Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Weight Watchers

(104 Posts)
Bobsy Fri 20-Jan-17 19:51:03

Hello everyone... my very first post! Joined WW on Wednesday but I'm struggling to understand the programme Must have my Slimming World head on I guess as I've followed that on and off for many years Can anyone give me advice please!

BlueBelle Fri 20-Jan-17 20:11:52

I ve lost a stone and a half with Slimming world but haven't a clue about their programme of syns etc I find the whole programme way too complicated free food speed food extra free food all a load of tosh to make you spend more The only reason I go Is I need the darned discipline of weighing in each week and it's the closest one to my home at least I m not paying now I ve reached my target weight

ginny Fri 20-Jan-17 22:48:21

Sorry don't know about WW. I have lost over 3 1/2 stone so far with SW. I haven't found it complicated and as one eats normal food , not expensive either.
Sorry doesn't help you .

chelseababy Sat 21-Jan-17 09:06:51

Haven't been to ww lately so don't know their latest plan. There's sure to be a support group on facebook or can you log into ww site for help.

BlueBelle Sat 21-Jan-17 09:09:19

I m the opposite Ginny I find it very complicated and I m not thick there are so many acronyms flying around and because it deals with fat as the main issue not calories it takes a lot of getting used to I simply lost weight with filling up on fruit and veg and cutting out all the things I liked like bread ( an odd can of cider I do mean now and then I m not much of a drinker) crisps, jam, butter, chips etc etc but that's not really following their mantra of speed foods free foods etc but I do need the discipline of the weigh in however I ve been in maintenance a few weeks now and find that far harder BUT I know I won't be able to live the rest of my life denying all the things I like so I. m now considering 5.2 to use as a maintenance style
I did WW many years ago and was equally successful at losing what I needed to it's keeping it off what is my problem

ginny Sat 21-Jan-17 09:33:31

Yes , that's the hard bit. So easy to put it on .

shysal Sat 21-Jan-17 09:37:00

Hello and welcome to Gransnet Bobsy flowers. I successfully did WW many years ago. It has probably changed a lot, but I think it still uses a points system. I used to know all the values of my favourite foods. The thing about diets is that they all work if you stick to them!

More recently I have successfully achieved lasting weight loss with intermittent fasting. It is very easy to stick to as there is only ever a day to wait until you can eat whatever you want. The current most popular way of healthy eating on here is low carb. You can read all about it on the Diet Doctor website mentioned in the original post of this thread.
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1228651-Low-carb-support-thread-2016-Part-2?msgid=26093375
I wish you success with your efforts, I am sure you will master WW if you chose to stick with it. Plenty of support can be found on GN.

annodomini Sat 21-Jan-17 10:36:36

In the early 80's I joined WW, lost two stone and was trained as a leader (known as 'lecturer' in those days). It was a lovely part-time job. My picture was on the WW autumn advertisement in 1982 - such fame is transitory! As can weight loss be transitory. We moved north after a couple of years and I stopped going to WW. What a mistake that was. Divorce and various other crises led me down the path of comfort eating and for many years I have been a yo-yo dieter. I knew what I was doing, after all I knew all there was to know about losing weight....except how to motivate myself! Anyway, I think there is light (weight?) at the end of the tunnel. I am DIM - doing it myself - on low carb eating, and have lost over two stone, ironically back at the weight at which I started WW all that time ago. Good luck to everyone who has embarked on a weight-loss programme, but remember that the watchword has to be: stick at it!

Bobsy Sat 04-Feb-17 17:21:43

Thanks for all your replies! Messaged my leader and asked if she would go through the plan with me this Thursday as I just don't understand it. She's happy to do so ? Love Gransnet - what a great little place this is!

chelseababy Tue 25-Apr-17 08:58:47

How are you gettin on at WW Bobsy ? I rd joined last Tuesday so first weigh in tonight. It's all changed since I last went in about 2011 but its the same leader or coach as they are now known. Love the app. If you are still going perhaps we and any others GNs can motivate/console each other?

Welshwife Tue 25-Apr-17 09:33:48

I went to WW 24 years ago when they were doing the portion business and I had a chart telling me how many portions of a given food group I could eat in a day - never a fan of bread that was easy and I could have a jacket potato with plenty of prawns for my tea. After some years - about 8 - I needed to go again but they had changed to the points system and I was eating less than that said I could but not losing weight!
I am trying to use portion size at the moment and although I am eating less and little carbs I am failing dismally ! Help!

annodomini Tue 25-Apr-17 10:08:24

Thirty-odd years ago I lost a couple of stone with WW, felt and looked great - so much so that my photograph appeared in their autumn publicity campaign. I became a leader - 'lecturer', they called us in those days - and loved it. Unfortunately when we moved north I stopped going to classes and since then have again been a see-saw dieter. After six years on steroids which make weight-loss difficult, I have taken myself in hand and lost 2.5 stone on low carbs which I recommend as it doesn't involve points or portion size - simply watch the carbs. It works.

Kim0612 Tue 25-Apr-17 10:25:38

I am joining WW after the bank holiday, it's been a good few years since I last went, I was a Gold Member but have let things slip and unable to do it on my own, like others have mentioned, I need the discipline of being weighed every week. So hopefully by next week all of the Easter chocolate will be gone. It would be good to check in with other WW members on a regular basis to support each other.

chelseababy Tue 25-Apr-17 10:31:16

Kim don't know if its still available but I took out a 3 month membership for about £37. That is for meetings and online.

Kim0612 Tue 25-Apr-17 10:34:20

chelseababy, that sounds like a good offer, I will look into that, did you join online 1st or go to the meeting 1st?

Ilovecheese Tue 25-Apr-17 14:33:23

I don't go to the meeting every week but do enjoy them when I go. This week we are having a sort of buffet. People bringing in ideas for low point bites, either home made or bought. I could not have done it on my own, WW really helps

chelseababy Tue 25-Apr-17 14:52:02

Kim I did it at the meeting. It normally about £21 a month.

Welshwife Tue 25-Apr-17 15:24:12

Experienced WW - what weight loss should you aim for each week?

chelseababy Tue 25-Apr-17 15:45:22

I think they say one to two pounds.

Kim0612 Wed 26-Apr-17 10:21:59

I'll do it in the meeting too then. I think they do say one to two pound which is a healthy weight loss.

Ilovecheese Wed 26-Apr-17 10:37:19

I wouldn't expect 2 pounds every week. Aim for half to one and you wont be disapointed. It does work though!

chelseababy Thu 27-Apr-17 16:42:01

Harrah! First week and I lost 3:pounds. We are on holiday for a week from Saturday so not expecting anything like that at my next weigh in but really pleased. Hope my enthusiasm doesn't wane to soon.

Welshwife Thu 27-Apr-17 17:22:12

I have lost a kilo in a week - 2.2 lbs.

Kim0612 Fri 28-Apr-17 11:26:15

Well done chelseababy & Welshwife,a brilliant start!!

chelseababy Fri 28-Apr-17 12:44:12

When are you joining Kim? Let us know how you get on with Smart Points.