Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

What do you do to keep fit?

(116 Posts)
Heirofthedog Wed 14-Oct-15 12:37:17

I am on a fitness crusade! Well, I'm talking about it anyway. Have signed up to a local yoga class and am hoping I won't be the only one in a baggy tracksuit and not able to touch my toes. What does everyone else do to keep fit? I walk a fair bit (always feel a Sunday roast deserves a pre or post ramble) but that's all. Am def feeling the 'winter layer' settling in but would like to still be fitting into my clothes post Christmas.

MiniMouse Wed 14-Oct-15 12:46:58

If it's anything like the yoga class I go to, then there is a variety of loose/baggy/lycra and I don't think anyone's the slightest bit bothered about appearances!! We're mixed ages - from 23 to 'mature'. As long as we can move, we're happy! I think the only thing we worry about is whether we'll be the one purring gently during the deep meditation wink grin

minimo Wed 14-Oct-15 12:50:44

Always a snorer in my class! Not me (i hope!) Doesn't help that it's got so dark lately. And we're encouraged to take a blanket in for the relaxation at the end so it's very tempting to drift off...

TerriBull Wed 14-Oct-15 12:59:59

I walk for 25 minutes on a treadmill,and do load bearing exercises (bone strengthening apparently (my mum suffered from osteoporosis towards the end of her life) I try to do both of these 5 times a week. I swim occasionally - not well. I walk into town and back, about 20 mins each way and around the shops. Try not to take the car unless I'm doing a heavy shop. I aim for 10,000 steps a day, but don't always manage it. I don't like exercise, but I just feel worse if I don't do anything, under active thyroid on medication, but as discussed on a previous thread a while back, some of us felt synthetic thyroxine doesn't always make a lot of difference as far as energy is concerned. I have done yoga classes in the past, did enjoy them, but sometimes found positions such as "downward dog" a bit onerous due to acid reflux, although as advised by teacher didn't eat anything 2 hours beforehand.

nannynicky Wed 14-Oct-15 13:30:27

Zumba. I was terrible at first but now I have got used to it I have found my coordination has improved and I really enjoy it. In my class the ages range from 20 something to well over 60

OlderNoWiser Wed 14-Oct-15 13:42:00

I do 20-30 minutes of what is called "power walking" these days, i.e. fast enough to work up a sweat and feel the old pump beating faster, at the end of each day, and have recently found myself breaking into a little jog more and more often. Never had a weight problem, as I don't eat when I'm not hungry - really simple and works well - so I am hoping this will keep me reasonably fit. There is a lot of heart disease in my family - father, mother, grandfather all died from it, but then they all smoked, were overweight and did not exercise, so I might just get away with it

grannyqueenie Wed 14-Oct-15 16:24:14

Not nearly enough (she says while sitting on the sofa looking at gransnet grin) but I do enjoy a good walk.

M0nica Wed 14-Oct-15 16:30:03

ONW absolutely agree about not eating if you are not hungry, but I have noticed over the last week as the weather has got colder I am feeling a hungry a lot more than normal.

NotTooOld Wed 14-Oct-15 16:39:56

I play several games of badminton twice a week. On the other days I power walk for 30-40 minutes (boring but works and cheaper than the gym).

tanith Wed 14-Oct-15 16:45:42

I walk for half an hour 4/5 days but also walk to the local shop or to my daughters and the pool a few times a week too. I swim every Wed for an hour and sometimes another day too.. do a bit of stretching now and then and have been looking to see it there is a Pilates class I can go to.

shysal Wed 14-Oct-15 16:54:46

I walk for an hour early each morning, and aim to take about 14,000 steps daily in total. 4-5 times a week I do a mainstream (not for oldies) exercise class including Body Attack, Body Combat, and Legs, Bums and Tums. However, my body is used to lots of exercise, so to lose weight I always need a change of diet.

Clematisa Wed 14-Oct-15 17:15:36

I get into the garden as much as possible - also helps my light levels... yesterday I was cutting back plants for about 2 or 3 hours and today I emptied geraniums from containers and replanted the containers which took me another couple of hours all in the sunshine, so a bit of exercise and some vitamin D hopefully too.

Teetime Wed 14-Oct-15 17:19:19

Golf Mon Wednesday Friday or gym if the weather is bad
Zumba Gold Tuesday
Walks, housework and gardening at the weekends and I'm still racked with guilt!!!

TriciaF Wed 14-Oct-15 18:13:38

I try to walk at least 30 mins every day, usually pm, with our border collie and her friend, a breton spaniel. They usually remind me.
If it's raining I take an umbrella, and when it's very hot I wait until it cools down in the evening.
There are some lovely walks nearby, always something to stop and look at, and there's so little traffic, the dogs don't need to be on a lead.

Marmark1 Wed 14-Oct-15 19:39:27

I walk a lot,at least an hour every day.

Iam64 Wed 14-Oct-15 20:05:16

It's interesting how many of us walk, I'm another who walks every morning, I aim for an hour but on a busy day may do 40 minutes. I have dogs so an hour for them is minimum really. The dogs are a boon really because I have to go out, whatever the weather. I love the changing seasons and the fact I can do the same walk several times a week but it's different every time.
I returned to yoga after a 15 year gap, last year. I love it and no I can't touch my toes though some in my class can. I started pilates last year, and highly recommend it.

tiggypiro Wed 14-Oct-15 20:10:56

I learnt to swim 3 years ago and managed 34 lengths last week. Pilates once a week too plus riding my bike whenever possible, also gardening and a 3-4 mile walk Sunday morning.
I keep promising myself to have a 20 minute walk everyday too but somehow it never happens.

Thebeeb Thu 15-Oct-15 10:48:57

In a week my classes are
Monday Legs bums and tums
Tuesday Body Pump
Wednesday grandchildren
Thursday Body Conditioning
Friday Body Attack
with the occasional 30 mins on treadmill.
(Not to the standard of the of the younger mums in the class but I do what I can and adapt).
But the real exercise is the chat and the coffee afterwards!! Don't feel guilt then. Wish it made me thinner but its not happened yet. Will keep trying you never know....... Pigs might fly.

Minder Thu 15-Oct-15 11:44:56

I walk with a friend three mornings a week. We walk quickly and have built up to three miles now. I definitely feel better for it and look forward to going. I used to go to the gym but I can't afford it now I'm retired. I prefer walking too.

NotTooOld Thu 15-Oct-15 11:49:45

I've been wondering about Pilates. I play badminton twice a week and walk for 40 mins on the other days, so I'm fairly fit. I had a total hip replacement this year which was very successful but I am a bit stiff in the knees, for example, it is not that easy getting out of the bath. I am 71. Do you think I'd manage Pilates and how would it benefit me? All advice welcome! PS Is it all done on the floor - if so, that could be a problem.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 15-Oct-15 11:53:48

These posts might be slightly more interesting if posters stated their age.

As I might have mentioned before, things change like buggery after seventy.

And how many children have you given birth to?

NotTooOld Thu 15-Oct-15 12:00:15

jings - did you mean me? I did give my age and I have had two children. I don't think I've changed like buggery but am certainly not as lithe as I once was!

Maggiemaybe Thu 15-Oct-15 12:01:25

60 (years old), 3 (children) and not a lot (what I do to keep fit).

I have fads that don't last - I've got all the gear for zumba, running, weights, trampetting, hula-hooping, yogalates etc in the cellar gathering dust and getting in the bloody way. I've also done all the body.... stuff in the past. All of them the best thing since sliced bread when I first got into them.

I walk, aiming for 5k steps a day on average, and usually getting well above that. And I love dancing. But that's it at the moment (till another fad takes my fancy grin).

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 15-Oct-15 12:01:37

No I didn't mean you! hmm It was about all the posts.

Maggiemaybe Thu 15-Oct-15 12:03:28

I've still got Lizzie Webb and Jane Fonda videos as well. smile