Gransnet forums

Education

Grants for further education

(12 Posts)
susiecb Wed 08-Aug-12 09:45:29

I am wondering about going to university proper. I paid for both my distance learning degrees while at work but am now retired and would like to do another not related to work. Does anyone know of any grants availbe to very mature students?

whitewave Wed 08-Aug-12 12:04:14

Well - when I retired I thought that I would do another degree on art history so signed up for a taster couse with the OU. I did enjoy that but found that as I already had a degree I couldn't get any funding for another which I suppose given the current circumstances is reasonable. I couldn't possibly afford the course fees so gave the idea up which is a bit peevish.

gracesmum Wed 08-Aug-12 12:54:10

DH has been doing an OU History degree over the last 3/4 years (had to withdraw form this year's course because in hospital for 3 months) and was not eligible for funding as he also has a Maths degree. Fees have gone up massively now, but he ws advised (unofficially) that he could possibly apply for a student loan and unless his pension took him over the limit he need never pay it back!! Haven't investigated this, but it was an OU official who suggested it!
Worth looking into?

whitewave Thu 09-Aug-12 11:03:10

Oh thanks for that I wonder if I would have to include DH's pension? Mine would definately be small enough to get a grant I would think

Anagram Thu 09-Aug-12 11:14:30

Wouldn't the grant authorities have to take into account the likelihood of future employment, though?

whitewave Thu 09-Aug-12 11:15:45

Well what if you are retired? and battling on for 70?

Anagram Thu 09-Aug-12 11:19:02

That's what I mean - why would they hand out grants to people who are never going to be able to repay them? (In the current economic climate!)
Just a thought.

gracesmum Thu 09-Aug-12 11:21:50

According to the lady at the OU you are entitled to a student loan which you only pay back when your income goes above a certain figure. I don't see why partners' incomes should be included, they aren't for "young" graduates. Check it out!

Anagram Thu 09-Aug-12 11:40:46

Yes, I think it's only if you apply for separate 'maintenance' grant that household income is taken into account. The student loan isn't affected. But it has to be the first time you've had funding for higher education.

ayse Thu 09-Aug-12 12:42:33

Well, I am doing an OU course at the moment with the 'transitional funding'. I have had to declare our join household income for financial support. My daughter told me about the student loan and she also thinks that I would get it and wouldn't have to pay it back, whatever age. I did phone the OU to ask about it but they didn't seem to know at that point in the game. This is a first degree for me but I think I also read about financial support only being available for a first degree.

susiecb Sun 12-Aug-12 14:48:31

Thank you for your answers I was really thinking about PhD but unless I win the lottery it doesnt look likely so i thought I will take my idea dn try to turn it into a book instead and then if it looks Ok register it for a Phd.

I really loved my time as a student and associate lecturer with the OU but even their fees are very expensive now.

grrrranny Sun 12-Aug-12 15:38:08

susiecb I enjoyed OU as well and would love to do MA/PhD but, like you, would need to win the lottery or live on lentils for years.