Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Has anyone tried Noom dieting app?

(18 Posts)
Whitbygal Sat 27-Mar-21 17:15:39

Hello I’m new on here.
I keep seeing adverts for the Noom dieting app and wondered if anyone on GN had tried it? I need to lose a few pounds (again!) and am interested in different methods of achieving weight loss.
At present I use the My Fitness Pal app on my phone to log calories which is free to use and very easy to navigate.
If you’ve signed up to Noom how successful have you been in achieving your weight loss goals?

CafeAuLait Sat 27-Mar-21 21:48:04

I tried it and quite enjoyed it. I found starting the day with the short readings helped focus me and the app was easy to use. I didn't keep it up though because I don't really like using the phone app and prefer something web based. Overall I would recommend it but, like everything, it will only help if you have the motivation to stick with it properly.

Whitbygal Sun 28-Mar-21 11:45:49

Thank you for that information CafeAuLait.

GlamGran60 Wed 21-Apr-21 03:40:11

I looked at it but decided that I didn't want to count calories. Instead I used Second Nature, a similar, but UK based system. For £40 a month for 3 months I had the support of an online group, a health coach, recipes etc. Loved it and lost a stone which has stayed off. Check it out.

AidenAddery Sat 29-Jan-22 21:35:22

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Hithere Sat 29-Jan-22 21:38:24

The issue with Noom is that it limits you to a very low diet - 1200 calories

NanaAng14 Sun 30-Jan-22 04:56:00

I use Nutracheck , very good app and has a forum for chatting or reading about other users progress , queries or recipes. x

RomonaSanchez87 Fri 18-Mar-22 08:58:41

I have heard of this app but never used it.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 18-Mar-22 09:36:27

DD has several of the Pinch of Noom cook books they are very good.

Honeysuckleberries Fri 18-Mar-22 13:03:12

I use hypnotherapy from a company online called Clearmindshypnotherapy. You choose which ones you want, they email it to you and you save it into your folders and can then listen as often as you like. It’s very effective. They do all sorts from dieting, giving up alcohol, and getting fit. Cost is about £12.50 per package. They are very helpful too.

NotSpaghetti Mon 24-Apr-23 10:53:13

I notice Noom is everywhere now.
Has anyone else tried it?
Thanks.

Foxygloves Mon 24-Apr-23 11:22:27

GrannyGravy13

DD has several of the Pinch of Noom cook books they are very good.

Isn’t that Pinch of Nom and no connection ?

Foxygloves Mon 24-Apr-23 11:24:04

I have looked at most of these Second Nature, Noom etc and they all seem to have one thing in common - to relieve me of pounds - £££££ not lb lb lb

Foxygloves Mon 24-Apr-23 11:32:18

I have this book

NotSpaghetti Mon 24-Apr-23 12:01:35

Yes the book is different.

Was hoping for a really good app. I find groups not my thing (though accept they work for many).

My daughter has been using this noom app for a week and is impressed but aren't we all impressed "early days" - she says it's easy to use.

Would like a more mature perspective.

As regards costs, a charge is OK if I use it - I suppose it's a bit like a gym membership which is cheap if you use it a lot and expensive if you stay at home on your sofa!

Mamissimo Mon 24-Apr-23 12:25:01

Foxygloves I second that - pinch of Nom recipes are good - and nothing to do with Noom - lots easily available on Pinterest

Mamo Mon 01-May-23 23:06:03

I used Noon for about six months and then fell off the wagon. Like all diet plans, it works while you’ve the willpower. In fairness it’s perfectly sensible and tries to address the psychological issues around over eating. I found the daily”coaching sessions” in the American accent/wording very irritating as time went by. The daily weigh in graph is encouraging, and the calorie counting inputting very simple to use. I was steadily losing weight but life got in the way, and I can’t blame Noom for that!

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-May-23 10:41:40

Thanks Mamo - does the app "learn" what you are likely to be eating in the sort-of "predictive text" way?

And does it only log calories or is it "mindful" of your vitamin intake?