Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Excercise videos

(23 Posts)
tanith Wed 18-Mar-20 07:28:16

I intend to walk every day and I have hand weights and bands here I’ve looked for a 15 min excercise video online I can follow keep coming up with the ones from the USA which I don’t like.
Any recommendations for nice friendly videos I can follow?

MiniMoon Wed 18-Mar-20 10:01:38

I like this one tanith. I know he's American, but the excersises are really good, and you do feel like you've had a workout at the end of the fifteen minutes.
He uses water bottles, but I never have those, so use two tins of beans or soup instead.
youtu.be/TG8wyDnWELM

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Mar-20 11:05:30

tanith great to see you are making the best of things! Do take a look at our strength training page www.gransnet.com/health/strength-training for exercises you can do at home. Happy exercising!

CathTheWise Wed 18-Mar-20 12:00:27

I love Jillian Michaels and her videos, she is American but still her workouts are good!

Nellie098 Wed 18-Mar-20 13:05:30

On Youtube I follow Lesley Sansome's walk a mile nearly every day as they are only 15-20 minute slots but of course you can do several at once. She only has 4 simple steps so no learning a routine. If you walk a lot you may find it a bit slow or boring but it is enough for me.

tanith Wed 18-Mar-20 13:24:04

Thanks everyone I'll take a look

wildswan16 Wed 18-Mar-20 14:08:19

I sometimes use Lesley Sansom's walk a mile video - but I do wish there was a UK one. Surely someone in this country has produced something similar? Nothing against Americans but the accent gets a little tiresome at times !

I have just frozen my gym membership so need some encouragement at home.

mrswoo Wed 18-Mar-20 14:36:27

I did the Walk a Mile video for the first time this morning and must agree Lesley Sansom is a touch irritating. However, I found it cheered me up so I will definitely do it again.
I’m not desperately sporty but love my weekly Zumba Gold session. Anyone know of any online Zumba videos to follow? Uk based would be good.

vegansrock Wed 18-Mar-20 15:04:31

There is a lady on Youtube who does a 15 minute a day pilates and a goos yoga one. Ill try to track down the links

ayse Wed 18-Mar-20 15:14:00

The NHS has some videos, Zumba, Pilates, Yoga. I only found them by accident and haven’t investigated yet. Might be worth a look?

WAHyde Fri 03-Apr-20 06:49:34

I've found a pilates teacher on youtube that does videos for the over 50', 60's and 70's. They have some nice basic exercises, as long as you pick one for beginners, they are well explained and at a nice slow pace. I'm doing it everyday. It's well worth a watch. Here is the link to her pilates for relaxation video www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJy4Az-ca3U

BlueSapphire Fri 03-Apr-20 07:49:20

Joe Wickes Exercises for Seniors on Youtube. There's just one 10 minute lesson which you can repeat every day.

TerriBull Fri 03-Apr-20 08:21:04

I do my on line yoga exercises from a teacher called Shelley Nicole, The Mat Project. A programme designed for those coming to yoga for the first time, returning to it and older people. She doesn't have one of those high pitched screechy, American voices which are quite annoying, her tone is calming and conducive to yoga. I started doing her programme a while ago, long before the isolation began.

Tricia1951 Fri 03-Apr-20 08:31:05

My husband and I have been doing Jenny McClendon's 20 min exercise for beginners and seniors. It works for us combined with a walk over the north downs in the afternoon - we are fortunate to have that on our doorstep.

Maggiemaybe Fri 03-Apr-20 08:41:14

Thank you, GNHQ, for introducing me to Lesley Sansome. I’ve enjoyed her 1, 2 and 3 mile walks over the past couple of weeks. I wish they came with a decent music track, but it’s easy to mute the volume and use your own.

I also like Louise Solomon’s yogalates. I have several of her dvds, but at least one of them is on YouTube. They’re split into two or three sections, so you can do as much or as little as you want.

ExD Fri 03-Apr-20 08:47:08

Ive been trying to find the one that's ballet based as shown on TV called Silver Swans, I believe.

shysal Fri 03-Apr-20 09:55:11

I have these DVDs, bought on line. There may be versions on You Tube.

twinnytwin Fri 03-Apr-20 10:04:32

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had two letters from the NHS yesterday to say that I am At Risk due to the medication I take for auto immune problem, so I'm advised not to go out of the house at all to shop or exercise so these will be very useful.

Nellie098 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:17:19

If you have limited mobility then Senior Fitness with Meredith is good. She does standing and seated exercises, tells you how to breathe properly and I do the band and weight exercises a couple of times a week. For far more of a challenge try Body Project HiiT for beginners, a lot more challenging than Joe Wicks but so rewarding. There is a warm up and cool down which a lot of videos don't have. I tried The girl with the pilates mat 4 short beginners videos yesterday and although I have done pilates for a couple of years found them challenging. Will try out one of her full exercise videos next week. Whatever you are doing I hope you are enjoying feeling fitter and it makes the time go by faster.

Maggiemaybe Fri 03-Apr-20 13:21:37

I tried an NHS one this morning. Wake Up! aerobics for beginners. I found it too intense, and the instructor annoying (too much yadda yadda, as one DGS would say!). Also, it came with subtitles, which were distracting. I switched to another NHS beginners’ aerobics video, which was better, but still a bit much for me at 45 minutes.

I like to ring the changes, but I’m struggling to find much midway between the easier senior videos and the all-out workouts. Something around 30 minutes, preferably with music.

NonnaClaudia Sat 24-Oct-20 11:49:46

Great information here! I can see a lot of youtube video recommendations; I'm wondering if any of you have tried any apps? I've heard downdog yoga and FiiT are good but I wonder if they are suitable for the less young.

2020convert Sat 24-Oct-20 11:59:33

Try
www.facebook.com/VirtualVillageHall?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWfv2KX7hhDnZJRsutOvmWCV6CTtL9wjik3GU1QnGrIHevkBMdXIy8_zjH79-qkTsD9eddnxD5InxH5H1krPRjtl8hNiaeT5OsnUkGa8FpxMe_2ZDNRncUTOYM60Nx58VQyl1ro8AiuAqoIOG2s3DDHQG-_gLkvn2KDdgFAbC3OJ9M0Nv5NqHIg-aI_GSPWa8A&__tn__=-UK-R
If you have Facebook. They have Silver Swans videos, plus a variety of other topics

Bigred18 Sun 25-Oct-20 07:42:08

I use Better 5. Its American but you dont need sound. I have Chair Pilates and one to release the hips. 10 minute sessions for 10 days but you can do as many sessions at a time as you like. You buy the programme - abt $11 and have lifetime use