Gransnet forums

Education

I'm learning so much!

(32 Posts)
broomsticks Thu 29-Nov-12 15:22:31

Since I retired I've written a book of fairy tales from the older characters viewpoint (funny, I hope). I joined a writing community called Authonomy and it did quite well which gave me confidence. I found a publisher who has published it on kindle (the publisher pays me - traditional publishing but a small new publisher).
Anyone else out there writing? I really recommend Authonomy

jO5 Thu 29-Nov-12 17:26:19

Is this is a little advert, slipped in quietly?

Love from the over-suspicious minded one. smile

jO5 Thu 29-Nov-12 17:26:49

If it is, you owe 'em 30 quid.

Ana Thu 29-Nov-12 17:29:31

Maybe, but it's a free site (I checked!).

JessM Thu 29-Nov-12 17:35:26

Writing, or trying to as we speak. 'Cept I am on GN as you can see.
I have recently returned to my first big interest, biology and written a book about the immune system, published it on Kindle. I am dithering about but this week I am going to put it onto other ebook platforms. And trying to do the "marketing" thing - which is the really hard bit.
Other projects on the go - a short, complementary book about the gut.
Plus polishing up two stories - re-telling of traditional tales like yours. Both of them are rather feminist in theme and I am hoping my GD will enjoy them.
Why did you not put your book directly on Kindle? What is its title please?
I will have a look at Authonomy - most of those writers sites seem to be dominated by fiction writers though.
OK, enough already, I have a few pages to edit.

jO5 Thu 29-Nov-12 17:36:57

Actually, I've had a look and it sounds good.

I might download that Brotherhood of Shades onto my Kindle. 99p.

I don't think you are advertising. Sorry. smile

jO5 Thu 29-Nov-12 17:39:20

jess It's owned by Harper Collins. So it could be a pathway to getting published by them.

I mean really published. In print.

Definitely for fiction.

broomsticks Fri 30-Nov-12 10:18:00

I'm not quite sure how to reply to two people here.
Jess, my book is called Broomsticks, Walking Sticks and Zimmer Frames and is daft fairy tales for older readers. (The royalties go to Age Uk)
I didn't self publish it because, basically, I'm seriously incompetent on the computer.
Joe, well yes, it's a small, embarrassed advert. blush

I'm not advertising Authonomy though. I've just had great fun and there are lots of nice people, but the chance of being actually published by Harper Collins is very, very remote. If you get to the top five you get a publisher's review. It's really good if you treat it as a writers circle. Get crits. for your writing and do the same for others. It's addictive, like this I suspect smile

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 10:41:40

Hope your book does well Broomsticks both for you and for Age UK.

Sounds a good site.

(Don't worry about not knowing how to reply to me. Nothing unusual there!)

Good luck. smile

annodomini Fri 30-Nov-12 11:03:03

Just looked it up on Amazon and decided to purchase immediately - so easy with one-click! It sounds original and entertaining. Will add a review when I finish it. Promise!

broomsticks Fri 30-Nov-12 12:40:00

Sorry, Jo not Joe (my son is Joe, so I typed it by mistake)

Thanks Annodomini. I hope Age Uk won't end up with about 50p! I should have said that the book is available on Amazon. It's on authonomy but that's just for fun. I wonder if I'm getting the hang of this? confused

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 13:14:52

That's ok. grin

broomsticks Fri 30-Nov-12 14:42:37

What do you all write?

annodomini Fri 30-Nov-12 15:07:14

I jointly run a writing group in U3A which is fun and produces some excellent writing. Mine is mainly short stories and I haven't had anything published yet. My two youngest GC enjoyed the Christmas one I did for them last year. Our group is planning an anthology next year if we can get a small subsidy from our U3A.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 15:08:50

Only crap on here.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 15:09:19

blush I should NOT have said that!!!

sorreee!

annodomini Fri 30-Nov-12 15:20:47

Of course you were speaking for yourself, weren't you, JO5? wink

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 15:35:34

Yes!!!!!!!! Only me!!!! shock

soop Fri 30-Nov-12 16:07:17

grin

Ariadne Fri 30-Nov-12 17:31:09

I have bought it; thank you, Broomsticks. I'm a poet, but a quietish one. Oh, and welcom to GN. Enjoy it. smile

(On the same theme as Broomstick's book, but at the other end of the age soectrum,I have to recommend "Tales of Beauty and Cruelty" by Kate Peety. It's a modern re working of Hans Andersen's stories, and I found it really exciting - made all my English teacher colleagues read it. And bought it for DG1!)

broomsticks Fri 30-Nov-12 19:46:01

Thank you very much for buying Broomsticks. Hope you don't hate it!
Sounds interesting - the Tales of Beauty and Cruelty and the poetry. U3A writers' anthology sound good too. I go to a writers' group too but we tend to talk more than we write. It's fun though and great people.
Jo5 you'd fit right in on authonomy forums. wink Better emoticons here though.

broomsticks Sat 01-Dec-12 09:54:03

I think I might have done something weird to this thread. Sorry, if I have! I haven't got the hang of how thing work here yet!

jO5 Sat 01-Dec-12 09:59:53

It's alright Broomsticks. You haven't broken anything. It's fine. smile

broomsticks Sat 01-Dec-12 10:05:14

Oh good. I thought I might be talking to myself again!

jO5 Sat 01-Dec-12 10:06:55

grin