Gransnet forums

Education

Silver Surfers

(14 Posts)
Jacey Sat 21-Apr-12 19:59:56

Well I'm not yet silver, but was quite interested by this article ...

uk.news.yahoo.com/spring-online-2012--helping-silver-surfers-realise-their-tech-potential.html

There is a link to this site ...well done Gransnet!! flowers

I shall give your Facebook guide a read smile

glassortwo Sat 21-Apr-12 20:07:55

Everyone should have access to the internet, it brings the world into your front room. and is all the more precious if you cant get out into yourself.

Anagram Sat 21-Apr-12 20:10:07

I so agree, glassortwo. I think it's been a lifeline for a lot of people.

jeni Sat 21-Apr-12 20:57:15

Me definitely!

Charlotta Sat 21-Apr-12 21:26:56

That link about Silver Surfers! I hate pictures where HE is on the computer and SHE is looking on.

Anagram Sat 21-Apr-12 22:29:28

Yes, there do seem to be so many similar ads - unless it's for grandchildren-orientated things and then it's always the woman at the forefront!

FlicketyB Sun 22-Apr-12 14:18:03

Met up with a friend from university recently. She is in her late 60s and for over 30 years she worked in IT, designing control systems in the defence and aeronautical industries, deeply technical IT work. Now retired she does not own a computer of any sort and has only the most basic mobile telephone and sees no reason to change the situation. We communicate by telephone and letter.

Some people very deliberately choose not to use computers.

alanp Wed 02-May-12 08:28:25

Charlotta wrote Quote:
That link about Silver Surfers! I hate pictures where HE is on the computer and SHE is looking on.

Yes but she is teaching him how to use it. smile

Greatnan Wed 02-May-12 09:41:05

I don't think I could live as I do without access to the world and my family and friends through my computer.
I have to admit to not being very good technically, but if I get a problem I just post it on one of my expat forums, or an IT forum, and there is always someone willing to take me through it. I do sometimes have to ask them to explain it without jargon - somebody told me I should be compacting my folders, to which I replied 'What's a folder?'
In my last three years at the Inland Revenue, we went over to computers and ditched all our manual systems. Unfortunately, the offices were burgled and all the chips were stolen and it took six weeks to replace them. We were unable to work on any of the files, which pleased most tax payers unless they were waiting for a rebate! I now have a notebook in which I write any essential passwords, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, etc. just in case I lose the use of my computer for some reason, such as a power failure. My photos are held on Picasa so I can always access them.

Annobel Wed 02-May-12 09:49:16

I keep my password folder on Google documents so that I can access them from family's computers if I'm away. I believe that's secure.

ninathenana Wed 02-May-12 16:20:18

I'm not sure if I would have a computer if it wasn't for my children. DD wanted it initially. She has taught me all I know, (she taught her boss how to use their new work system) which I must add is pretty basic. I can do most things until there is a hitch.

C
Wouldn't be without it now grin

Ariadne Wed 02-May-12 17:31:27

Simply can't imagine life without it! I remember saying to DH, years ago, that we must do this "Internet thing because we don't want to feel out of it as we grow older" and how right I was! School helped a lot; training secondary teachers in all disciplines meant I had to be ahead of the game, so when interactive whiteboards etc. we're on the way, I had to learn first. And I am SO glad I did. I wouldn't be here messing around interacting with my peers otherwise.

And as for the iPad, iPod, Kindle - one need never leave one's sofa, need one?

Ariadne Wed 02-May-12 17:32:42

were (got spelling corrector switched on - so much for the glories of IT, eh?

Butternut Wed 02-May-12 19:11:07

The internet has enriched my life in so many ways. smile