Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

today i walked round the block [blush]

(102 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 29-Mar-20 11:59:24

Every morning i have been doing 30mins of home exercise, but this morning i really need to blow away the cobwebs. So i risked going for a 30 min walk round the block. It was lovely, i only saw a couple walking their dog and a couple out for a walk too. We all were on the opposite side of the road to each other so no contact. There was a father and his two boys out on their bikes but that was it. I felt really guilty about doing it but also felt better for it. First time out of the house and garden for 7 days and my legs definately need it they had certainly stiffened up with lack of use. The arthritis didnt help either i felt like a duck waddling rather than walking. I am concerned that lack of use will mean i will no longer be able to walk very far once this is all over.

tanith Sun 29-Mar-20 12:13:58

I go for a long walk every day it is allowed and you sound like you were following all the guidelines. I’m sure it’s better to get out if you can it certainly boosts my mood and I feel better for getting some excercise.

CleoPanda Sun 29-Mar-20 12:16:25

Fresh air and a little bit of sun exposture is vital for health and well being. If you are symptom free, getting out and walking is totally recommended. To pick up the virus you’d have to be coughed or sneezed at by someone infected, or touch a recently infected surface. Then you’d have to touch your eyes, nose or mouth. If you go outside, keep 2 metres away from passers by and don’t touch surfaces, you’re OK. You could wear plastic gloves and dispose of Them when home if you thought you may inadvertently touch something.
15 minutes of sunlight exposure will replenish your vitamin D supplies, which in turn strengthen your immune system. The walking will be great exercise and the fresh air will lift your spirits. I also find that the Corona Shuffle dance we do when nearing a passer by makes each person smile and laugh which is also a tonic.
It’s recommended that if possible, everyone gets some exercise outdoors, limited to an hour.

Daddima Sun 29-Mar-20 12:20:28

My plan A is to have a walk later. We’re very rural, so unlikely to meet anybody.

Calendargirl Sun 29-Mar-20 12:21:29

I went out for a walk at 6.30 am, 5.30 yesterday time.

Saw two other people at a distance, and an assistant at Co Op just putting out signage prior to opening.

Was out about half an hour, fine but cold wind.

humptydumpty Sun 29-Mar-20 12:40:37

Surely the government advice is that we are allowed to take exercise once a day, providing we maintain social distancing, isn't that right? - except for people who are being 'shielded' and have to stay indoors - so I don't see the problem?

CathTheWise Mon 30-Mar-20 07:00:24

You so don't have to feel guilty! It is okay unless the walks aren't forbidden (and they are not), so good for you that you made it out of the house!

Riverwalk Mon 30-Mar-20 07:19:00

Yesterday I did an hour's walk - it was freezing in that NE wind!

I was out early at 07.30, so what with the weather and the clocks going forward I almost had the streets of London to myself. smile

Pikachu Mon 30-Mar-20 08:09:00

Don’t feel guilty. This exercise is permitted and even advised, so long as you observed social distancing. Glad it helped mentally and physically xx

Whitewavemark2 Mon 30-Mar-20 08:12:29

I was out at 4am (urgent toilet need for Duncan the Cairn)

2c no wind quite pleasant. Saw no one except about 3 foxes.

Came back had tea and toast

seacliff Mon 30-Mar-20 08:13:50

I am 3 miles from the beach, and I love looking at the sea. I haven't been there for a month or so. We have stayed in now for 13 days, apart from walk up a very isolated lane.

I wondered if I could drive to the cliffs, just park in quiet countryside near, no car park. Not a big popular resort. And have a walk, with gloves on, keeping away from anyone? IF when I got there, I saw lots of cars, I would drive straight home again. I'm assuming this is a NO, just wanted to check with you all?

pollyperkins Mon 30-Mar-20 08:22:15

I don’t understand wearing gloves when you are out walking - unless you are touching things surely it’s unnecessary? Just give your hands a good wash when you come in. (Touching things with gloves on and then touching your face is as bad as doing the same without gloves. )
I don’t have any disposable gloves. I was wearing normal Woolly gloves when I went to the supermarket a week or two ago then washing them when I got home but I’m no longer going to shops anyway.

pollyperkins Mon 30-Mar-20 08:23:36

Sea cliff I can’t see why you shouldn’t although we have been told not to drive anywhere to walk so not sure.

Hetty58 Mon 30-Mar-20 08:28:51

seacliff, I think that would, strictly speaking, count as a non-essential car journey. You'd probably get away with it, though.

My friend does it, saying that, if questioned, she'd be 'exercising on my way to a shopping trip'.

While I (in principle) really don't approve of any bending of the rules, I think it's harmless.

janeainsworth Mon 30-Mar-20 08:39:30

I thought we weren’t supposed to drive anywhere other than to do essential food shopping as infrequently as possible, or go to the doctor or pharmacy.
Having finally managed to do an online shop at 3.30am this morning, one of my more pressing concerns is that the large wicker basket in which I keep ‘empties’ before taking them to the glass recycling bins at our local leisure centre is now overflowing blushwineblush
I’ve assumed that trips to get rid of them is not allowed.

Gingster Mon 30-Mar-20 08:41:48

I too am drawn to the sea , seacliff, and I’m lucky to live above a beach with a minutes walk Down to the briney. It’s so relaxing and peaceful and would do you the world of good. There is a car park a little way along from us and there are several cars parked there each day with people bringing their dogs to the beach. They haven’t been told not to (yet). This is quiet beach with plenty of space to walk, without coming into close distance with others. I would say ,yes, seacliff , go and have your dose of sea air. Enjoy.

Notright Mon 30-Mar-20 10:55:00

Travelsafar. Why do you feel guilty. We are allowed to go out for a walk as long as we keep our distances. Enjoy and Keep Safe.

optimist Mon 30-Mar-20 11:07:06

My friend and her husband went for a walk and sat on a bench to rest. A policeman came and told them they must not sit but should walk home without stopping.

Grannygrumps1 Mon 30-Mar-20 11:08:22

I live at the bottom of a valley with very steep hills either side. So it takes me a good 35-45 mins to walk round the block. The hills are a definite challenge. A friend referred them to a roller coaster ride. So I put my headphones in and sing along to my favourite songs at the the top of my voice. I read somewhere that you should be expanding your lungs. The better your lungs the more chances of getting over the Virus. Sometimes I see someone but more often than not although I live in a heavy populated area. Do you think I’ve frightened everyone else away. Lol

NemosMum Mon 30-Mar-20 11:08:39

You CAN go out of the house unless you have symptoms! For the sake of your physical and mental health, I think you should go out once a day, even if it's only around the block. Go and admire the Spring flowers and listen to the birdsong.

Grannygrumps1 Mon 30-Mar-20 11:11:44

Or my singing.....

Aepgirl Mon 30-Mar-20 11:20:41

I take a walk every day to collect my newspaper, and stroll back. I'm finding I am making the effort to do everything slower and more thoroughly, but would rather not be doing most of it anyway.

Coconut Mon 30-Mar-20 11:25:41

Am fortunate to have just under an acre of land here, so have been power walking up and down, listening to music or doing a mini assault course we made. Yesterday DD and I left the men at home and did an hours walk up thro the woods and fields by our village. The icy winds and hail stones soon made us jog back all the way home.

SillyNanny321 Mon 30-Mar-20 11:29:33

Because of the very brisk wind here right by the sea I havent been out for a couple of days & am noticing it now. Missing my 3 days as a volunteer, something I can do even with disability & cant wait to get back. So did a Litter Pick in my front garden after the last 2days of brisk breeze. Does that count as excercise or can I get out again later? Going to try!

Carooline Mon 30-Mar-20 11:30:27

Seacliff, no we aren't allowed to drive anywhere for exercise.
The problem is that a lot of unthinking people are doing just that, you then end up with a lot of people in the same place and the virus spreads.