early morning runs when all is quiet and calm and the air fresh and cool. Good luck to all you people doing this exercise.

Magsymoo Mon 20-Aug-18 22:16:22

I am keeping going. I've got to 5k but only running on the treadmill in the gym. I aim to do it once a week and a couple of other days I run 3km with a slight incline. My ambition is to do a Parkrun but I'm a bit scared I won't be able to do it in real life conditions and that I will come in last. I know that sounds vain, but I really don't want to come in last! But I can't put into words how fantastic it makes me feel when I have completed a run. I feel young and fit and really alive.

Annapops Mon 20-Aug-18 22:23:20

Early days for me. I have just started week 2 and the first run was hard. I am determined to keep going as I would love to think one day I will be able to participate in a 5k. I too go to the gym and occasionally run on the treadmill there. Running out in the open is definitely much more of a challenge but I hope to keep trying.

holdingontometeeth Thu 27-Dec-18 17:57:38

How's the 5km run training going icbn2802 ?
Have you ventured out of your back garden yet ?
I assume that Sarah Millican has improved her fitness too.

Shirleyw Fri 28-Dec-18 05:40:00

Weather atm is pretty good to go out for a run.....hope all the c25k runners are doing good....

Annapops Fri 28-Dec-18 08:49:52

After a foot injury in October my running resumed. I now run outside too which is quite an achievement. The couch to 5k plan is complete and I run for 30mins non stop at least 3 times a week. I would never have thought at my age, 63, I would be able to do this. It's an amazing programme to follow if you want to keep fit. Thank you Sarah M.

Shirleyw Tue 12-Feb-19 06:05:48

thats great Annapops, have you been out running in the icy weather we recently had?

Theoddbird Sun 24-Feb-19 10:36:00

I started last Friday. Second day today...it was easier. I am lucky that I live in a marina on my boat and the marina is an island so a lovely walk/run around it. I felt more confident today as I knew I could run...hahahaha. That first one minute run last Friday was scary. I am no light weight by the way. A size 16. Tuesday is my third day as it is my next day off. Looking forward to the lighter evenings so I can do it after work. It says 9 weeks but I am aiming for 12 for the 5k run. How long it takes is not important...

Theoddbird Sun 24-Feb-19 10:36:54

Oh...I forgot to add....I will be 68 at end of March

Magsymoo Fri 01-Mar-19 20:33:45

Keep going Theoddbird. I am the same age as you and started running about a year ago. On a good day I can run for 40 minutes, some days I can hardly put one foot in front of the other! I think every run is a massive achievement and lifts my spirits and confidence enormously. The key is to keep at it 3 times or so a week until it becomes the normal thing to do. Eventually you will start to even look forward to running.

bikergran Fri 01-Mar-19 21:11:36

I have never ever run and if I have sprinted a few yards my heart and lungs feel like they are going to burst!

How do we know/find out if we are first of all "Fit" enough to start running/power walking ? My docs are just too busy for me to make an app to ask them !"can I start running"?

I am overweight etc .